One Piece: Vol 1 Discussion (Chapters 1-8)

I often overread the onomatopea and don’t care that much about them. So I’m no expert to answer your questions.
My take: I read the zan as the noise you get from cutting, so your behading guess makes a lot of sense for me. Something along the lines of Drawn sword sound effects (free) - YouTube
Haven’t thought about the muki but since he is trying to appear “strong” and wants to be taken seriously I think your guess makes sense there as well!

1 Like

@kelsyp thanks a lot for the vocab sheet! makes adding things to kamesame way easier! :+1: :slightly_smiling_face: (having 海賊(かいぞく) in my reviews makes me unreasonably happy every time it comes up :laughing:)

not part of the story but here the small print on the bottom of the very first page inside the book with furigana :smile:

★この作品(さくひん)はフィクションです。実存(じつぞん)人物(じんぶつ)団体(だんたい)事件(じけん)などには、いっさい関係(かんけい)ありません。

作品 - work (e.g. book, film, …)
実存 - existence
人物 - person, character
団体 - organization, association
事件 - event
など - et cetera, etc.
いっさい - all, everything, absolutely
関係 - relation, connection

1 Like

Everyone should be able to make updates to it! I think it should let you update anonymously even, so you don’t need to sign into google. Let me know if you aren’t able to update it, and I can change the setting!

1 Like

ah, yes - it works and i’ve already added a few but didn’t actually think of adding the ones above :smile: will do right now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha, no worries!! Thanks for adding them :smile:

1 Like

I’m so confused by 間抜た顔 on page 13 said by bandit leader dude. I found a word 間抜け面 (まぬけずら) and it seems pretty close to furigana on the page (can’t see it too well on the website unfortunately) but it should have 面 kanji instead of 顔 and also 間抜け seems to be な-adjective so maybe it should 間抜な. What’s going on here, am I missing something?

I technically finished reading 25 pages but had to look up 100 words or so :expressionless: , not sure if I’m on appropriate level yet tbh :slightly_frowning_face: But I love One Piece and already familiar with the story so try to persevere for a while longer maybe

2 Likes

It’s 間抜けた顔. It’s a shortening of 間の抜けた顔.

It means something literally like “a foolish face.” Basically he’s saying the person looks stupid or like a fool.

間の抜けた means idiotic/stupid/foolish/silly.

2 Likes

I’ll try to answer, I’m not one hundred percent either, but maybe someone else can add on later. I hope I have the right bubble, because mine is on page 17, but it’s the first appearance of the bandit dude :

間抜け stupid; foolish; idiotic

間抜けた - ta form

and the last part is 顔 (かお) though I don’t know why the furigana would say シラ

whole bubble :

初めて : first time

見た : saw (-ta form of 見る)

ぜ : I guess a sentence ending, used to make a sentence threatening or ironic or to add light force or emphasis

間抜けた: stupid

顔 : face, visage, look, expression, countenance

して : -te form of する, I think in the meaning of to wear (a facial expression) here

やがる: **indicates disdain or contempt

So the bubble translated would be roughly :

First time I saw (context from last bubble : pirates), they have stupid faces, huh?

Seems @anon54313967 already answered while I was typing my response, didn’t see it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The (English) book club I’m a part of in real life has decided to read volume one of One Piece this month. Since I can read that in a single sitting quite easily, I thought I’d set myself an extra challenge and read it in Japanese too. With that in mind, perhaps I should follow along with this thread.

Not that I’ve gotten around to buying the book yet…

5 Likes

Also forgot to mention the furigana for 顔 was ツラ not づら. つら is a more derogatory way to say “face.” It’s kinda like in English if you said “He’s got one ugly mug.” Though in the case of the dialogue in question substitute in stupid/idiotic/etc.

Oda probably used the 顔 kanji just to explicitly reinforce this ‘face’ meaning and to avoid it maybe being mistaken for 面 read as づら which is a suffix.

4 Likes

let me know when you get to chapter 983!! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Check back in about 227 months at the current rate of reading. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

4 Likes

Just wanted to add a quick note for the schedule that we can officially start the second half of the chapter! I love some of the lines that are coming up! :grin: Feel free to continue talking about the first part of the chapter, btw - just make sure to add page references.

Kinda forgot to keep up last week, so I’m playing catch up.

Before I contribute this to the vocab sheet, though, I wanna double check: When Shanks uses the term “カナツチ” on page 11 when talking to Luffy, I’m guessing it’s meant to mean “someone who’s bad at swimming”? At least that’s the one thing from my glances at Jisho that would really fit. I doubt he’s calling him a hammer.

“Hammer” is the origin, yes, but as you noted, the meaning is more like “swims like a hammer” (i.e. not at all).

2 Likes

Thank you very much for replies @anon54313967 and @anon3564849! Sometimes it’s really hard for me to figure out what is the original set of words which was shortened somehow, need to improve my dictionary skills :slightly_frowning_face:

the meaning is more like “swims like a hammer”

In Russian we say “swims like an axe”, in English it seems to be mostly “like a stone/rock/brick”. Really funny how this idiom is slightly different in different languages

2 Likes

Russian? If you reside in Russia like I do, may you tell me where did you acquire your physical copies of one piece? I’ve got 1-27 volumes on avito for example, cuz tokado.ru seemed just a bit more expesive than I wanted. Or maybe you are reading a digital version on something like bookwalker?

Well, for now I’m just reading from Shounen Jump Plus linked above since 3 chapters are for free so can’t help you that much with this unfortunately. If I were to continue I would probably go with digital though since physical books take too much space imo :expressionless:

1 Like

But they are so cool to have! You know, as a fan you enjoy a sight of them. Also their cost doesn’t really change be it digital or real. So real one is more beneficial if you share my feelings. But seems like you don’t :durtle_tomato:. Well, that’s a new point of view for me I guess. I won’t bring up this topic anymore to keep the thread clean. Thanks for reply.

3 Likes

I’d probably prefer having it physical, too, mostly because some of the furigana are all but unreadable and I’m guessing it’s because of the scan quality.

Hell, some of the more elaborate kanji just turn into a mess of lines.

2 Likes