Orange 🍊 Book Club // Finished

5 Likes

Chapter 20 is up a little early.

We’re mid-way through volume 5. How do you guys feel about starting volume 6? One week break? Or maybe two weeks to give people more time to catch up if they’re behind. With the end of the main story in volume 5, I don’t feel it matters story-wise with a longer break.

It would also help me with scheduling because I’m quite busy right around when volume 6 would start after a one week break.

How long a break between volume 5 and 6?
  • One week (Jan 14th)
  • Two weeks (Jan 21st)
  • Other, please comment below :slight_smile:
0 voters

I’ll look through volume 6th chapters and lengths next week so we can decide on reading speed.

1 Like

Btw, thanks to whoever made volume 5’s vocabulary sheet! :smiley: Because I just remembered that it needed to be done (3 chapters into it…). (Or did I do it and forget it? I don’t think so… :dotted_line_face: )

3 Likes

It was me :slight_smile:
It was no trouble, I don’t have enough time to commit to running a bookclub myself, but I like to help out where I can!

4 Likes

Very much appreciated! :bowing_woman:

I was a bit busy so completely forgot; I just came home from a UK trip. It was only lucky I prepped last week’s thread in a draft or it might have been very late. xD

2 Likes

Chapter 21:

3 Likes

We have a majority in favor of having a two week break between volume 5 and 6, so we will. Volume 6 will start Jan 21.

Also, I promise to find time to look up chapter lengths for volume 6 (and possible 7 too) this coming week. My super busy period basically starts soon after the first of the year, so I’d like to get all the admin stuff for the club done before then. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Okay guys, I finally looked through the ToC of both volume 6 and 7. I’ve put together a tentative schedule for both of them, starting from Jan 21st and then with a one week break between volumes 6 and 7.

Volume 6 is divided into four chapters, but without the extra chapter from another story, a couple of them are fairly long. But considering the later chapters are a bit shorter, I think it kinda averages out. Also there is a two page story (?) after the two page あとがき so I included that with the last normal chapter. Which is why it looks so funky.

Volume 6 Preliminary schedule

Start Date Chapter Page Numbers Page Count
Jan 21st 未来 6 - 61 56
Jan 28th 須和弘人 #1 63 - 122 60
Feb 4th 須和弘人 #2 125 - 155 31
Feb 11th 須和弘人 #3 + 大切な人 157 - 189 + 192-193 35

For volume 7 instead we have a lot more chapters than usual. And unless we want to pick up the pace. Aka reading amounts closer to the beginning of volume 6, I think I’ve put together the chapters in the most even way. So chapter 1 and 2 (of volume 7) would be read the same week. And then chapter 3 and 4 together. And after that one chapter per week again.

There is also a crossover chapter between Orange and 夢みる太陽, which I couldn’t find any information on when I looked around. So I’m not sure how connected/canon this is to Orange. It does come after the あとがき of the volume, so maybe not canon?

Anyway, I included it since it is in volume 7. Do note that I’ve still put each chapter on its own line, so some chapters have the same start date. This means that week 1 will be 30 pages, and week 2 will be 44.

Volume 7 Preliminary schedule

Start Date Chapter Page Numbers Page Count
Feb 25th 萩田朔 5 - 16 12
Feb 25th 茅野貴子 17 -34 18
Mar 4th 村坂あずさ 35 - 56 22
Mar 4th 須和弘人 57 - 78 22
Mar 11th 成瀬翔 #1 79 - 108 30
Mar 18th 成瀬翔 #2 109 - 138 30
Mar 25th 成瀬翔 #3 139 - 175 37
Apr 1st orange x 夢みる太陽 177 - 208 32

So those are the last two volumes. I am so interested to know what more questions we might get answered. :pleading_face: Will we know what happens after the end of volume 5? (End of volume 5 spoiler: What does the future look like for the Kakeru survives crew?!?!?!?!)

Now comes a couple of polls. I’ll wait with deciding the break between volumes until later because things might change for people by mid February.

Volume 6 schedule
  • The proposed schedule looks good (1 chapter per week)
  • Slower would be better, please leave suggestions in comments
  • Faster would be better, please leave suggestions in comments

0 voters

Volume 7 schedule
  • The proposed schedule looks good (see above)
  • Slower would be better, please comment with suggestions
  • Faster would be better, please comment with suggestions

0 voters

This feel both nostalgic and exciting. Almost the last polls for Orange. I just realized that maybe I should make polls to check what people thought of the main story volumes…

I will think on this as we’re not starting the last chapter of volume 5 until… tomorrow!!! :smiley:

5 Likes

Coincidentally, from my planned reading for 2023:

(The color is washed out because it’s at zero percent read.)

2 Likes

And here is the last chapter of volume 5!!! :partying_face:

3 Likes

Have many people read the end chapters that make up Haruiro Astronaut? I was planning to read them now having read the first one a while back, but I’m finding it quite confusing and a bit odd. Worth persisting?

@lucylavelle - what did you think, I saw you had read them I think?

2 Likes

I read them and found them to be alright, but I didn’t love them.
The characters all seemed a bit flat, and most weren’t very likeable.

If it had been a standalone book instead of a chapter at the end of each volume of Orange, possibly I’d have enjoyed it a bit more.
Reading a chapter only every 5 weeks or so meant that I was never fully engaged with the story, and also I constantly forgot which twin was which, so I got confused a few times by that! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks. I think I’ll probably skip them unless I get really bored on the plane.

3 Likes

I was planning to start reading 春色アストロノート about now, but with an Orange/Dreaming Sun crossover on the horizon, I figured I’ll start Dreaming Sun first and get to 春色 later on.

I’m only about 65 pages into Dreaming Sun so far, so it’s a bit too early for me to really comment on this one, but if anyone wondered how Kakeru would look with lighter hair:

5 Likes

And the end of the first volume of the 夢みる太陽 re-release, there’s a section where they mention characters that will show up in later volumes (they’re just tossing out spoilers???) and there’s an orange reference:

Now I’m curious to see in what way this character is 萩田(はぎた)みたい, but I’ll have to get through a few more volumes first.

This series feels very different from orange in that orange pretty much lays out the objective of the series up front, and I have no idea where 夢みる太陽 will be going past this first volume.

4 Likes

Completely random observation, but I just noticed something about the covers of the novelizations of this author’s stories:

Somehow, it makes me wish I were better at reading Japanese books so I could read through them. (I made very little progress on the first Orange novel.)

10 Likes

OMG, it is almost time to start reading Orange again. I haven’t read it for so long since I read ahead for scheduling reasons. xD

Anyway, I closed the poll for volume six in this post, but the schedule for volume 7 is still open, and probably will be for about two weeks.

So, Saturday volume 6 begins and runs for 4 weeks. Do remember that the first two week will be a bit heavier in page count, but will let up for the last two weeks.

I hope you guys are as excited as I am to continue this tale! Also @Sylph, we’re finally at new stuff for you, unless you gave up and read volume 6+7 already. xD

7 Likes

I’m so excited to get back to reading this, but I might have to start a little bit late.
I read 1-5 on Bookwalker, but decided to buy physical copies of the whole series since I’d enjoyed them so much, and read 6 and 7 in the physical versions.
…but they haven’t arrived yet…
If they don’t turn up by the end of Week 1 I’ll probably just buy the bookwalker version to read until they arrive so that I don’t fall too far behind. But fingers crossed they turn up in the next few days :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

You could probably make a start with the Bookwalker preview in any case.

5 Likes

Ooh, I hadn’t considered that! Thats a great idea, thank you :slight_smile:

3 Likes