Opps Button

Anybody ever fat finger a kanji when typing the romaji that you know only to them get it wrong because you typed an extra character? I really wish there was an ‘I fat fingered this, please let me re-enter it’ button. I go through my practice daily on both the pc and my mobile and at times I make mistakes on both for various reasons. For some reason, I was under the impression they had this option way back when…but I don’t see it now.

Can I request this feature be added, if it’s not already?

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure Wanikani doesn’t have that feature now.
What you could try is the override script which does what you are asking for.

3 Likes

I’d recommend [Userscript]: Double-Check (Version 2.x) over the Override script.

@kracktastic Those two scripts are really your only option, because as WaniKani states in the Feedback category:

Have an idea for WaniKani? Something you think that would make it better? Please post it in here. Also please try to make sure someone else didn’t already post the same feedback.

Some things probably not worth posting about:

• WaniKani is too slow
  • Let me undo a wrong answer (because I typed a typo, or really any reason at all).
7 Likes

There is a phone app version (Tsurukame) which lets you cheat; don’t abuse it!

2 Likes

thanks for the reply, i really appreciate it. honestly I probably should have check on the forum more for this. I wonder why they suggest it’s not worth posting about this? obviously it’s been brought up before…

im not looking to cheat, just correct the mistake I made where I knew the answer but typed it wrong. if you look at the title of my post, i even made a mistake spelling Oops. haha usually im pretty good but you know, life happens and people make mistakes…

2 Likes

They’re just adamantly against this feature for some reason and they refuse to consider it regardless of how many people bring it up.

1 Like

that is a shame. i can see where ppl may use it to ‘cheat’ but to be honest, that’s on the person using it that way. i’m not interested in cheating as it serves me no good. at any rate, thanks for the help.

3 Likes

That’s still considered “cheating” — although I do the exact same thing. Tsurukame doesn’t want you to use it for that purpose.

Tsurukame doesn’t want you to use it for that purpose.

What purpose do they want you to use it for?

not sure how you think that’s cheating. its the exact reason i would want to use it - i know the answer, just typed it wrong. am i misunderstanding you?

4 Likes

They do at least acknowledge that the button can be used for cheating; the Settings calls the toggle to enable/disable the button “Allow cheating”.

1 Like

It’s some sort of self protection for sure. It’s not like the feature is unoptainable, as we know. But letting anyone who tries WK for the first tiem just undo all their input might be too tempting. Once you go install scripts, you have a higher commitment already.

You could just bury it in the settings. :man_shrugging:

I do that at least once a day. But I just try to be more careful in the future, to take a split second to actually look at what I typed and see if that’s what I meant to type. It is annoying sometimes, but I don’t think there’s any drawback to extra practice in the long run. At least that’s how I’ve come to terms with my typos slowing me down.

That’d work too, but that’s all philosophy. I’m all down to give people an undo/ignore button. Adult(ish) people who buy an expensive subscription to a learnign platform should know how they want to learn. Or at least be aware of what they are doing wrong and do it consciously.

2 Likes

Whenever someone uses that button, an innocent puppy will feel lonely and hungry somewhere else…
Please use it with caution.

Honestly, on mobile, you really need that function in Tsurukame. I can’t count the number of times I’ve added a ‘p’ at the end of the word because it’s right next to the next button. And I’m pretty sure my phone keyboard is doing some kind of input prediction because I swear I hit ‘jou’ and it comes up as ‘jui’.

If I do reviews on the regular website, I’m fine since I’ll rarely mistype something but it’s a constant issue on mobile.

Honestly, on mobile, you really need that function in Tsurukame. I can’t count the number of times I’ve added a ‘p’ at the end of the word because it’s right next to the next button. And I’m pretty sure my phone keyboard is doing some kind of input prediction because I swear I hit ‘jou’ and it comes up as ‘jui’.

this is exactly my problem on mobile.

2 Likes