~ Oishinbo ~ 🥘 🍙 🍱

If you’re fine with that, I’ll get to updating the watch schedule sometime later this week. ^^

As proposed and talked about, we’ll be pausing our Oishinbo watch schedule until the next year, restarting things on January the 3rd 2022.

@Nemuitanuki you never commented but I hope this is alright with you. :slight_smile: Let me know otherwise and any thoughts you might have!

@plantron_RickMatsuri thanks for understanding. Looking forward to watching with you again next year! ^>^

I haven’t really updated the watch schedule, but I’ll leave things with this announcement to give me time to do the recalculations of the dates…though maybe I could make the OP post a wiki if any of you wanna step up to the challenge. :slight_smile: In any case, I’ll get round to eventually.

Edit:
Basically, if you’ve been considering this show but haven’t gotten onboard or started posting in the thread yet, this is a great opportunity to get involved :high_touch:

Even if I’m not actively watching new episodes, I’ll still keep track of the thread. If you wanna have a chat about the episodes you’re currently on, please post away! :slight_smile:

Hoping to see some of you start this lovely show! ^>^

2 Likes

I finally got around to updating the watch schedule. :slight_smile:

We restart the watch-marathon on January the 3rd 2022. See you there! :high_touch:

1 Like

@plantron_RickMatsuri and @Nemuitanuki I hope you’re getting ready for the next year! ^>^

Looking forward to watching the last leg of this series with you (and any of you other people that haven’t posted so far in the thread! ^^; )

2 Likes
Nice: 再会の丼

Back when I was still stuck in a hotel room for 2 weeks after arriving in Singapore, I could watch NHK World Premium. Since I was jetlagged, I was watching TV at 3 or 4 in the morning, and sometimes they have programs about Shogi or Go. But there was one show with just one guy telling stories. Now I know the name of this tradition: 落語.

I don’t know of any other storytelling tradition like this in other culture. But this stemmed from the time before people could print books or write a blog. Stories are passed from person to person, and storytellers like these must have existed in every part of the world. I hope Rakugo can thrive in modern Japan.

Episode 70: 玄米VS白米

I’m not an athlete, but I was a bit surprised that these athletes eat brown rice. Usually, athletes in competition are advised to eat carbs, so I don’t think white rice is that unhealthy if you’re going to jog all day and night afterwards.

Happy New Year! Two episodes without Kaibara Yuuzan, so refreshing! I’m tired of rehashing that rivalry that never seems to go anywhere between Yamaoka and his dad.

1 Like

Rakugo is interesting. I’ve seen it called Japanese sit-down comedy, but, as you say, it’s a kind of storytelling (and you’re assumed to know the stories referenced) so really quite different from stand-up comedy, though both are about making fun about the realities/absurdities in life, I guess. ^>^

1 Like

Episode 71 thoughts 骨のない魚

This episode isn’t so much about food, but insomnia. Apparently, if you sleep well you’ll get good at Formula 1 racing! :racing_car: I guess, it’s no surprise that Yamaoka that sleeps all the time at his job, knows about how to get some good Zzzz:s :joy:

Also,

• Cool visual fx
  • Uncanny valley

0 voters

1 Like

Indeed. Are there weight-classes in Judo, as with boxing, wrestling, sumo? I guess, that could explain some of it, since you might not wanna gain weight to stay in your weight-class? :thinking: But, other than that, I’d say carbs are great for when you do a lot of exercising.

1 Like
Episode 72: 代用ガム

Next time I eat at a fancy Japanese restaurant, I will remember to ask for some flour and water to knead after my meal. I’m sure the restaurant manager and waiters will have zero problems with that :eyes:

Episode 73: 豆腐の花

Here in Singapore there is a restaurant called Yuba Hut. They actually serve good food (sushi, sashimi, donburi) but disappointingly enough, you can’t find yuba in their menu. However, I remember eating yuba many years ago, although I can’t remember where. I liked it, but then again I’m a big fan of tofu. It basically tastes and looks a bit as if there is an animal made of tofu, and you’re eating its skin :sweat_smile:

Also, is nobody going to mention the unapologetically racist girl who refuses to eat any gaijin food?

