Olympians (medalists announced - congrats everyone!)

I will be there this September. Tokyo seems to be prepared for non-native speakers…at least as far as mass transit goes. I’m told that it is somewhat difficult to get Japanese speaking opportunities there.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

I’ll be going sept 2019!

4 Likes

I have a question. My last two levels have taken nine days, and that’s with using an app to do my reviews as soon as they’re available and my accuracy is generally around 95%. How are people getting through levels in seven days?

I’m asking because the stats site says I’ll probably hit level 60 in December of 2020, and I want to go a lot faster XD

1 Like

I want to join! I’m currently on track to hit 60 between Feb. and May of 2020, and I’m trying to save up to make a trip to Tokyo in March of 2020!

3 Likes

Its because of the SRS timing that goes something like this:

1st Lesson (radicals + kanji)
1st Review in 4 hours
2nd review in 8 hours
3rd review in 23 hours
Last review in 47 hours

at this point you’ve finished the first half of the level in a little under 3.5 days, and the 2nd set of lessons is released the moment you finish the 4th review of the radicals

2nd Lesson (only kanji)
1st Review in 4 hours
2nd review in 8 hours
3rd review in 23 hours
Last review in 47 hours

So together the whole level takes 3.5 days ×2, minus 2 hours x2. So 6 days 20 hours.
I use those 4 extra hours as a buffer, so I generally finish a level in 7 days

If you make a single mistake on a radical review for the level you’re on, it’ll push your schedule forward a little. Making mistakes on the first round of kanji is fine cause you essentially have all week to finish them. And overall you need 90% of the kanji gurued to pass. Hope this was helpful!

Edit: source:

6 Likes

Oooh. This looks like just about the right timing for me. I want to join.

3 Likes

Thank you! it was.

2 Likes

Also, levels 41-60 (except 42, 45, 48) are fast levels, meaning you can do them in 3d 10h.

3 Likes

good idea for low levels! i’ll join :grin:

5 Likes

Just realized, you were the 100th person to join :man_shrugging: :woman_shrugging: :partying_face:

4 Likes

@Liras @teumcar @stars-and-onsen @neonriot @here34 @nicoffee
Welcome to the team!
06%20AM

7 Likes

Hii I’d like to join too! :3

3 Likes

Welcome! Get yourself in there ;b

Pandas > Penguins

5 Likes

That’s why I’ve decided to stay here for 4 days and then go somewhere else. Don’t know where to yet.

2 Likes

Have you travelled to Japan at all?
I find their English to be adequate at train stations in the major cities, but it is definitely still a predominately Japanese speaking country. Many places speak minimal English, enough to point you to the toilet or pass you an English menu. Lol. You’ll get tons of opportunity to speak Japanese if you want to. Especially if you venture out of Tokyo. I love Japan, but Tokyo is just a big city, there are so many other beautiful sites to see if you care to take an adventure. Give me southern Japan any day! Love!!!

4 Likes

Once visited a restaurant in Koya-san. They handed us the English menu… except the waiter couldn’t read it, so I had to work out which item on the Japanese menu corresponded to the one we wanted. This was before I started learning, mind - I had a very rudimentary grasp of kana, and little else.

4 Likes

Ooooh, this sounds like a fun goal. I have no idea if I can make it considering my leveling have been all over the place (7-8 days levels until level 4-5, and then progressively longer. I’ve now been on level 10 for… *checks wkstats* 65 days… Oops?

(I also kinda moved to Japan and started Japanese Language school so got very busy with loads of Japanese study in my days.)

I’ve been looking for something to motivate me to actually progress on WK instead of only doing reviews. This might just be it. ^^

Off to add myself to the chart!

3 Likes

That sounds horrible. You may take my place so you can cruise through WaniKani. When do we make the switch happen? I might need to get a wig. :thinking:

2 Likes

This sounds fun, ill join in :grin:

2 Likes