Olympians (<100 days left!)

Not sure whose post you’re replying to, so I’ll just assume you’re addressing the thread in general:

The fastest you can go in this “race” (its not a race since theres a specific deadline, and no real rankings once everyone reaches 60) is only how fast the WK SRS allows/recommends. If you want to go slower feel free to do so.

4 Likes

If my statement was not addressed to anyone its quite obvious Im addressing the thread/topic and no assumption is necessary

I think if you’re focused on leveling to level 60 within a set time frame and having a ranking system to see who is first then you’re treating it as a race/game and you will not learn and keep the information in your long term memory. I think it is a bad idea for anyone to set a deadline when learning a language it does not bode well for memory retention…

Well this just boosted my motivation.

HELL YEAH EVERYONE LETS SPRINT TO THE FINISH LINE

11 Likes

I don’t think it was “quite obvious”, and @pensei was being kind. The point of this thread is to encourage people with some light competitiveness, not to complete things as fast as possible to get to a finish line.

8 Likes

As I said, theres no ranking.

This thread is indeed meant to serve as a friendly race/game and im assuming thats why most people signed up. Which takes us to your last point

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but as I said this is not the place to debate the value of racing or retention. There are many other threads that would suit your interests better, and I suggest you move to one of them ^.^

9 Likes

I don’t mind that you’re against it, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I don’t like that you were attacking pensei.

5 Likes

As pensei said in the very first post:

I, for certain, got very motivated, so it works for me. I’m going to be in Japan by that time, so it happens to be a perfect goal. Also, I got Wanikani figured out now; the best way for me to learn what I need to learn, and how to use WK’s mnemonics and come up with my own as well.

And personally, I think there’s nothing wrong with a bit of competition.

9 Likes

This is us setting a goal and tracking our progress. Even if we don’t reach our goal it helps us keep focussed and disciplined, this is what is required to learn a language. These threads are a good thing for those who use it as motivation, teamwork and friendly banter. Whatever the situation, I will reflect on my journey come the Tokyo Olympics fondly.

6 Likes

I agree with @pensei. This thread is a friendly motivational group of likeminded people who are helping each other along their language learning journey.
Being level 10 now, I doubt I’ll get to level 60 by the Olympics in 2020, but I’ll do my best to learn what I can and this channel is a fun place to chat with people who have the same ethos. That said, even if you “race” you can only go as fast as the SRS system allows you to, which in itself is built in to maximise learning and retention. I find it if I do my reviews at the SRS timing, I remember more and as a result, level up faster.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this thread does not need to be shut down bc someone doesn’t like the idea of it. Each to their own. I respect your stance @Sixpacknpie, but no one is forcing you to participate. Live and let live. Good luck with your WK journey too!

6 Likes

What is that attitude? You’re my rival, show some energy!

tenor%20(1)

11 Likes

(aside:
@Redglare I don’t think I properly said hi to you yet: hi!
@SilkeCGV hello hello, and I love your profile picture
@Lympy I totally replied to you [in my head] but the forums seem to have erased it forever so I’ll do it here:

absofruitly
/aside)

5 Likes

Hi, Pensei! (/ω\)
Lookin forward to accompany you and the others on this journey .
よろしく~!

6 Likes

You’re replying to that now?! That was like 4 weeks ago and cyrus already gave us a slap on the wrist :see_no_evil:

Also, I’m thoroughly disappointed this didn’t turn into throwing penguin feces yet. If someone came in here with a bad mood shoving his opinions around I’d definitely have thrown feces.

5 Likes

Welcome to the team
@DeHaos @Abbertftw @oribaa @Nildryn @tokyojess @Nylorac_blue @Guambear2323 @Pep95 @BONESMALONE @Dgcat
06%20AM

4 Likes

Welcome to the team
@Vezqi @Elbereth00 @woody93 @Emiloow @david76 @Cryss @r0gamer94 @parasu @Emay
06%20AM

2 Likes

I dunno man my reply just disappeared :eyes:

I still believe (although I don’t know if I could ever give up tsundere durtle)

you can think of the flags I dropped all over those posts as ahem penguin droppings

3 Likes

I leveled up!
・:+.(( °ω° ))/.:+:・

Aw, thanks! I think you are really great. It’s only a three month extension from this thread, but I figured it would be useful for some people, anyway.

8 Likes

I did say I would do my best!! Don’t worry my friend, I’m in this until the bittersweet end! You’re stuck with me. Haha. I’ll see you at level 60… race you there!

3 Likes

Welcome to the journey! Let’s do this together!!

2 Likes

Yay! I think you’re great too!! Congrats on the level up. Woooooo hooooooo!!!

1 Like