Orange 🍊 Book Club // Finished

You didn’t ping me, but I’m gonna be away for the first half of July.

Though I confess I haven’t completely decided I’m gonna read this. Main character irritates me a bit…

1 Like

You’re right. Sorry! :bowing_woman: Good to know. :tangerine:

We can always delay a week or so. If you decide either way about reading, let me know. :+1:

I’m good with starting with what I have now and then picking up everything later!
I know I’ve seen the set sold altogether before for real cheap at a BookOff, so hopefully I can find that :blush: :tangerine: :tangerine: :tangerine: :tangerine:

1 Like

You just described every shoujo lead ever.

6 Likes

Not really a problem for me! But thanks for asking :slight_smile:
I’m taking the JLPT test on July 3rd and after that I’m on a vacation/trip, so I might miss the first week. But I don’t mind catching up later.
I also already read the manga once in english some years ago, so if catching up becomes a problem I might just skip a chapter.

2 Likes

Hey Guys :hugs:
sorry for my late reply and thanks for all your input!!

I had quite some stuff going on the last day (… holy * it really was only one day :face_with_spiral_eyes: :face_with_spiral_eyes:)
I think it would be absolutley lovely to read this manga with you, but I’ll probably have to pass, join in with later chapters/volumes or just read the series after you’re already through

I’ve got a ton of plans for July and I just got a call yesterday that I’d (finally!) get a flat - could have it from 1.7. onwards
so… yeah… erm… probably actually not tooo much time for anything next month it seems :see_no_evil: :see_no_evil: :sweat_smile: :see_no_evil:

I hope you will be enjoying yourselves and if my July wouldn’t be so busy I’d definitely join in but that’s just how it seems to be right now :see_no_evil: :sweat_smile: :see_no_evil:
…not that it would be something bad! just explaining my reasoning/decision ^^‘’

Have fun!!
:hugs: :hugs:

2 Likes

Congratz on the flat! :tada: I hope you’ll like your new home.

Moving is quite the ordeal. :orange_heart:

頑張ってね! :hugs:

1 Like

thank you :hugs: :hugs:
yeah you’re quite right about that :see_no_evil: :sweat_smile:
but if I don’t get out of this shared flat asap, I will go crazy sooner rather than later :joy: :see_no_evil: :sweat_smile:

ブッククラブたちも頑張ってね! :hugs:

3 Likes

Thanks so much for the :orange_heart:s. :blush: I’m feeling a little better today I think, at the very least I have less brain fog.

Leaving for NYC early tomorrow morning! I’ll let you know when I manage to acquire the :orange_book:. Hehehe.

4 Likes

The plot looks very intriguing, so I’m considering participating. However, I’ve only done ABBC for now so would like to gauge Orange’s difficulty. Are sample pages available?

2 Likes

For a sample, I recommend here:

Then select this button on the righthand side:

That gives roughly the whole first chapter of volume one.

Edit: It’s worth noting also that we’ll be reading at a fairly high pace (compared with ABBC and BBC). You’d want to aim for about seven pages per day (seven days per week) to follow at along at club pace. (But there’s no harm in reading at a slower schedule, either!)

2 Likes

For your convenience, I used the link @ChristopherFritz provided to take screenshots of the first four pages plus a dialog heavy page a few pages later in chapter 1.

First four pages

Dialog heavy page

Note: This was probably the most dialog heavy pages I saw in the first little bit, so it doesn’t seem to be the usual amount. But there seem to be quite a bit of text on many pages.

Might as well as it would be a good addition to the first post.

3 Likes

Looks like I’m eating rice for the next two weeks to help cover to cost of my latest manga purchase!

8 Likes
Vocabulary and Kanji and Frequency

The few people who follow my study log are aware that I track my known vocabulary and kanji in spreadsheets.

This lets me see which of my unknown vocabulary and kanji appear the most frequently in manga I’m reading. This helps me target the best words and kanji to focus on learning next.

It also lets me judge how likely I am to be spending time looking up unknown vocabulary words when reading.

I’ve made my spreadsheets available for others to use if they’d like, which I wrote about in this post.

For Orange, I’ve added data based on the first six volumes.

From this, I’m able to see that I know at least 96.5% of the kanji I’ll see in the series, as well as at least 90% of the vocabulary I’ll come across.

