On the Fear of Guru Reviews

There is some good advice here, but I think you should also look at what those items are before focusing on the metrics and getting wrapped up in them.

Apprentice 1, 2, 3, 4
Guru 1, 2
Master 1
Enlightened 1

If you imagine a perfect world where you follow the above suggestions and never miss an item during reviews you will still have about 75% of your upcoming reviews be apprentice and guru items. Depending on your schedule you will never go below 60-80 apprentice items doing reviews on time (assuming a 20 lesson/day) schedule.

For people at a slower pace 100 apprentice is a nice metric, at a faster pace it’s unforgiving for someone legit new to the material. As the others have pointed out, doing the bulk lessons only makes this more difficult to monitor, will put users in spikes of stress, and be a general PITA when trying to slide in a few lessons here and there with a batch size of N.

But really, what I think you should take away from this is having realistic targets and views on these numbers. 0 apprentice items are just not a thing on a consistent study schedule and I think it’s more healthy to aim for a consistent schedule than to do bulk batches. Guru much closer in weight to apprentice than the general advice probably leads people to believe. Really, when you think about it, the “problems” and fears you are facing a probably a lot more normal for your situation than you’re giving it credit.

As for general advice, when I’m not being lazy I’ll do a self-study quiz after a review session to get extra practice on the items I’ve missed. It really helps with relearning things I’ve forgotten and massively impacts my stats.

There are a few third party mobile apps that have support for script like behavior, offline mode, self study quiz, ect. Check out the threads for whatever is appropriate for your platform.

Android

[Android] Flaming Durtles - Android app with offline support
[iOS/Android/Windows] Jakeipuu

iOS

[iOS] Tsurukame - native app with offline lessons and reviews
[iOS/Android/Windows] Jakeipuu

2 Likes