Monthly Check In/Progress

I’m looking forward to see how far you have come along!!

1 Like

Likewise! I’m scheduled to level up on Monday night, so I might drag my feet on posting my stats until after that :wink:

1 Like

Alright! Two months in (plus an extra day because in my vanity I wanted to wait until I leveled up).

wk2

I’m pleased that my accuracy is going up (lot of dumb typos early on…still some here and there but mostly it’s looking for accurate now, I’m not always great about remembering rendaku on vocabulary).

The next couple weeks are going to be really busy with work things but then I have a full week off from one of my two jobs at the end of the month and I’m hoping to get back to some reading and other study but for now it’s just wanikani when I have time and some light listening practice.

How are you doing, @sushi-fish? (or anyone else two months in that wants to share their stats with us!)

1 Like

Wohoo, can’t believe we are already two months in!
Congratulations for making it to level 10 @danarchy - your leveling up times are super consistent!

I hope that you make some progress even with being busy at work, a week off from at least one job sounds nice!

I just got home from work myself, here are my current stats:

status

I started doing KameSame as additional learning resource but what really helped me get up my accuracy was BishBashBosh
I use it after every review and it really helps me with the words I fail more often.

Overall I can’t complain with my progress. I’ve been busy thanks to my fulltime job but it’s not stopping me from doing reviews in my coffee and lunch break :joy:

1 Like

And I’m taking it even slower, I’m here since December 31st xD

2 Likes

Where are you getting that daily chart from?

1 Like

I also started wanikani taking it at a snails pace and it took me around 6 and a half months just to get to level 10 while its taking them only about 2 months to get there but honestly I find it encouraging that people are out here getting through wanikani this fast. I only got into a rhythm and started figuring out how to get through levels without taking a really long amount of time recently. Cause instead of 6.5 months to get from level 1-10 its only taken me 4.5 months to get from there to level 21 which is still a lot of time but I only really got into this rhythm of taking only a little over a week to complete each level within the past 4-5 levels. Basically, all this to say I love the individuality that everyone has while going through wanikani. Just figured I’d share my own story here cause it was fun to see their progress after just a couple months.

4 Likes

That’s perfectly fine! Keep going at your own pace. Being consistent and steady is more important then going fast.

That is the heatmap script, I highly recommend it. Other scripts I use are the ultimate timeline to keep track of my reviews and the workload graph to show me the review history.

That’s exactly it, I just am a fan of comparing stats - it’s not necessarily about being super fast for me personally - though I do have to say that this thread helped me greatly with motivation.
I think your story is very inspiring, making it from 6.5 months to 4.5 is great. Everyone has their own rhythm and you found yours!

1 Like

Oh yhe, I know. I have no problem with that at all, it was just a kinda funny funny remark :stuck_out_tongue: I’m perfectly okay with my pace as of now, mainly because of uni taking a lot of time.

1 Like

Awesome work @sushi-fish, you seem to really be finding your pace. Doing wanikani during lunch and coffee breaks is perfect! I’m still working from home, so it’s easy to squeeze in when I need a break from other things :wink:

1 Like

I love your story! Thanks for sharing. I think I’m mostly only keeping this pace from the beginning because most of the kanji are not entirely new to me - many of them I already know or knew at one point. The vocabulary is more of a mix, but there’s plenty of words I know and some that I know the meaning from (but not the reading of) from living in Japan and being exposed to them regularly. I’m forever impressed with people working through wanikani with less background in Japanese. I’m also just really interested in seeing the wide range of experiences of people working through wanikani.

Yes! Me too! I probably would be leveling up to Level 10 tonight instead of yesterday, but knowing I was going to be sharing stats with you motivated me to go for it and get it done a little earlier. :slight_smile:

Especially with uni! It’s hard to break up studying with more studying - way to stick with it!

1 Like

I just started working again after a lockdown break with a lot of home office, but it’s not bad - my cowoerkers are actually encouraging me and reminding me to do the reviews so that’s nice :joy:
I’m glad to hear you are able to squeeze in your reviews :+1:

I can only say this: I’m looking forward to see your stats again next month and compare them again!

