OMG - level 4

I had some medical issues that sidelined me for a month and a half after I got halfway through Level 4… I came back to 500 reviews and it’s taken me three days to clear my cue but I’m back to full steam ahead.

4 Likes

I think it helps to not stay too long at any radical/kanji/vocab lesson/review. Just read lessons once, try to imagine the mnemonic and move on. Same for reviews: Just give it a shot within at most 1 minute. If you weren’t correct it doesn’t really matter as you have endless chances anyway and can reread mnemonics :joy:

The thing I can’t wrap my head around is transitive/intransitive verbs… ~ru? ~reru? dasu? deru? Is there a pattern? Arggh xD

1 Like

Start skimming through a beginner level grammar book to get the difference between those.

~ru = regular verb form
~reru = potential form (can, am able to, etc.)

Go to the grammar resource page and you’ll find tons of recommendations, some of them are free.

Tae Kim might be a good place for quick reference until you go with a grammar book.

2 Likes

I hope you are well now konsaki-San

I bought the tae Kim book. I think he deserves it <3

Also, does it cover all the “main” grammar or should I search for a “heavier” book?

おれは元気ですよ!!!

1 Like

良かった :hugs:
じゃあ,勉強をしましょう

No, the book goes from basics to advanced. It’s pretty nice.

I’d say the book covers a lot of main grammar, but definitely not all of it :slightly_smiling_face: I’ve also heard the book has some misinformation, but don’t quote me on that because I might be wrong :thinking:
Personally after using Tae Kim’s book I started using Bunpro.jp and “A Handbook of Japanese Grammar Patterns.” C: I also have the Genki books which cover basic grammar.
If you’re just starting out I think just that is fine, but once you’re more advanced you will probably need to find a heavier/more advanced book

3 Likes

Yea, I’m at level 4 as well and the 100+ reviews can be overwhelming. Especially as the Spring semester comes to an end. It’s hard to do College Japanese with 60 words + 15 kanji + 4-8 grammar points per lesson, and then on top of that do WaniKani.

Only good thing is that WaniKani will eventually pay off and make class significantly easier.

Oh, thanks for sharing this! “A Handbook of Japanese Grammar Patterns” may be exactly what I’ve been looking for. Earlier, I was considering “A Dictionary of Basic/Intermediate/Advanced Japanese Grammar,” but from reading a couple reviews, it looks like this is better.

1 Like

This is sort of an odd statement You wouldn’t use A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar as a study book. It’s a reference book not grammar teaching book. So saying you would chose the former over the latter seems odd since both books have completely different goals.

Just like how you wouldn’t crack open the Merriam-Webster Dictionary to learn English.

1 Like

I don’t suggest doing everything and flooding yourself. You will be overwhelmed. Unless you’re just that fast of a learner at this, which it sounds like you’re not (not a bad thing). My first time around I got way overwhelmed because I did just that. After I reset, I made a goal to keep my reviews at about 100. If I’m lower I’ll do a few lessons, if more well it is what it is.

1 Like

Yep, I did exactly the same thing. Tried to go blow through each WK level as quickly as I could, study Tae Kim, try to read graded readers and tried to read manga all at the same time while juggling a job and life. It was just too much too soon and I got burned out around level 12 or 13 and got stuck on those levels for like 3 weeks or so. This time around I try really hard to do the same things are you are. Now, it’s easier this time since I’m basically reviewing mostly words I got to enlightened but I think my pacing and schedule of other study is much more balanced.

Somewhat like the previous reply to you, I would look up the grammar on verb conjugations to distinguish normal verb tenses (do:する), passive (being done:される), and potential (being able to do:できる).

Wanikani will often teach you the normal/passive or transitive/intransitive verbs separately so it’ll help you remember them if you learn the grammar first :).

You can also learn causative (make/let someone do:させる) while you’re at it but wanikani generally doesn’t have vocab in this tense.

1 Like

I was overwhelmed at first as well. I saw a tip on here at one point that someone kept their apprentice amount between 80-100 and added new ones when they dipped. This doesnt allow for the fastest level up, but I dont have time during most days to do 100+ reviews multiple times. So this has helped maintain the amount or practice there is at one time

2 Likes

And now I see multiple people gave the same advice. It worked well for me

Welcome welcome! Don’t get sucked into a big competitive thing. Take your time and enjoy the learning. Things will stick better that way too. I raced through the first few levels (I’m a newbie too on Level 8), but now I take a little more time and I’m having a lot more fun. It is not a race! Gambarimashou!
Lolly (BonzoCleo-a silly moniker but…)

2 Likes

I’m giving Tae Kim a try. His explanations help a lot! And he’s got the exact topic transitive vs intrasitive as a lesson <3

Also I wish on WK we could rate mnemonics. The one for the Cut kanji is definitely among my favourites :laughing:

2 Likes

Ah, yes. I remember feeling a sudden increase in volume at Level 4. Although I was still able to keep more or less full pace until Level 7. That was the first time I had to avoid doing vocab lessons because vocab from previous level was still Apprentice and new Radicals and Kanji were quite overwhelming. I still have 50 lessons queued for the past three days lol. I guess we just have to experiment to find what pace suits us :eyes:

2 Likes