1 Like

Episode 72 thoughts:

Lol. What is it with these men, who’ve clearly made it to the top, that are still whining about the past and past offenses? :sweat_smile: Just grow up already!

But, what is it Kurita and Yamaoka is eating at Okaboshi’s restaurant that gives Yamaoka the clue as to the flour-gum? :eyes:

Jisho:
生麩 ~nama-fu; wheat gluten mixed with rice flour and steamed in large blocks​

Still, I have no idea what this is! :joy:

@plantron_RickMatsuri :rofl: Everything from how Kaibara behaves to now this, Japanese restaurants sure has a lot of unreasonable customer demands in this series. XD

Also, what are the dangers of eating chewing gum about? ^^;

Episode 73 thoughts:

I really like Black-san and had to look up his seiyuu as I really feel like his voice is familiar to me. Turns out he’s Kami-sama in Dragon Ball and Dracule Mihawk in One Piece among other roles! Sadly, he passed away in 2012. :cry:

Back to this episode, no wonder I had a hard time picking out what they’re saying for fermented tofu. According to Jisho, you can both say 臭豆腐 = 1) しゅうどうふ 2) チョウドウフ (there were others, but I think 臭豆腐 was the word used here)

I can’t say I know what ポタージュ is but Jisho says French cuisine (potage (thick soup)). Then looking at an actual recipe it seems to simply be smoothly blended soup with cream in it. :sweat_smile: Should be tasty enough!

But, I guess, every character in this series, has a little Kaibara inside of themselves that loves to smash food onto the floor instead. :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

Episode 74 thoughts

辛い = harsh, painful

I wonder about the nuance of using 辛い for talking about hardships compared to 苦労 ~ くろう ~ trouble; hardship; difficulty; labour; labor; toil; pains. I guess, “lighter” hardships?? :thinking: or you’d use the “real word” for it?

But, yeah, this episode is certainly a bit controversial.* Not sure what to make of it. Basically, it’s about the Japanese families who lived in China during WWII, who then had to leave the country in the aftermath, often getting separated as a family, leaving children behind.

Tomii apparently is one of these people who spent their childhood in China, who is now trying to help some of these Japanese people find and reconnect with their families in Japan after all these years, especially a man called Sai.

There’s not much to go on here, but a food memory, which is how Yamaoka and Kurita becomes involved in searching for someone that knows about Sai’s family and who could tell him about who they were, or rather, they get tasked with finding “black sashimi”.

Somehow Yamaoka manage to stumble upon an answer, he’s way too lucky in this way, and so Sai gets to eat the right fish (and especially the liver). But, what was the fish called?? :sweat_smile: kawa??? I keep hearing kawagimo, but that’s just a way to say fish name + liver: (肝 kimo->gimo). I’ve seen that construct plenty of times before in food videos.

*the lack of self-critique as to why Japanese people where in China to begin with, is a bit hard to ignore. Here Japanese families are the victims, which I guess is true, but also severely lacking in context! >_>

Edit: I went back and relistened and the fish is 皮剥ぎ ~ (just don’t google that as the meaning is also skinning also in the context of torture! :fearful:!!!
皮剥ぎ ~ かわはぎ ~ thread-sail filefish (Stephanolepis cirrhifer)​

1 Like

I know I’m way too early to post this…but rather than doing as before I’m just gonna post my thoughts spoiler tagged.

Episode 75 thoughts

Summary

This is the return of the horror that is Kaibara Yuuzan and his elitist gourmet club, now focusing on a new face called Miai, that apparently works alongside Okaboshi’s little brother in the kitchens.

As usual, when Kaibara is around, unfair judgements and harsh punishments are given out. I do think it’s rather ironic that the fancy gourmet club has issues with cockroaches, but why that would be a single person’s fault is beyond me (especially someone that had just started working there). :woman_facepalming: Not to mention, it looks like they have the door open to the kitchens most of the time…not the best of ways to keep nature out!

Well, this was an informative episode about sea urchins so I quite liked it all the same.

