Orange 🍊 Book Club // Finished

Bad luck on :orange_book:. :frowning:

Enjoy NYC, it is a cool city! I need to visit again sometime.

2 Likes

Making polls is easy, then having to make the final decision from those makes me feel like a dictator. Can’t make everyone perfectly happy. :sob:

This is my proposed schedule, with a start date of July 2:

Start Date Chapter Page Numbers Page Count
Jul 2nd Letter 1 - Part 1 5 - 31 27*
Jul 9th Letter 1 - Part 2 32 - 56 25
Jul 16th Letter 2 57 - 100 44
Jul 23rd Letter 3 101 - 146 46
Jul 30th Letter 4 147 - 188 42
*In actuality this one is 24 pages of content with text, since the title pages take up 3 pages. Same for letter 2-4 are a couple of fewer pages each.

Since we only have a couple of paperback readers and only one who is without super easy access to buy, I don’t feel justified in starting the club later with so many ebook readers. :confused: If you guys feel fine with starting a week later (to give a bit more time), let me know. This is a democratic process so I’m trying to stay within the decision of the majority. :slight_smile:

On that note, somewhere in week 2, I’ll probably set up a poll to check if people want to divide chapter 2 too, or if we’re ready to go at the 1ch/week pace we’re wanting to go at.

Vocabulary sheet: Does anyone already have a ready-to-go blank template? If so, would you please create us a vocab spreadsheet. Otherwise I’ll get one set up in the next week.

10 Likes

Embrace your inner dictator!

Although not everyone is partial to the idea, oftentimes there is a generous free preview of the ebook available that can be used while waiting for a physical copy to arrive. For Orange, the whole first chapter is available online as a preview.

It’s a bit interesting that no one (that I know of) has come up with a vocabulary sheet generator. (I considered it while out on a walk over the weekend, but forgot by the time I got home…)

If no one rushes in to make a vocabulary sheet before I get off work in several hours, I can put one together.

4 Likes

Decisions we can make along the way:

• Should the sheet for chapter one be split in two (for the two separate weeks)?

• Do we want a separate spreadsheet/file for each volume, or do we want to include multiple (or all) volumes in one spreadsheet/file?

It’s usually one spreadsheet/file per volume, but most manga book clubs have more than four chapters per volume!

3 Likes

Thank you so much! I appreciate the assist.

I was actually wondering if we should use the same thread for both parts of chapter 1 or not. I think it makes sense to set up the spreadsheet the same way the threads are. And I think I’ll basically decide depending on reply volume for the first week. If it is a lot, then have two threads. Not that much? One thread for chapter 1. ^^

Flying Witch uses the same spreadsheet for all volumes. I’ve been peaking in other clubs to look into things. And I think that is quite a nice solution. They have the first volume’s chapter in separate tabs and then each volume (from 2 and up) gets one tab each. I can definitely see also diving volume 2 into separate tabs depending on how filled in each chapter gets.

Also, we will have a lot of fun filling in page numbers since there seems to be max 2 page numbers printed in each chapter (from cursory look when trying to count pages and such). :joy:

This is starting to feel like a real club! Schedule set, start date set, vocabulary sheet. Just need to wait slightly less than two weeks and we’re off. :tada: :tangerine: :tada: :tangerine: :tada: :tangerine:

That reminds me, I need to go add us to the master list. *scurries away*

8 Likes

This is one reason I’d probably never nominate 「俺物語!!」. Volume one alone has maybe four page numbers, and they’re all fairly close to one another. Plus, it lacks any table of contents or chapter numbers, although each volume does split evenly into four chapters.) Then I nominated 「耳をすませば」 which is pretty much worse on all accounts, except that it’s only one volume long.

2 Likes

I just ordered Orange 7, and a whole bunch more books (physical)… My wallet will be crying blood for a while… :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

That’s actually an advantage of reading digitally :joy_cat: You just need one page number to determine the offset, and everything else falls into place.

7 Likes

I ordered :orange_book: yesterday (and, naturally, enough other books to qualify for free shipping), so between that and the free online preview of chapter 1, I should be good to go! And my wallet is also crying. :joy:

8 Likes

Just stopped by a used bookstore and got all 7 volumes for around $15!

All ready and excited to start this series! :blush: :tangerine:

9 Likes

I wish we had bookstores like that here… :disappointed_relieved:
envious much :see_no_evil: :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

My copy is scheduled for delivery tomorrow! :tangerine: :tangerine: :tangerine:

5 Likes

Well, it is July 2nd in Japan, so here goes:

(I’m a little busy tonight and most of tomorrow, so thought I’d get it up early. ^^ )

8 Likes

Ah, beautiful timing! I just got my copy and was thinking ‘hmm, can I start yet?’

5 Likes

If you live in Japan and have a Line account, you can also download Line Manga and read the first 2 volumes for free right now.

Note that you can download Line outside of Japan, but Line Manga will be blocked unless you are in Japan.

Screenshot for reference

5 Likes

I’m thinking of maybe doing week 2’s thread the same as the first week’s, aka all of chapter 1’s discussion would be in the same thread. I’m not married to the idea, so I’ll go with whatever you guys think (or I guess whatever you guys vote for).

Have Week 2 use the same thread as Week 1 (aka first and second half of chapter 1 in the same thread)?
  • Same thread is fine
  • I prefer a new thread for week 2
  • Either works for me

0 voters

2 Likes

I just finished Vol. 5 and I can confirm it feels finished, so I will wait to read the other two volumes when the club gets there hopefully. I won’t say anything else to avoid spoilers, just that I really liked the series :blush:

4 Likes

That is great to hear. I look forward to us catching up! :orange_heart:

3 Likes

Week 2 is here!!!

From the poll, it was clear people were okay with keeping chapter 1 to one thread, so below is the link to the week 2 participation poll as well as starting point for week 2.

5 Likes

Week 3 is here! Chapter/letter 2!

Once again, I’m posting early because I’m busy tonight and I might not get up and on the forums until later on Saturday, so I thought early is better than late. One of the mottos I live my life by. :sweat_smile:

8 Likes