Ophthalmologist vs 目医者

Who says oculist, ever? It’s even marked as dated by google.

A dictionary… which is probably where some of these synonyms come from?

1 Like

Hmm, I feel like I’d seen that before *head desk*

Thank you ^^

Subtly removes mod tag from comment, even though it’ll still be in their notificaiton queue

1 Like

today i learned a new english word : 0 i only heard optometrist before

3 Likes

In Canada at least, optometrists are doctors of optometry, and are thus referred to as Dr. So-and-so (Mine is Dr. Acs, which is a great name). They are not doctors of medicine (MDs) which ophthalmologists are. Generally when people refer to an eye doctor here, they’re speaking about optometrists, because you wouldn’t see (haha) an ophthalmologist for normal vision problems that don’t require surgery or some major procedure.

An optician has graduated from a college program which certifies them to fit and adjust glasses based on the prescription of an optometrist or ophthalmologist.

An oculist is … I mean I’ve never heard anyone refer to a living person as an oculist in this century or the last.

2 Likes

I think there’s clearly a language issue when it comes to optometry, for example here in the UK it’s only been possible to get a Doctor of Optometry qualification since 2008, and it’s still not compulsory to have done that to be called an optometrist, just a one year post-graduate internship. You don’t have prescription rights as an optometrist without carrying out further certification after that point, in the same way an RN would.

In your example of Canada, it seems as if you’ve never had anything called an optometrist that wasn’t an O.D. In Australia, there are six qualifications you can take that would make you an optometrist, but only one of those was above the Masters level. Hell, in France an optometrist can be trained as an apprentice. Bottom line, don’t assume that somebody who works as an optometrist has a doctorate.

Tagging @kozumikkucrepeon because she knows about eye stuff ^^

2 Likes

Are y’all seriously gonna write that and risk a typo instead of writing ”eye doctor"? lmao

9 Likes

When you see a mountain :mountain: do you…

• Climb it! :triumph: (optimist option)
  • Find a way around it (realist option)
0 voters
2 Likes
  • Explode it (extremist option)
  • Eat or step on it (Galactus option)

0 voters

2 Likes
  • Admire it from afar and take photo
  • Admire it from afar and paint pretty painting

0 voters

2 Likes

Didn’t know this was POLL, lol.

As someone very far from native in English, I truly prefer to add a synonym I can easily remember over memorizing obscure English words that I’m unlikely to need. I can recognize the word and perhaps I could remember it and pronounce it correctly, but spelling it? Nah, that’s just too risky. I try to run reviews at 3-5s/word and words like these would either slow me down a lot or I’d constantly misspell them.

4 Likes

I can’t believe what I started with my innocent question…

4 Likes

I bet you OP of the paticles thread didn’t either…

3 Likes
  • Ends up just painting or taking a photo of the remains

0 voters

I’m still angry that I have paticles without their kana. :rage:

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

5 Likes

Well, you’re level 1, so that’s 27 levels ahead of me! All you’d have to do is delete your account once you learn enough paticles!

1 Like

What’s the optometrist option?

5 Likes
  • Admire the mountain from afar like @Redglare but use it as a vision test (目医者 option)
  • Realizes that mountains aren’t great for your teeth (歯医者 option)

0 voters

目医者 in this case should be interpreted to include all forms of “eye doctors,” including optometrists.

3 Likes

Not really. :wink: It’s just an account I created for the forums. For me, I like to have my posts judged by their content not my WK level (I’ve seen way too many give too much or too little credence to posts based on that number). I’m a lifetimer chugging away at around the same level as you. :slight_smile:

I had higher hopes for you… how disappointing.

• Paticles forever!
0 voters