If I focus my learning only on kanji and vocabulary words that show up at least six times (an average of once per volume), that means I have 20 kanji and 22 vocabulary words I may wish to learn next.

Stats

The following stats are based on running the manga pages through OCR (optical character recognition). While the OCR I use (via Mokuro) is very good, there’s still the possibility for misparsing, especially if there is handwritten text.

For vocabulary words, I run a lookup through a dictionary to exclude non-dictionary words. Sometimes an actual word is mistakenly excluded, and sometimes a name gets included. For stats below, I’ve excluded any vocabulary that appears to be a name and any kanji that primarily (or only) show up in a character’s name.

Kanji

There are about 960 different kanji used (including in names), for a total of over 19,000 appearances of kanji.

Excluding kanji mostly used in names, it’s about 954 different kanji and a total of about 17,500 appearances of kanji.

Non-name kanji appearing more than 300 times are:

Kanji Count

Here’s a chart of the percentage of unique and total kanji you should recognize by how many levels of WaniKani you have completed:

Screenshot_20220619_115333

Vocabulary Stats

These stats will be inaccurate due to text parsing issues, causing the stats to be artificially high. At the same time, the text parser I use sometimes returns a form of a word not found in a dictionary (such as 消せる which appears in dictionaries as 消す), which causes the stats to be artificially low. With six volumes of material, it should still give a good idea of what to expect.

Excluding names, there are about 2,300 unique words to learn, spanning about 17,800 total appearances.

If we further remove words that appear only once, that gives 1,300 unique words, across about 16,800 appearances.

Focusing on words that appear at least three times, it’s closer to 935 unique words, appearing 16,080 times.

The most common words, appearing more than 200 times each, are:

Word Count
する 735
いい 284
言う 242
2 Likes

I think it is a fair guess to say that 菜 is that common because it is part of the main character’s name. Because browsing a bit through jisho seems to suggest it is mostly used in food related vocabulary, and I don’t think the manga is that much about veggies.

:tangerine:s on the other hand… :wink:

Thanks for the stats. :smiley:

4 Likes

Oops, I missed that one. I didn’t even think about it as being odd that it’s on the list!

1 Like

Still in NYC, but already struck out on :orange_book:. I will order ASAP!

P.S. NYC is cool!

3 Likes

Bad luck on :orange_book:. :frowning:

Enjoy NYC, it is a cool city! I need to visit again sometime.

2 Likes

Making polls is easy, then having to make the final decision from those makes me feel like a dictator. Can’t make everyone perfectly happy. :sob:

This is my proposed schedule, with a start date of July 2:

Start Date Chapter Page Numbers Page Count
Jul 2nd Letter 1 - Part 1 5 - 31 27*
Jul 9th Letter 1 - Part 2 32 - 56 25
Jul 16th Letter 2 57 - 100 44
Jul 23rd Letter 3 101 - 146 46
Jul 30th Letter 4 147 - 188 42
*In actuality this one is 24 pages of content with text, since the title pages take up 3 pages. Same for letter 2-4 are a couple of fewer pages each.

Since we only have a couple of paperback readers and only one who is without super easy access to buy, I don’t feel justified in starting the club later with so many ebook readers. :confused: If you guys feel fine with starting a week later (to give a bit more time), let me know. This is a democratic process so I’m trying to stay within the decision of the majority. :slight_smile:

On that note, somewhere in week 2, I’ll probably set up a poll to check if people want to divide chapter 2 too, or if we’re ready to go at the 1ch/week pace we’re wanting to go at.

Vocabulary sheet: Does anyone already have a ready-to-go blank template? If so, would you please create us a vocab spreadsheet. Otherwise I’ll get one set up in the next week.

10 Likes

Embrace your inner dictator!

Although not everyone is partial to the idea, oftentimes there is a generous free preview of the ebook available that can be used while waiting for a physical copy to arrive. For Orange, the whole first chapter is available online as a preview.

It’s a bit interesting that no one (that I know of) has come up with a vocabulary sheet generator. (I considered it while out on a walk over the weekend, but forgot by the time I got home…)

If no one rushes in to make a vocabulary sheet before I get off work in several hours, I can put one together.

4 Likes