Olympians (medalists announced - congrats everyone!)

As pensei said in the very first post:

I, for certain, got very motivated, so it works for me. I’m going to be in Japan by that time, so it happens to be a perfect goal. Also, I got Wanikani figured out now; the best way for me to learn what I need to learn, and how to use WK’s mnemonics and come up with my own as well.

And personally, I think there’s nothing wrong with a bit of competition.

9 Likes

This is us setting a goal and tracking our progress. Even if we don’t reach our goal it helps us keep focussed and disciplined, this is what is required to learn a language. These threads are a good thing for those who use it as motivation, teamwork and friendly banter. Whatever the situation, I will reflect on my journey come the Tokyo Olympics fondly.

6 Likes

I agree with @pensei. This thread is a friendly motivational group of likeminded people who are helping each other along their language learning journey.
Being level 10 now, I doubt I’ll get to level 60 by the Olympics in 2020, but I’ll do my best to learn what I can and this channel is a fun place to chat with people who have the same ethos. That said, even if you “race” you can only go as fast as the SRS system allows you to, which in itself is built in to maximise learning and retention. I find it if I do my reviews at the SRS timing, I remember more and as a result, level up faster.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this thread does not need to be shut down bc someone doesn’t like the idea of it. Each to their own. I respect your stance @Sixpacknpie, but no one is forcing you to participate. Live and let live. Good luck with your WK journey too!

6 Likes

What is that attitude? You’re my rival, show some energy!

tenor%20(1)

11 Likes

(aside:
@Redglare I don’t think I properly said hi to you yet: hi!
@SilkeCGV hello hello, and I love your profile picture
@Lympy I totally replied to you [in my head] but the forums seem to have erased it forever so I’ll do it here:

absofruitly
/aside)

5 Likes

Hi, Pensei! (/ω\)
Lookin forward to accompany you and the others on this journey .
よろしく~!

6 Likes

You’re replying to that now?! That was like 4 weeks ago and cyrus already gave us a slap on the wrist :see_no_evil:

Also, I’m thoroughly disappointed this didn’t turn into throwing penguin feces yet. If someone came in here with a bad mood shoving his opinions around I’d definitely have thrown feces.

5 Likes

Welcome to the team
@DeHaos @Abbertftw @oribaa @Nildryn @tokyojess @Nylorac_blue @Guambear2323 @Pep95 @BONESMALONE @Dgcat
06%20AM

4 Likes

Welcome to the team
@Vezqi @Elbereth00 @woody93 @Emiloow @david76 @Cryss @r0gamer94 @parasu @Emay
06%20AM

2 Likes

I dunno man my reply just disappeared :eyes:

I still believe (although I don’t know if I could ever give up tsundere durtle)

you can think of the flags I dropped all over those posts as ahem penguin droppings

3 Likes

I leveled up!
・:+.(( °ω° ))/.:+:・

Aw, thanks! I think you are really great. It’s only a three month extension from this thread, but I figured it would be useful for some people, anyway.

8 Likes

I did say I would do my best!! Don’t worry my friend, I’m in this until the bittersweet end! You’re stuck with me. Haha. I’ll see you at level 60… race you there!

3 Likes

Welcome to the journey! Let’s do this together!!

2 Likes

Yay! I think you’re great too!! Congrats on the level up. Woooooo hooooooo!!!

1 Like

At an hypothetical speed of 8days9h I’m expected to hit 60 (from lvl3) by Sept 5, and that’s without taking into account the fast levels (which would bring the average down to 6 days or so). I think it’s entirely possible to go to 60 at your level :blush:

3 Likes

I am back!

Slacked off because of private life, but will now tackle my 200 Reviews and 100 Lessons, I promise!

8 Likes

Good luck and welcome back. You’ll get through them :wink:

2 Likes

Made it to level 8 today! Question for the kanji experts… WK says that 身 is made up of 自 (self) and ノ (slide)… is this slightly bending the truth, or does that mess in the middle actually stem from 自?

3 Likes

The bottom part resembels and the top part resembels , so i guess it’s not directly made of self and slide. You’ll continue to find more of those bent truths though, I guess they didn’t want to make up anymore radicals than necessary :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

From what I’ve read, it’s also its own radical in the kangxi radicals list (radical 158) (official chinese radical system) so I’d say it’s more a case of WK saying that for mnemonics sake rather than an official decomposition of the radical.

Also: more confirmations might come from the fact that the seal script (ancient writing) for image doesn’t share the same writing as the seal script for image

3 Likes