[Old version][Userscript] Burn Reviews (v1.0.0.3)

Most awesome script ever :smiley: just what i needed ^^

I’m using your script on Firefox via Greasemonkey. A few issues:

I enter a meaning, press ‘enter’ and it goes to the the reading prompt. I enter the reading and press ‘enter’ again but it doesn’t advance. I have to actually click the arrow to move on.

It brought up 階 and asked for the kun’yomi reading, which WK doesn’t even include and it wouldn’t accept かい as a reading. The ‘resurect’ prompt shows: on’yomi “かい” kun’yomi “”.

It’s ugly as sin, but you already mentioned that. Will be pretty cool once it works properly.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned or not somewhere in the thread but I’ve found what I suspect is a bug also. While doing some quick burn reviews, I was prompted to input the reading for 犬
. Being at level 18, I have not yet learned any reading for 犬  other than the kun’yomi, which is of course, いぬ. However, when I input いぬ, it was marked wrong because it apparently expected the on’yomi (けん [ケン]) even though I haven’t learned the on’yomi for that word yet.

Any chance this can be fixed? I very much enjoy this so far but if I’m going to be marked wrong for readings I haven’t yet burned, I don’t know if it’s worth continuing to use. Thanks for the great script by the way! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the script.

I found a bug, maybe some of you guys can reproduce it. A chrome user on windows.
The tooltips on the levels are widened strongly. I thought it happens once you use the “Resize” feature but refreshing the dashboard and without using the resize feature, the tooltips are still extreme wide.

emin said... Thanks for the script.

I found a bug, maybe some of you guys can reproduce it. A chrome user on windows.
The tooltips on the levels are widened strongly. I thought it happens once you use the "Resize" feature but refreshing the dashboard and without using the resize feature, the tooltips are still extreme wide.
 Yeah this is because of a class name conflict. The class names in the script would need to be changed to fix this.

Edit: Since this was a smaller issue, I decided to fix this in v1.0.0.3.

Hisao said... I'm using your script on Firefox via Greasemonkey. A few issues:

I enter a meaning, press 'enter' and it goes to the the reading prompt. I enter the reading and press 'enter' again but it doesn't advance. I have to actually click the arrow to move on.

It brought up 階 and asked for the kun'yomi reading, which WK doesn't even include and it wouldn't accept かい as a reading. The 'resurect' prompt shows: on'yomi "かい" kun'yomi "".

It's ugly as sin, but you already mentioned that. Will be pretty cool once it works properly.
 I developed the script on Chrome and it was never designed with Firefox in mind so that's why it looks ugly. Unfortunately I'm not managing this script anymore and I doubt I'll be doing more work on them anytime soon.

ducksFANjason said... Not sure if this has already been mentioned or not somewhere in the thread but I've found what I suspect is a bug also. While doing some quick burn reviews, I was prompted to input the reading for 犬 . Being at level 18, I have not yet learned any reading for 犬  other than the kun'yomi, which is of course, いぬ. However, when I input いぬ, it was marked wrong because it apparently expected the on'yomi (けん [ケン]) even though I haven't learned the on'yomi for that word yet.

Any chance this can be fixed? I very much enjoy this so far but if I'm going to be marked wrong for readings I haven't yet burned, I don't know if it's worth continuing to use. Thanks for the great script by the way! :-)

If I remember correctly, I set it to look for the reading specified in the API. If the wrong one is specified there, there's not much I can do to fix that. If most of them are fine and only some aren't then this is probably the case. There is no downside to getting a burn review wrong so I would just make sure you know the correct answer and then skip it.

To everyone who asked a question and it didn't get answered or wasn't answered the way they wanted: I made this as well as couple of other WK scripts in a long burst of motivation that has since run out. I am now working and focusing more on other things so that's the reason I haven't been making updates or actively fixing problems. If anyone feels it's worth it to fix any of these problems themselves, I may add comments to my code on request (because right now it's just a big comment-free mess that works).

I can see the enter api key message but I can’t see the section in my dashboard :S

You’ve to go in the script options, edit it and you’ll see in the first lines a place where it’s written “enter you API key here”.

I always find some issue causing this to not work properly.
I did a couple and then 春 popped up (kanji) but that doesn’t matter because it’s spring and はる for both vocab and kanji. It won’t accept はる for the kanji reading though. I’ve refreshed the page and other words are working correctly so maybe it was just this one… 

I just looked on 春’s page and next to はる as a reading, there is  しゅん… but I thought はる was the most common one… I should have tested to see if しゅん worked. Oh well. 

