On'yomi/kun'yomi warnings only sometimes show up?

How come sometimes there’s a warning (The ‘WaniKani is looking for ____ reading’) for some words and sometimes there isn’t? Shouldn’t you either implement it fully or remove it fully?

(not sure if there was another topic about this already, but I can’t find it so…)

It only appears on kanji items where both readings are correct but they’re looking for the other one. It does not show up on vocab items since words only have one correct reading.

2 Likes

Ahhh.
ありがとう
Welp, time to pummel my brain harder with remembering which words are exceptions to every rule. Yay, failing Level 2! Can’t even imagine how many more things you have to remember in levels as high as yours!

Hang in there! Level two has so many numeric terms that I feel it’s fraught with exceptions. And for every new exception, you’re also getting better at the things that follow a pattern.

1 Like

Please pick any kanji and open its info page. Say, level 2kanji “evening”.
In this particular kanji, can you see that the on’yomi is a bit transparent/opaque while the kun’yomi uses the regular font? In this case, Wanikani will ask only for kun’yomi when testing for this kanji. If you enter the on’yomi meaning, you will get the warning message. So you can be sure of which yomi Wanikani will ask you ahead of the reviews. It is not a random choice.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.