Olympians (medalists announced - congrats everyone!)

That Klingon story, wow.

@Lids I’m in sky with you now. :upside_down_face: Isn’t it funny that when I was thinking of which team to join instead when “forest” got gutted into “plant”, I actually looked and sky and thought that was a good other option but didn’t want to commit too quickly this time!

3 Likes

I wasn’t going to do new WK lessons today, I’ve been too busy doing other things (one of them reading Japanese graded readers). But then I needed to add my class vocabulary to Torii and noticed that two of the words had kanji from my current level and they were already unlocked but I hadn’t done their lessons yet. So I did, and then I had to add a corresponding amount of vocabulary, right? So I ended up doing 2 kanji + 6 vocab lessons. (I do 3 vocab lessons for every kanji, yeah, won’t be leveling up as quick, but I’ll also learn the vocab more with the corresponding kanji.)

4 Likes

You can always put both in the synonyms if you get it wrong but it doesn’t really change anything meaning-wise.

@MissDagger maybe I should come into the sky team with you as well, my precious phoenix got gutted into fire :cry:

5 Likes

I’m still level one, but I’d love to join to keep me motivated!

2 Likes

Well, I think the phoenix is a great symbol for sky if we want it. It is a bird after all. :hugs: Plus the sun is in the sky and it is hot and burning. Great birds always makes me think of the sky.

2 Likes

You might be better served joining with Race to 60! December 2020 JLPT instead. Their deadline is about three months later.
At this point you’d have to be faster than 8days/level in average, which is pretty tough for most people unless you have some previous experience with WaniKani/Japanese (Because life happens)

Of course you’re still welcome to join, just wanting to make sure you’re not unknowingly trying to bite of more than you can chew :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

@pensei at what point are we going to filter out people that seemingly have dropped out? (and aren’t participating in the thread, those we’d be hunting down with sticks of course)
Seems already like there are some new WaniKani users that didn’t stick around (Not making progress in >2 weeks)
Any ideas how we want to handle those? Maybe I should be tagging the leaderboard police instead @avalia @FennelFox :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

I would propose cutting members as soon as they can’t hit the goal with a healthy average level-up speed anymore?
So that way people can be out of the game for a few weeks, as long as they can still make it by deadline we won’t judge. Through that we would also enforce the “don’t burn out with supersonic speed goals”-policy discussed a while ago.

I also think it would be nice to cut members when they had no activity for a given amount of time (a month perhaps?). But that is just impossible in practice. Too many members, no automated system.

So in short:

seems hard to enforce.
Instead maybe check the lower end of the userboard every 3 weeks or so for people that can’t realistically make it anymore.

2 Likes

3 levels in a year? I could tentatively agree to this, although I make no promises.

5 Likes

The deadline would have to be rather low though, because you could do levels 40-60 in less than 3 months without being too hardcore.

Also, I’m not sure if I’d want to filter out everyone because they didn’t quite make it. Kicking someone out because he finished with lvl 58 instead of 60 seems cruel :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

There is always the possibility of comparing the “Historical Leaderboards”, but that would be a lot of work.

I guess personally I’m only worried about a mixture of those two, inactive people that won’t make it anymore.

4 Likes

Of course there’s a silver lining :sweat_smile:
I also wouldn’t kick someone out as long as they’re somewhat involved in the forums.
So in the end we agree, right?

2 Likes

I don’t know, I don’t like the sound of that :unamused:

Also, I’m finally in pain °~°

2 Likes

Cold shoulder, huh? Interesting :upside_down_face:

I know!! I was about to congratulate you :sparkles: Take it easy now, will you?

1 Like

Thought I’d try that tension thing. Did it work?

You’re just trying to surpass me, arent you? :scream:

1 Like

10/10 would tense again

Nooo, what? No… Me? Pass you? Noo, that’d never be my intention, no.

also Wanikani just scolded me for replying to you too often :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Are we supposed to be updating our levels when they change? If so, then there may be some who aren’t regulars and don’t know to post their new level.
FalcoonnnnPUNCH is level 14 for example. I’m not stalking… .just following those who started at my level.

2 Likes

Luckily you only need member status to change your level!
But I agree, there might be some that just don’t update because they only have basic privileges.
I that applies to you reading this, just ask, we’ll all update your level and speed happily!

2 Likes

I didn’t want to come in and break all the rules of this thread. Reading through the previous comments, apparently I already should be thankful for not being kicked off the list for not levelling up in the last two weeks :wink:

Random fact: opening this thread I just remembered that I was in Tokyo on the day they announced those mascots for the olympics and was interviewed by NHK about what I thought about them. I wonder if that was ever broadcast somewhere - probably not since I could only come up with nervous, insignificant rambling.

Back on topic: I feel like my brain finally had a long enough WaniKani break and it feels OK to do lessons again. I’ll still try and go slow until the JLPT because there is so much else I should be focusing on but I hope I can pick up the pace again in July.

4 Likes

Congrats on the level up, to further add on the leaderboard, we could, instead of just dropping them out, put them into a “in hiatus” (seemingly) section under a detail tab

like this

Hello sweetie :wink:

I think that would allow them to move themselves out of the zone if they see fit and not just get dropped out, and it would leave the leaderboard unclutered.

@irrelephant I don’t really know if there are any rules pertaining to teams, we should just ask @pensei. When I got my team changed from 鳳凰 to 火 it was probably more a matter of new people understanding what my kanjis meant rather than something unruly.

Side note: why do I only have one review tomorrow?!! I need my fix :cry:

5 Likes

Hello team water 水. How is everyone doing this weekend?

3 Likes

Careful now, you wouldn’t want to burn yourself out by going at a crazy pace :upside_down_face:

5 Likes