Olympians (medalists announced - congrats everyone!)

Congrats to @avalia for getting halfway Death already! :open_mouth:

7 Likes

Thanks!! It feels good to be back after the small break, ready to get to full speed again and into hell asap :fire::fire::fire:

7 Likes

Congrats on the level ups @avalia and @_Shiori !

8 Likes

Thank you @kitsunensei! It’s good to have you back :sparkles:

6 Likes

Congratz on level up, @avalia!

I also agree with @_Shiori, it is good to have you back @kitsunensei!

6 Likes

wha- it- its not like I wanted to be welcomed back

9 Likes

Thanks for this. I just downloaded Flaming Durtles. So far I’m liking it.

3 Likes

You are super welcome. Until recently, I was using WK for WaniKani too. It was literally the only app for Android users, and whilst it was fine, it had very limited functionality. Flaming Durtles only came out recently, but is really good. It’s creator is constantly updating and improving it too. Hope you love it as much as I do!!
:jp::heart::+1:

It’s THE BEST, isn’t it?
Make sure you visit the forum page if you have any app suggestions. The developer is an WK-er and is very receptive to feedback.

@madtapa - - I didn’t know what do you even kana was and had to look it up. Lol. My bad.
Flaming Durtles doesn’t do that… But the creater of the app is super open to feedback and suggestions given via the WK forums. You could go into that thread and suggest that you would like to see the do you even kana users script incorporated into the app.
I wouldn’t be surprised if you were obliged. The creator replies to each message posted in the forum and will take on board your suggestion or explain limitations why it cannot be done. That said, the creator of the app has managed some really cool stuff, including the incorporation of the jitai script.
Go and check it out. You won’t be disappointed.

6 Likes

THANK YOU!
I needed to hear this.
You’re the best!!

4 Likes

You can see from my time graph just how much longer those levels took me. Part of the issue was that I was on a road trip for part of levels 20 and 21. but even on the road I was doing tons of reviews. I just found the vocab for 20-22 unusually difficult. Even now as the vocab and kanji from those levels come back around I still struggle with them.

5 Likes

Congratulations on such super work! Your graph is consistent and quite amazing. You should be very proud of yourself. I wish mine looked like that. In saying that tho… At least I’m still moving ahead, even if it’s not at the speed I planned.

I returned to work after maternity leave around level 9… as you can see, that slowed me down permanently. It’s hard to get as much done as I would like to now that I’m working and I have an almost 2 year old little miss to contend with when I’m at home. Busy, busy.
Nearly gave up at level 17… For some reason that level killed me.

7 Likes

Oml @emucat! Welcome to reality!

Also it’s been a while since I’ve given a leech update. That rush of levels really did a number on the amount of leeches I had. They kept on increasing, but now it’s slowly going down again. Also, I have also been tracking individual leech groups! It’s some pretty nifty information. You can really see where all those leeches are going all that time.

8 Likes

No reason you should know - there’s so many scripts! I find it really helpful for catching a certain kind of obvious typo in a way that’s especially nice to have on a mobile device, so I may well mention it on the Flaming Durtles thread at some point! (Currently I’m kidding myself that I’ll have my laptop available from now on, just since typing on a phone inevitably takes longer, but once that fantasy is shattered I’ll likely do more follow-up with this :wink: )

3 Likes

It really makes it feel like you’re making progress, plus you realize how many items are getting out of your pile :smiley: I kind of miss it, tbh.

Regarding scripts, the only one I feel I'm missing on mobile is the reorder script. A couple times I've leveled up on the road and it's kind of frustrating the fact that I can't get to my radicals without doing tens of previous level vocab and ruining my workload balance for the rest of the week. On those cases I take the hit and wait until I can use a computer.

I’ll try Firefox on iOS, hopefully it’ll work as well

There’s this podcast that @avalia recommended a while ago

It’s made for Japanese learners and they publish vocabulary lists on their website, so I think it’s quite good!

My personal recommendation, and what I mainly use for listening practice, is Maaya Sakamoto’s “from everywhere”. It is not made for learning, but it is native talk about simple, every-day topics (it’s mostly reading fan mail), so I think it can also be a good resource.

6 Likes

@carlostdev congrats on the level up!!

5 Likes

Yours looks pretty steady to me - 10 to 12 days most of the time. Well exvept for level 17. Pretty darn impressive under any circumstances, but particularly given the two year old. They’re so unpredictable at that age. Keep it up. You’ve got this! We’re going to have to make you a sign - “No more 17s”

7 Likes

Congratz to @carlostdev and @emucat!

8 Likes

I’ve been loving your use of Sailor Moon gifs recently <3

5 Likes

:smiley: Sailor Moon was most likely the first anime I watched, although Pokemon was also very early. Both of them dubs to Swedish, of course, since I watched them when I was young. I like to only use gifs from things I know, so I usually know how they were actually used in the show they belonged to. ^^

4 Likes

It’s such a classic, I had 2 cassette tapes growing up and I basically know them by heart still :innocent:

2 Likes