Onyomi v kunyomi readings

Yes but @athomasm said:

in reply to you, so I made that comment.

I think this line meant “Fujiyama” name for the mountain, not the 藤山 surname.

Okay, this isn’t an onyomi v kunyomi example, but it has boggled me, and I did get a screenshot.

What did I do to get this wrong? You can see the pronunciation I entered and the correct pronunciation at left and right. What is wrong here?

I’ve been doing better at readings, primarily by just trying to remember the last one WK showed me (which often is the reading I learned first, so still confusing!). So, improving. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

ろくがつ is correct so it is most likely a bug.

I don’t see anything wrong with your answer either. An extra space should have triggered a shake instead of a wrong answer, so that won’t be it either.

Hi, just wanted to let you know that this appears to be a bug in the app. It looks like you typed the answer exactly right, but for some reason the app doesn’t agree. I’m doing my best to find out what went wrong, but as far as I can tell this is not because of a mistake you made.

1 Like

Thanks for popping in! I still love the app, it’s really useful for keeping up with reviews (as on my flights yesterday)!

What app is that anyway? Looks pretty crazy.

Looks like this:

2 Likes

Can confirm it’s flaming durtles, I use it as well! It’s pretty great

Just wanted to let you know that I have found and fixed this bug. I have pushed 1.17.4 to the Play Store, once it’s approved it should fix this problem permanently.

2 Likes

That’s a pretty bold claim. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

That’s me. Bold and arrogant. :smiling_imp: Plus, I can always hide behind the vagueness inherent in the word “should”…

Seriously though, this bug has been the bane of my existence for the past few days. Since I couldn’t reproduce it (still can’t), it’s been hell to chase down. But thanks to one user in email I managed to get exactly the info I needed to fix it, and when I did I made sure I fixed it so thoroughly it can never, ever come back. Not to say there won’t be nasty bugs in the future, but they’ll be different bugs in different places.

5 Likes

Thanks for addressing it! I really do like the app. Made my flights more productive even offline. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Alright, now I’m curious. What was the bug, and how did you fix it despite still not being able to reproduce it? :smiley:

2 Likes

I wrote about the nature of the bug here: [Android] Flaming Durtles - Android app with offline support - #797 by ejplugge

How I fixed it is with the debug log. Flaming Durtles continuously writes a debug log of what it’s doing, and via an option in the settings menu, a user can upload their debug log to me.

When this problem was first reported, I was very confused and annoyed by it. So I added some more information to the debug log related to the choosing of questions and the judging of answers. I pushed a new update to the Play Store with that logging and waited for someone to report the problem was still happening, so I could then ask them to upload their debug log to me.

This happened yesterday morning, when a user with the problem contacted me by email. She uploaded her log, and it showed exactly the sequence of events leading to the bug. Comparing the logging to the code, I managed to reconstruct the sequence of events and I figured out the cause of the problem.

I still couldn’t reproduce it myself, but since I knew what was causing it I could just remove the cause, and that’s what I did.

2 Likes

Ah, a race condition diagnosed by logging - that makes sense. Thanks for the interesting read, and congrats for fixing it, it sure sounds annoying!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.