Okay, here I go - WaniKani take two

This, plus not overwhelming yourself with too many lessons (leading to too many reviews), is pretty much the whole thing! It definitely gets to be challenging, but continuing to review on days when you don’t feel like it or don’t have as much time is probably the biggest contributor to momentum there is.

(I think doing some grammar early so that you can start reading practice is good. If Pimsleur gives you that, great! Otherwise, doing a little less on WK in order to add in some Genki/BunPro/Tae Kim/other grammar resource will probably be worth the extra time it takes to “finish.”)

1 Like

Thanks, that’s good advice. I think in my first run on WaniKani I would do lessons the moment they became available, even if I was get 40% or 50% on reviews. I’m going to wait until I’m 90% or higher on my reviews before doing more lessons going forward.

2 Likes

I find Pimsleur to be super helpful. I don’t have a lot of access to speaking practice, so it’s a great way to recall and repeat words. It’s hard to use a word conversationally until you’ve said it conversationally 10+ times, and Pimsleur provides a way to do that without being rote. The lessons also pack a lot of practice into a small amount of time.

2 Likes

I’m addicted to wanikani.
everyday i get anxious to do my reviews

always keeping my apprentice pile between 85 - 110.

i’m also doing kamesame and reading N5 tango book along with its anki deck (30 new cards a day).

1 Like

I knew I was in too deep when I took a few weeks off and logged back in to find over 200 reviews…as I went through I realized I didn’t remember any of them, it was painful and a bit demotivating.

200? Lucky you–I came back after two years off. I’ve whittled down the 3000+ reviews I had to 600 now (two months later). Sooooo much fun! (I’m being half sarcastic, half serious!)

At any rate, welcome back!

5 Likes

I don’t know if you know about it, but just in case I’ll recommend it. Read the beginner’s guide. My Journey of 368 days (+ The Ultimate Guide for WK 📖 )

4 Likes

For the past couple of months I keep going back and forth on getting on track and letting things go. It’s been hovering around 500-700. It always feels daunting and that keeps me away. I have to remember that other people come back from much higher review numbers. That you for the indirect encouragement.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I was doing until level 25, then I got stuck, and life … you know how that goes. Up until 25 I cleared my review queue multiple times daily. Then I just drowned.

I wouldn’t worry about the percentage too much. Making sure your apprentice count hovers around 100 is enough.

This may be a good guiding principle for you, but it also may frustrate you and hold you back (especially if there are particular items that are tricky but easier items are just around the corner… or if you just make minor mistakes)… Personally, what I’ve found is that if I’m feeling overwhelmed and feel like I’m juggling too many items, I hold off of doing Lessons… but if I’m hungry to learn new items, I’ll do those Lessons… but you should do what works best for you (as many others have shared).

Also, you can change the settings… I’ve changed it so my new Lessons come in batches of three at a time, which is easier for me to handle.

3 Likes

That might be a high goal to set for yourself. In Is really 90+% the norm? about 2/3 said that they often have 75% correct on reviews, and if you look at their level, many of them are succeeding in getting a study habit on wanikani. I am in the 75-85 spectrum most days, but i can really feel that my japanese skills have gone up every time i pick up an new article or a manga.

4 Likes

Yeah, 500+ is rough. I have numerous leeches that I simply am not remembering. Truthfully, I admit to lightly cheating to get the numbers down; using Tsurukame (phone app version) allows that, and I only am doing it on items that I know I won’t burn (i.e. the leeches, or typos), but that I want to get out of the review cycle for a week or two so I can get the review number down.

Down to 400 now and things are sticking in my brain better. The progress feels good; here’s hoping you feel that and can burn through enough to feel happier!

1 Like

Welcome back! I just came back too and also decided to reset. It was definitely the better decision for me. Trying to go through all the reviews demotivated me pretty quickly especially since I hadn’t done anything in 5 years. I decided to just restart to level 2 and save myself further heartache and frustration.

How is Pimsleur? I’ve heard about it mostly for French but haven’t tried it yet.

Good luck on your learning journey xD

4 Likes

Hello :smiley:
I think we are in similar situations as I recently reset myself back to level 1 after neglecting WK for almost a year. I can’t remember the exact level I reset from but I’m sure it was beyond level 10. I started to get overwhelmed with the reviews trying to learn as fast as possible. This time around I’m going to slow it down a bit and learn at a pace where I feel I’m truly retaining the information.

Good luck on your journey. We can do this!

1 Like

I was at level 7, ended up with 400+ reviews, reset to 2, am carefully managing my lesson pace, and am very happy.

1 Like

5 years, wow that’s a very long time. Also, according to me you don’t have a level!
Capture

1 Like

When I first started using Wanikani, I didn’t have a lot of time and the site didn’t really win me over. So I finished the first couple of levels and then gave up. A few years later I too decided to have a second attempt. I was still early levels and had done some kanji stuff in the interim so I didn’t have to reset. Now I’m max level and both proud of my achievement and looking forward to all my future efforts.

Basically what I’m saying is, don’t let your past failures define your present efforts. Learn from them, grow and know that you can do this!

3 Likes

That’s odd. I wonder why it wont show up lol I just assumed we didnt see our own level but others would. Is there a setting for it?

1 Like

I have no idea, but as far as I’m concerned you’re sean blue special.

1 Like

:sweat_smile: i guess lol no one knowing what level im in is nice lol no social pressure to move as fast/slow as others i suppose

4 Likes