Older Learners

I love how your process approaching zen poetry itself embodies zen :grinning:

7 Likes

Haha that’s brilliant. Where’s it from?

2 Likes

From a list of senryu I found after a search.

http://kajipon.sakura.ne.jp/kt/senryuu.htm

6 Likes

I love your attitude! I agree with it wholeheartedly! Enjoy the moments of learning, but don’t let it stress you out.

4 Likes

Wonderfull. Thank you to all of you!
:balloon:

1 Like

Wait what? Was this supposed to be 100

3 Likes

NO, sorry: 1000

3 Likes

This one hits close to home. I actually threw my back out by sneezing… neck from sleeping wrong or sitting wrong.

5 Likes

So harsh and yet so true :joy: :sweat_smile: :sob: :joy: Love it!

2 Likes

Love the attitude!

Just out of curiosity, since you reset from 27 and are back at 8 now, how much of what you learned the first time around came back to you naturally as you went through those early levels again? Most of it? Half?

1 Like

Most of it in level 1 - 7. Now in level 8 I meet resitance. it is “fun” to see kanjis I cannot remember and recognize the trouble they gave me earlier. I now see, that I wasn´t careful enough earlier. This time I am very careful with the “story” to each kanji. Each time I cannot remember the kanji I read the story again and again…

3 Likes

keep in mind some of the provided stories just aren’t that great. I found if I repeatedly got the same one wrong I would change the story to one I created myself and that often fixed the problem completely.

4 Likes

Yes! Thank you! I have also tried the same!

1 Like

MarnieDEB! Thanks for starting this thread! I’m fifty and have been using WK a couple of months. When I was in my twenties I worked at a tiny family-owned Japanese noodle shop in St Paul MN: Koshiki owned the shop, and the other staff were her little brother Ira, another Japanese woman, Mayu, who became my friend, and me. I’d never before had any exposure to or interest in Japanese culture or language, but this job gave me a mini-immersion experience and I couldn’t help but want to learn. So I learned kana and just the very, very basics of conversation, etc…about ten years later I tried taking a class, but it required a huge two-bus commute and just wasn’t worth it. I always assumed learning kanji would be impossible for me but wow, has WaniKani ever changed that! I really can’t say what it is about Japanese that hooks me—I’ve tried learning Spanish, German and French and I just get kind of bored. I never feel that way about Japanese. I’m not super ambitious about my pace of learning, but it’s easy to want to practice every day. It’s nice to know there are other older learners here and reading a little of the thread it seems like Wanikani kind of self-selects a pretty cool group of people (bookbinders! Literature teachers/lovers! Etc). I probably won’t spend loads of time in the chat but … still very happy to be amongst you all :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Every young learner of Japanese will be an older (and finally old) learner of Japanese because you cannot learn everything in a lifetime… It 's just a matter of time :innocent:

5 Likes

true, even in your native language. I just learned the word trivet yesterday when I realized I had not a trivet in sight to place hot pots from the oven on…

9 Likes

I never thought about that really. Now I just realized there are so many times I would talk about things in German like ‘the thing that sticks to those little nobs on the, you know, thing for…’ :sweat_smile:
Have to remember that…

In Japanese these things are a やつ :rofl:

3 Likes

Wow, I’m from St Paul too! What was the name of the shop, is it still there?

1 Like

I honestly wouldn’t have known this either without having watched colonial era cooking shows on YouTube. :joy:

3 Likes

Definitely a staple for colonial cooking. But I also think dutch ovens are under-utilized in the modern kitchen. They’re fantastic pieces of cookware. And the trivet can be an important part of that.

5 Likes