One yojijukugo (four character idiomatic compound) for each level

Update!
Prepared signatures and cover. Going for an exposed back binding.

3 Likes

Interesting. I didn’t know you could write this using 十 as well.
I’ve only ever seen 千人千色.

The level 2 one literally translates as “three day government,” right? I get that 下 implies that the government falls, but I’m not sure how to incorporate it. Plus, it sounds very good, imo, like this in English.
Alternatively, it could be something like… “Governments fall after three days”? “…last only three days”? Or going by the meaning you wrote, maybe something like “Three day rule” where we again leave the implication that it the rule ended (fell, dropped…).

You’re not sure how to incorporate what? What are you incorporating into what?

Nvm, I just jisho’d that 天下 means “country”. And I took it as “government” (天) and “fall” (下)

Looking at this topic again makes me want to step up my yojijukugo studies again. I’m taking Kanken level 4 this weekend and I’ll be happy if I recognize 1 or 2 of the yojijukugo, I think.

4 Likes

I just wanna say that this post is competely awesome it goes from 四字熟語 (which is my new favorite thing ever), to a bookbinding party. I haven’t seen this one posted so I’ll add it here:

焼肉定食 〜 やきにくていしょく
Grilled meat set meal. (Which is a play on the 弱肉強食, survival of the fittest). I’m guessing this one doesn’t count for the Kanzen.

1 Like

I ordered this 3k yojijukugo deck by WK level if anyone’s interested

https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1436769377

5 Likes

… Is it, though?

2 Likes

Can’t find my source on that now but it’s a sound thing

弱肉強食 - じゅくにくきょうしょく- weak meat the strong will eat
焼肉定食 - やきにくていしょく- seat meal with grilled meat

@Kumirei awesome!

Yes, but, both 焼肉 and 定食 are already words without the yojijukugo. And it makes logical sense to put them together when you’ve got a yakiniku set meal.

I mean, it is a joke :sweat_smile: or a パロディ as the wikipedia puts it.

Apparently it was also a quite common mistake on the Kanken tests in the 80’s.

1 Like

That joke also appears in ハヤテのごとく, but cranked to 11. While the main character expect one of the ボケ characters to answer that, they go ahead and write お肉を食べ. (The main character then scream that there are way too many problems with that answer: they are not kanji, the べ doesn’t fit, …)

1 Like