Online Grammar Program?

Hey guys! Question for you all. Is anyone aware of a Japanese Textbook/Grammar book that is similar to say TextFugu (which I would love to do but is no longer available for new users) or its spiritual successor (if it ever releases lol) EtoEto? I’d love something like that that is online. I’m aware of Tae Kim and of course Genki (though that isn’t online). Any suggestions?

1 Like

Tae Kim’s Grammar guide IS online! It’s free too. Honestly I would swear by that book. It’s how I study all my grammar independently.

I understand that a lot of people have issues with consolidating their grammar. For this, I recommend writing an explanation as if you were having to explain it to a complete ignoramus, make it as clear as possible and include lots of examples.

Just don’t make the mistake I did: make sure you learn your vocabulary and kanji! Elsewise you will have to do nothing but that for ages, and trust me, it can get dry when you’re only focussing on one part of the language.

1 Like

Sorry, I must not have been clear haha. I know Tae Kim is online, but that’s just a book. I’m looking for a PROGRAM similar to Textfugu or EtoEto, if that makes sense. I am planning on using Tae Kim though.

1 Like

Did you try Bunpro? https://bunpro.jp/

Or Human Japanese? Human Japanese | Products

Bunpro is an SRS for grammar. It relies a lot of producing sentences for the grammar point it’s testing. It doesn’t actually teach the grammar, but it has references both online or off for the topics it tests. Pretty effective if you are consistent with it (which I am not).

Human Japanese is more like an online textbook. I’ve heard it’s good, but I have no experience with it.

If you happen to have Genki, this site is a life-saver: Genki Exercises - 2nd Edition | Genki Study Resources

4 Likes

Ah, I see. The only one that I am aware of would be this website: https://marshallyin.com/

The website is organised chronologically, using its own level system that has lessons on all sorts like kana, kanji and grammar.

2 Likes

I’m looking into Bunpro as we speak haha. I will definitely check out Human Japanese too, thank you!

1 Like

I’ll check it out, thanks!

Before discovering Tae Kim’s Grammar Guide and Bunpro I used the Genki books. I recently came across the Genki Study Resources website and I think it might cover what you’re looking for.

It’s great for practicing what you learn in each Genki lesson through different exercises and quizzes. Even if you haven’t used Genki, I think you could still get a lot of use out of this.

I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can reccomend NativShark - it’s still fairly new, but I’ve been using it for about 3 months daily now and I love it! It is a little pricey, but it has a free trial if you want to check it out

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll look into it :slight_smile:

I use Tae Kim + Bunpro.

I wouldn’t recommend learning with Bunpro (it is only example sentences + links of where to read up on the point anyway, so it’s not exactly the Wanikani of Grammar).

It’s worth nothing that although Bunpro has a “Tae Kim” path, all it does is change the order of the points that were originally written in ‘bunpro order’. In practice this means that you hit points where the “answer” relies on you knowing not just the point you’re being tested on, but some future points you don’t know.

I know that sounds pretty bad; but actually I haven’t found it a blocker. This is because Bunpro has the ‘backspace’ [opps] button which un-does your wrong answer without effecting your SRS, so you take control and decide if you got it wrong because you didn’t know it, or because you couldn’t know it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like Lingodeer. It has a grammar point focus and then various types of exercises- listening, translation, eliminate the incorrect part, etc. It’s more developed in the app, so the website lags behind (like in adding more routes, like Japanese from French). There’s not really srs though, but they do make up for it a bit with a highly gamified app for practice. It’s probably not what you had in mind, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to tell you of its existence.

4 Likes

Yes, Lingodeer is good. It’s like an interactive textbook.

3 Likes

Yes LingoDeer seems to be a nice learning app. I linked to the tofugu reviews in the following post, in case you are interested:

Another resource that may interests you could be kanshudo. They as well focus on different aspects of learning and engaging with Japanese including reading corner and stroke order teachings.

You can access the program for free (I think you don’t necessarily need an account… but your progress can’t be saved without an account).

To go through their different studying tracks (beginner / intermediate / advance) you’ll need to subscribe. Again, you can try out the first couple of lessons for free though, to see if it suits your learning style.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.