~ Oishinbo ~ 🥘 🍙 🍱

Episode 4: 活きた魚

I feel like if you really want to compare the taste of sashimi, you have to eat it without soy sauce. Of course, sashimi is usually served with soy sauce or even wasabi. But if the aim is to compare the fish caught last week and today, soy sauce is going to overwhelm the subtle taste. But that’s just me…

1 Like

One thing I have also noticed is that the episode numbers on YouTube is not the same as the numbering used elsewhere. For example, episode 72 on YouTube is actually episode 85 (下町の温もり)

1 Like

Now that is confusing! :eyes: But, I think we’ll just have to go with the original ordering of the episodes if so - which I hope is the ones used by Wikipedia if we run into a dispute! (I guess the Japanese supersedes the English Wiki in this case if in doubt? :thinking: )

At worst, we’ll have to figure it out as we go - because I’m not yet willing to write out all the episode names for the show on the watch schedule as an extra precaution. That’s just a lot of work… ^^; (and I’m not sure I even can do it…without mistakes that is. :sweat: )

edit
Well, copy paste from the Japanese wikipedia might be an option, but I haven’t checked how extensive that article is.

1 Like

Using chan, san, and kun is all about vibes it seems.

Chan really softens the situation and brings people together. Anyone can be an adorable chan. Maybe it would be inappropriate for a boss to call someone chan. Maybe it is too friendly.

It also depends on someone’s name too.
For example, husband’s name is Mitsugu but he gets shortened to Mi-chan. Just sounds better than Mi-kun for some reason. While a little boy at work was named Keichi but got shortened to Kei-kun because kei-chan sounds strange.

2 Likes

it appears this subject is unexpectedly deep and it might be hard for us to navigate it - besides…: do you ask for permission before using a chan? or does that just sort of just happen and the other person accepts it?? where does the chan come from in the social situation?? :eyes:

or a different type of use of lack of proper honorifics? When and how???

1 Like

maybe, @plantron @Nemuitanuki you summon @Leebo for the question about san, kun etc. as I’m not sure he’s gonna listen to just me…it get the feeling i’m ignored, but I have absolutely no idea why as we hardly have interacted on these forums as it is! and not recently!

I’m going to say you just feel it based on relationship and closeness.

I haven’t worked at an office though
All my coworkers call me chan

1 Like

I think I did find an article about closeness, though I didn’t read it. Perhaps I should have. In any way, I’ll take living experience over book suggestions every time! :rofl:

1 Like

Ohhh probably sleeping. It’s only 5am here

1 Like

How about just proving your tanuki powers of sleep? :eyes:

1 Like

My understanding is that this is like… stereotypical male boss speech. Unless you are a stereotypical boss-esque person, it will sound strange to call women [name]-kun.

2 Likes

Okay. So it really is specific for the situations in Oishinbo (boss talking to a new female employee).

I get the feeling I’ve heard it elsewhere, but that could very well also be some kind of workplace context, probably. So, my mind thought it was more common.

Thanks for replying about it! ^>^

1 Like

So I’ve been watching with English subtitles, but beginning from episode 9 I plan to watch without subtitles to see how much I understand first. Then I can watch again with English subtitles to see if I missed anything. Unfortunately, I don’t live in Japan (so don’t have access to Amazon Japan Prime) and cannot seem to find any Japanese subtitles .srt files out there.

My Japanese listening comprehension is not so good, but episode 9’s story is kinda straightforward anyway. I’m not going to discuss it now, and will wait until it’s due in several weeks. But I imagine this is not always going to be as simple. Especially when Yamaoka explains some technical things about Japanese animal or plant names, I might not get it at first try :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I think this is a good show to watch without subs…not because it’s easy with all the special words about food, but because it’s normal conversation and not action. So, it’s good language use (workplace speech), and it’s not rushed. And even though you might not get it all at first, it’s possible to just keep on watching…until you figure things out. That’s how I did it the first time I watched the show. So go for it! :+1:

1 Like

There are some characters who speak oddly, though. Such as the sushi chef in episode 9 or the homeless guy (Tatsu) or the ケチ boss :rofl: But usually you can still get the gist of what they are saying.

1 Like

I’ve updated the viewing schedule to show the correct months :rofl: and copy-pasted the episode names into the schedule from Wikipedia. I hope that helps people find the right episodes to watch each week. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, I’ve spent some time this weekend watching and adding vocab to the google doc. I hope it helps a bit with the listening comprehension for those that watch without subs. :slight_smile:

(and for me to really learn these words…spoiler alert: there’s lots of :fish: names! ^^’ )

1 Like

Episode 3
So detective Sherlock holmes and watson are at it again

anyone going to make him pay for the daikon he snapped in half?? Licks! And puts back?!!

Lol they drove them to the farm in a taxi but didn’t give them a ride back

Hope they go into their back stories. Why do they know so much about food?
Is eating a tomato from the bottom normal?

2 Likes

Presumably, Yamaoka knows much about food because he’s the son of Kaibara Yuuzan (I almost wrote his name as capybara :rofl: ), the president of the gourmet club. As for Kurita, she has good palate but doesn’t know about food as much as Yamaoka, probably because she doesn’t come from a gourmet family. Also because she’s only 22 years old.

2 Likes

You ask the hardest questions! :joy: The whole licking and putting back is gross. o_o Let’s see what the POLLs say about eating tomatoes from the bottom! :wink:

2 Likes