Okay, here I go - WaniKani take two

Yeah, 500+ is rough. I have numerous leeches that I simply am not remembering. Truthfully, I admit to lightly cheating to get the numbers down; using Tsurukame (phone app version) allows that, and I only am doing it on items that I know I won’t burn (i.e. the leeches, or typos), but that I want to get out of the review cycle for a week or two so I can get the review number down.

Down to 400 now and things are sticking in my brain better. The progress feels good; here’s hoping you feel that and can burn through enough to feel happier!

1 Like

Welcome back! I just came back too and also decided to reset. It was definitely the better decision for me. Trying to go through all the reviews demotivated me pretty quickly especially since I hadn’t done anything in 5 years. I decided to just restart to level 2 and save myself further heartache and frustration.

How is Pimsleur? I’ve heard about it mostly for French but haven’t tried it yet.

Good luck on your learning journey xD

4 Likes

Hello :smiley:
I think we are in similar situations as I recently reset myself back to level 1 after neglecting WK for almost a year. I can’t remember the exact level I reset from but I’m sure it was beyond level 10. I started to get overwhelmed with the reviews trying to learn as fast as possible. This time around I’m going to slow it down a bit and learn at a pace where I feel I’m truly retaining the information.

Good luck on your journey. We can do this!

1 Like

I was at level 7, ended up with 400+ reviews, reset to 2, am carefully managing my lesson pace, and am very happy.

1 Like

5 years, wow that’s a very long time. Also, according to me you don’t have a level!
Capture

1 Like

When I first started using Wanikani, I didn’t have a lot of time and the site didn’t really win me over. So I finished the first couple of levels and then gave up. A few years later I too decided to have a second attempt. I was still early levels and had done some kanji stuff in the interim so I didn’t have to reset. Now I’m max level and both proud of my achievement and looking forward to all my future efforts.

Basically what I’m saying is, don’t let your past failures define your present efforts. Learn from them, grow and know that you can do this!

3 Likes

That’s odd. I wonder why it wont show up lol I just assumed we didnt see our own level but others would. Is there a setting for it?

1 Like

I have no idea, but as far as I’m concerned you’re sean blue special.

1 Like

:sweat_smile: i guess lol no one knowing what level im in is nice lol no social pressure to move as fast/slow as others i suppose

4 Likes

It seems a lot of people here experienced the same kind of thing, make a good start on WK then life gets in the way.

Surprise surprise, I am no different! In a way seeing some of you with similar stories has encouraged me to post for the first time since re-starting, since we all returned none the less.

I started a few years ago up to level 3, and I thought to myself, “yep, this is definitely for me”. Then…life. However, I never forgot about this place and I knew I would be back.

To echo some of the advice on here already, go at your own pace.
1st time round, I was smashing it out the moment lessons or reviews were available. Seeing others do it in a year is inspiring but would not be sustainable for me amd this wasnt even too far advanced, so it would have only got worse for me. To be honest, if my pace was reduced, I would have completed level 60 by now in the time I took off.

Now I reset at New year and the pace I set myself I have been able to sustain, so far with no issues.
At first I just said to myself 5 lessons a day plus any reviews 2-3times a day, if I felt like more was possible, I told myself I would consider doing more.
I knew it would be slow…and it was, so I soon changed the pace. Once I finish the vocab from the previous level, my pace looks roughly like this:
All radicals in one shot, easy to remember not many issues
When on to Kanji, for some reason 5 or sometimes 10 lessons a day is enough
Then vocab anywhere from 5 to 20, since alot of the readings will be similar.
I ended up setting a goal of 1 level per month minimum, which to me sounded slow (and it is, glacially slow in fact) meaning I would be done in 4-5 years. I actually have a day or so off, 2-4 a month when I am really busy, but because the pace is now my own, I dont find it a chore and actually look forward to a stack of reviews, which, because I am going the way of the tortoise, is never that high after a day off.

I resisted the urge to go faster and let my ego compete with those who can commit more time, as I realised this is a personal journey and not a competition and like I said, if I had done it this way before, perhaps I would have been done.

So this isnt a recomendation to do exactly what I do, I just wanted to encourage you to find your own pace. Speed, I realised, was a false incentive and would lead to my downfall,

I also set myself goals for each quater of this year, and I have already met my end of March target. So even though I am going slow, it does feel like I am achieving things ahead of schedule without trying.

Anyway, let us know how you get on and best of luck!

3 Likes

Let’s do this :slight_smile:
(I’ve just gone back to level 1 for the second time)

2 Likes

Thanks Safia and agreed - it’s pretty discouraging to go through reviews and not remember ten or more in a row, that happened to me and made the whole journey feel hopeless. Now, starting over, it’s really encouraging to see everything that I remember!

Pimsleur has been great, that being said, I’ve found I need to go through each lesson twice to really remember it so what they say to do in a day, I do in two days.

1 Like

Welcome back, we’re in this together!

I know what you mean. It feels so much better to be relearning and happily surprising myself by remembering a word than struggling to remember everything during a review.

That’s good to hear. I wanted to use Pimsleur when I get more comfortable with my new learning schedule. So I’ll definitely check it out :smile:

1 Like

Hey, it’s not our fault! Non-Tsurukame users will be more familiar with the Override Script or Double-Check Script, the latter of which is linked below:

1 Like

Good luck!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.