Ok, figured out the scripts, here’s my progres after 2 months, only missed couple day when I was not at home:

It’s been slow progress and reading is definitely giving me trouble. Main issue I find is that even if I remember the mnemonic, I then need to figure out whether it references how the hint word is written or spoken. If it is the latter, then there is the trouble of figuring out how it is said in english accent and then figure out how to translate that into hiragana.

My native language does not have the same problem as English where characters are pronounced differently depending on context, rather it is very similar to Japanese. So instead I’ve been trying to make my own mnemonics in for each kanji that I struggle with.

1 Like

I think making up your own mnemonics is a great strategy. I make up some of my own too.

I have this problem too, but I find that after getting it wrong a couple (or a few times) I start to figure it out.

I think once you get a little further along and know more Japanese, this will get easier because you can make mnemonics with Japanese words and then you won’t have this additional step.

1 Like

Happy 3 month-versary @sushi-fish!

Here’s my stats update. :slight_smile:

As you can see, I hit my longest time on a single level - thanks to my work running a 4-day online conference for work. :skull_and_crossbones: I think I’m still feeling the after effects of that upset to my routine - some of those kanji/vocab are coming back up and I seem to be getting more of them wrong and as a consequence my accuracy is going down slightly…I’m also starting to hit a lower accuracy with my summaries too. But overall, I’m still really happy with how things are going.

wk4

I had a pretty exciting moment this past month too when I came two instagram posts by native speakers where I was able to read all the kanji! (One was a previous student of mine when I was an ALT - I can’t believe he just celebrated his 28th birthday! - and the other is a Japanese friend I made while working on a farm in Japan during the summer almost 6 years ago).

I need to get back on some more focused reading practice though.

How’s it going with you? Also, how are you doing @samk ? I’d love to see stats from anyone else who wants to share.

1 Like

Still going strong, I fell in bit of a drought when I tried to follow the “max 100 items at Apprentice” methodology which killed the forward momentum, but now picking up the pace again. Missed couple days just due to lack of energy, working 2 jobs and writing thesis at the same time can occasionally make it bit difficult to manage the study time.

My biggest enemy right now is the kanji for “Month” when it changes reading seeminly at random:
来月 = らいげつ
何月 = なんがつ
毎月 = まいげつ

1 Like

For kanji like month and person (which kan be jin/nin just at random as well) I had to make a rule like “The default is getsu. Whenever the reading is gatsu, I have to picture the Great Gatsby doing something with the other part of the word. Like nangetsu - great gatsby eating nan. If there is no picture, then it’s likely getsu” :stuck_out_tongue: an extra mnemonic but I couldn’t get it to stick otherwise!

Edit: Oh, and all the month names are gatsu, and nangatsu. Otherwise I think they’re all getsu.

2 Likes

I missed updating last month but I’m back for my 5 month-iversary.

wk1

wk4

I’ve slowed down substantially. In April, my grandmother passed away which led to a lot of family obligations (and drama) which threw my routine completely out the window. I did manage to do some reviews every day during that period (even though some days it was only 5 reviews). After falling behind, I found it difficult to get back in my rhythm but I’m slowly getting it back.

My life is a little in flux at the moment too with things reopening and gearing up to start a doctorate program this fall, so I’m just leaning into a slow pace. There’s no way I’ll be going back to a level in 7-8 days but I may be able to start hitting 10 days soon. We’ll see. I’m not really in a hurry.

Other studying has definitely fallen off too (though I did watch the new Sailormoon movie when it was released last week). But an exciting thing is I’ll be meeting up with some Japanese friends (and meeting their toddler for the first time!) in a couple of weeks, so I’m sure I’ll be practing a bit then. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Half a year into my WaniKani journey! Finally I’ve started burning items :v:t4:

I’m really working on just taking my time with the journey - for instance I’m a few days into level 19 but haven’t started on this level’s kanji yet, instead focusing on catching up with my vocabulary from level 18. I should be ready to start tackling the kanji tomorrow.

wk1

wk4

I’ve been on top of doing at least some reviews everyday so far. I have a dental surgery scheduled next week so my streak might die that day… :grimacing: I’ll have several days of recovery ahead then so I might opt to jump into vacation mode for a few days then too.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.