Though I know that this is not being updated much and I know that it doesn’t entirely effect functionality, is there any reason why the answer bar is so much shorter than the rest of the box on my screen?

Also when I resize my browser, it changes Burn Review window, but the two buttons on the left never change position and the answer button falls to a new line. 

Does anyone know how to fix this? I am slowly learning this stuff, but not enough to know how to fix this on my own. Thanks!

I’ve got a bit of an issue. I’ve entered my API key into the userscript before clicking “Install” (and then clicking “reinstall” quite a few times), and yet whenever I visit my WK homepage it still gives me the popup message “Please enter your API key near the top of the WanaKani Burn Reviews userscript.” I’ve tried regenerating my API key, and every time I copy and paste it into the userscript and click reinstall, it still gives me this popup. Am I missing something?

Thanks~!

baconstrip37 said... I've got a bit of an issue. I've entered my API key into the userscript before clicking "Install" (and then clicking "reinstall" quite a few times), and yet whenever I visit my WK homepage it still gives me the popup message "Please enter your API key near the top of the WanaKani Burn Reviews userscript." I've tried regenerating my API key, and every time I copy and paste it into the userscript and click reinstall, it still gives me this popup. Am I missing something?

Thanks~!
 What do you mean by "reinstall"? Do you remove it and then hit "install" again? If you remove the script it will erase your API key!

After you've entered your API key, just hit CTRL-S (or whatever key combination saves a file) and close the window.

No, I don’t remove it or anything. It’s just that when you revisit the page with the userscript after you’ve attempted to install it once, it replaces the “install” button with the “reinstall” button since you’ve already done it.

I tried what you said and I’m still getting that message. I feel like I’m missing something really simple, as this is only the 3rd script I’ve tried (and the first that requires you to enter your API key).

When you enter your API key, are you making sure to enter the key between the quotes?

Example: apiKey = “000000000000000000000”

Also, you have to make sure that you save the entry as Mempo suggested. 

it didnt work in my chrome, last version, i cant click resurrect button and i cant see the green advice, resize didnt solve this problem.

baconstrip37 said... No, I don't remove it or anything. It's just that when you revisit the page with the userscript after you've attempted to install it once, it replaces the "install" button with the "reinstall" button since you've already done it.

I tried what you said and I'm still getting that message. I feel like I'm missing something really simple, as this is only the 3rd script I've tried (and the first that requires you to enter your API key).
 Well don't click the reinstall button then.

Can someone go into more detail about saving the entry? As in, what exactly do I do after CTRL-S to save the page as a file? It just goes to downloads, and re-opening the file doesn’t seem to do anything important.

Sorry for being so bad at this, but I really can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong.

What browser and extension are you using in order to run the scripts? (Greasemonkey, Tampermonkey, etc.)

baconstrip37 said... Can someone go into more detail about saving the entry? As in, what exactly do I do after CTRL-S to save the page as a file? It just goes to downloads, and re-opening the file doesn't seem to do anything important.

Sorry for being so bad at this, but I really can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
 Nobody said anything about saving the file to your computer though.

Assuming you installed the script:

For Firefox:
 - click on the greasemonkey icon
 - go to 'manage user scripts'
 - locate the script
 - click on 'preferences'/'options' on the right (make sure it is enabled)
 - click on 'edit this user script' at the bottom
 - On line 15 you will find apiKey = "API KEY HERE";
 - Paste your API key in between the quotation marks
 - In the menu (the top row of buttons), click 'Save'.
 - Close the window
 - BOOM, DONE

For Chrome:
 - click on weird looking square with two holes (aka the tampermonkey icon
 - click on 'dashboard' in the left column
 - double click on the title of the script
 - Locate the 'diskette' icon and click it. It's on a row full of tiny icons, below 3 tabs which read 'Editor','Settings' and 'Externals'. This is all on the top-left side of the page.
 - Close the entire tab. If you don't know how to do that, just type "wanikani.com" in the address bar.
 - BOOM, DONE

i cant make this script works in chrome, please someone can edit the source code.

I tried the firefox version and didnt work too.

Mempo said...For Chrome:
 - click on weird looking square with two holes (aka the tampermonkey icon
 - click on 'dashboard' in the left column
 - double click on the title of the script
Ah. That's it. Chrome never showed the Tampermonkey button in the first place due to my settings. I was pasting my API Key into the script reached by following OP's link. Never realized I had to do it through the Tampermonkey dashboard. Thanks.

Mempo said... - Close the entire tab. If you don't know how to do that, just type "wanikani.com" in the address bar.
 Yes, thanks, I know how to close a tab.