OK you need to fix this!

You’re the target of everyone trying to point you in the right direction, mate. Did you read the FAQ?

11 Likes

Alright, calm down first.

Purple → kunyomi
Pink → onyomi

You learn the onyomi before being taught the kunyomi (in most cases).

If you fail to answer correctly, look at the correct answer and move on.

1 Like

You’re going to come here playing spoiled brat, attack the site and everyone on it, then play the victim card? Sorry if I don’t (and probably nobody) care. Act like an adult, and perhaps people will treat you with respect.

6 Likes

Well, let’s be a little bit humble and admit that both sides are being offensive. No need for that.

You get different readings because some Kanji alone make a word, sometimes with a different reading. That’s why WK has the same item as a vocab and as a Kanji. Someone already gave a good example with 山. It’s very important to understand that. Calling a mountain さん is wrong. However, using that same reading to say for example, ふじ山 (Fujisan - Mount Fuji) is 100% correct. Make sure to read the FAQ and to pay more attention. WaniKani is a very good tool and completely worth the cost.

Good luck with your Japanese studies :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Hi everyone… This sage is for EVERYONE in the thread. Love y’all but… ya know.

Let’s start with the types of things you will see on this site:

Pink, Kanji alone
Purple, Kanji alone
Purple, Kanji with Kanji
Purple, Kanji with Hiragana

Pink, is Kanji and it will teach you the most useful reading… usually on’yomi.
Purple, Kanji alone, will usually be kun’yomi.
Purple, Kanji with Kanji, will usually be on-yomi for all kanji shown.
Purple, Kanji with Hiragana, will usually be kun-yomi for all Kanji shown.

I gonna paste my answer form another post.

I find that the hardest ones to remember are vocab(purple) where the kanji stands alone because it looks the same as the kanji. When a kanji in a vocab is connected to other kanji or hiragana you have context to alert you to the right reading.
One thing that might help you is placing the vocab in a sentence. Like the yama example matilda gave. 山に上ります. I will climb the mountain. That way you can remember that if you see it alone in a sentence that is the reading you need. Then memorize the sentence like a mnemonic and wherever you see purple you know to think of that sentence. Wanikani gives you sample sentences when you learn the vocab but you can also find them by visiting the vocab page.

Hope that helps.

I also recommend slowing down. Yes you know them all from your previous studies, but slowing down and learning the way that wanikani works and learning exactly what it wants from you will help immensely if you decide to stay for a while.

And no WaniKani is not trying to F you, it’s trying to facilitate learning something complicated in the simplest way possible and some adjusting to it is needed that’s all. :smile:

5 Likes

To add to the post of @oryantge:

The difference between the Kanji 山 and the Word (Vocabulary) 山

The word 山 is what you will hear and read in natural Japanese sentences. For example 「山を登った」 or 「一番高い山はなんですか」. The word 山 is always pronounced やま, and that’s why you’re wrong when you’re answering さん for the reading of the word 山. @Zeriel: You can tell that WaniKani is asking for the word 山 because of the purple background and because it says “Vocabulary” on screen.

The Kanji 山 is a character that makes up words like やま. Kanji characters may have more than one reading. WaniKani usually wants to know the On’yomi reading, but if you accidentally put in the Kun’yomi, WaniKani will shake and tell you which reading it wants to know (and you won’t lose your progress). That’s because さん and やま are both valid readings for the Kanji 山, but we need to make sure that you remember the reading さん.@Zeriel: You can tell that WaniKani is asking for the Kanji 山 because of the pink background and because it says “Kanji” on screen.

5 Likes

That awkward moment when there’s a stick so far up your arse that even HotKinkyJo is shocked that someone can take something that deep.

I mean… you neglected to pay attention to anything… what did you expect? A warm welcome? And do you think that if there was an issue as big as your post insinuated there was that the THOUSANDS of people who have used this site wouldn’t have noticed by now?

this is why we should euthanise idiots.

1 Like

Wanikani should come with nipple tasers every time I get a vocabulary wrong because I have 100% Kanji right and my vocabulary is like 30% because apparently I don’t know the difference between meaning and reading D:

45)

You’re 100% free to be an asshole just don’t get pissed when I’m an asshole back to you

Asking for help is 100% supported and encouraged, but fighting, swearing, refusing to accept help AND others refusing to help and instead attacking the OP is all not okay.

We have an article coming out very soon that’s going to explain everything there is to know about on’yomi and kun’yomi. Until then, please feel free to read through the helpful comments here as well as utilizing the search function on the forums to find your answer.

19 Likes