Other apps or study resources people use in their daily study routine

Hi,
I thought it would be helpful to share the study resources people use in their daily or weekly study routines.

Every day i use Wanikani for learning to read Kanji and learning vocabulary
IKnow.jp to learn vocabulary in spoken sentences
Bunpro to learn grammar and hear spoken sentences

Pete

5 Likes

Hi:) Welcome to the forums!

We already have a thread for this:

^Well, sort of. At least if the point is to gain awareness of different resources.

2 Likes

And all the study logs.

1 Like

I’m also using those three resources, at least if we’re just talking SRS’s. I try to listen to podcasts, watch Japanese youtubers and read any random texts I can such as song lyrics and stuff I come across online but I have no routine for that unlike with Wanikani, Bunpro and Iknow.

Btw, are you aware of this? I find it ties Wanikani and Iknow together such that they both reinforce each other.

1 Like

True! Here is a list of some of the study logs, where people usually describe their routines and resources:

Thanks, that’s really useful. Interesting to find someone who routinely uses wanikani, bunpro and iknow as well as me. At the moment i’m really enjoying bunpro - i like hearing and reading lots of grammar examples.

1 Like

Personally, example sentences are the only way I can learn grammar. English explanations tend to just go in one ear and straight out the other. Especially words such as intransitive/transitive, nominalization, potential etc., they just confuse me more than they help… But I have much more luck understanding the concepts they try to explain if I just see them in a natural Japanese sentence. So Iknow and Bunpro are a very valuable part of my studies!

I’m the same. Wanikani and Iknow have an endpoint whereas bunpro is a bit more open ended. My aim is to complete all 3 in maybe a couple of years and am very very curious to see how my japanese will be then and what i move onto.

I’m also subscribed to lingq and i think that’s great for reading and listening but it’s open-endedness mean that i don’t spend that much time on it - i think my type of brain is attracted to things which can be completed even if that is illusory in reality

My daily routine is do all the wanikani reviews (i’m level 9 now), one hour of iknow and then go through all the examples of at least three bunpro grammar units, concentrating mainly on making sure i can understand the listening part of them. Lingq is an optional thing at the end of the day which i maybe do once a week

After completing all three, and probably much before that, you’d have a very strong foundation to start learning naturally through reading and listening. But I think the shift from SRS to immersion is a lot easier said than done… I’m not sure what the best approach is. Maybe something like Satori reader or Lingq as you mentioned (I’m not too familiar with this site) as a stepping stone?
But either way I think the switch should probably be gradual

My study log is already linked in the master list, but here’s the post I wrote summing up my daily routine and all of the resources that were most helpful to me in my first year of studying Japanese, and here’s the post I wrote summing up my daily routine and everything that was most helpful to me in my second year of studying Japanese.

I can’t really speak to what the best approach for immersion is, because I totally did it in an extremely non-optimal way, haha, and it was anything but gradual :sweat_smile:.

I use SRS and immersion in conjunction, though.

2 Likes

For listening and grammar, I like japanesepod101. The podcast itself wasn’t for me (all over the place, too much advertisement, which they call “news”), but going through the lessons systematically on their website has been super helpful.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.