Also, is it just me, but lately, Yamaoka and Kurita are having more and more dinners on their own, without the other Tozai news people? :eyes:

1 Like

Episode 76 thoughts

The theme of this episode is stinky food, or rather, how what we view as good or bad in food is culturally ingrained and so, what smells or tastes nice to one person, might be stinky and vile to another.

I’m fascinated by how childish men in this series are, throwing a fit as soon as something bothers them a little bit. :sweat_smile:

Episode 77 thoughts

I like that we get to revisit characters in this series. It wasn’t long ago that we got to see the female sushi chef again, and now it’s the udon-restaurant with the big guy former athletes.

But the main focus of this episode is on a pension in the mountains having trouble drawing customers.

Summary

The tips Yamaoka gives, reminds me a lot of Gordon Ramsay’s kitchen nightmares in the UK: use local ingredients and make local cuisine well.

it really doesn’t make much sense to make fancy foreign food in small communities, it’s just not what the locals want to eat. In this case, it also seems to be a trend, so it’s very hard to stand out among the crowd of other pensions. Also, something Ramsay often brings up is just that: take a look at the type of cuisine existing restaurants serve and choose a different cuisine to serve!

New vocab: 食欲の秋 ~ しょくよくのあき ~ autumn, season of good appetite​
打つ ~ うつ ~ 8. to make (noodles, etc.); to prepare​ - I was not aware of this use of 打つ. Well, it’s a word with multiple meanings after all. Udon o utsu = to prepare/make udon.

Episode recipe: Hoto - Noodle Soup from Yamanashi ほうとう • Just One Cookbook

1 Like

I am still in a Oishinbo watching mood and am plunging ahead with week 28’s watching schedule. Just ignore me for the moment. :slight_smile:

Episode 78-79 thoughts

Summary

We’ve got some important plot developments in these episodes as the rivalry between Yamaoka and his father takes a turn for the worse: Teito news announces the creation of a 至高のメニュー (the Supreme/Sublime Menu) with Kaibara Yuuzan! dun dun dun

It’s quite interesting that it’s taken this show this long to make it clear, but apparently all that food research Yamaoka and Kurita has done, has not meant they’ve made much progress on the Ultimate Menu, or rather, it has not been published yet. And now Teito News and Kaibara Yuuzan have shamelessly announced their own menu and stolen the idea! :angry:

There is only one path forward, and it’s facing Teito News and Kaibara head on and simply make better content/dishes! :triumph: This also means the fight between father and son is going to be public matter, as they now go head to head in creating the better cuisine. First match: egg based dish! :egg:

A humble ingredient for sure, but so versatile.

I wonder what the story is about the place where Touzai news tries out Yamaoka’s dish? :joy:

Tbh, I can’t stand barely boiled eggs with a runny white. :nauseated_face: No matter what condiment you’d use with it, it’s a big no for me.

This episode is also a good reminder of the main tenets of cooking we’ve seen proven again and again by Yamaoka: i) how important the quality of the ingredients is; ii) that simplicity is often preferable to over-complicating your cooking iii) to not assume the most expensive/fancy ingredients = the best ingredients.

If only Yamaoka had remembered that…

continuation thoughts (ep 79)

While Yamaoka’s dish was a dud in the last episode, we get a rematch in this one! :triumph:

After admitting defeat, Kaibara give away his secrets to his egg dish: one of them being that he’s used the first ever egg layed by a hen.

Now this is interesting since it hardly seems possible. Firstly, when hens start to lay eggs, the eggs are really small, so not really preferable if you’re after the yolk (which is what Kaibara is using). Only with age, does the hen start to lay bigger eggs.

But more than anything, the first egg often doesn’t contain a yolk but are therefore sometimes referred to “fairy eggs”, “wind eggs” or even “fart eggs”. What are Fairy Eggs and Why Do Chickens Lay Them? - Fresh Eggs Daily®
Since Kaibara is using the yolk, this doesn’t make any sense.

But, I guess, he’s got a point: if you’re trying to cash in on people’s superstition about the first egg being the best egg a hen lays in their life, you’ll need to keep watch over the chicken at all times - which means pampering the chicken and taking great care of it - which should indeed give you superior eggs to most other hens. So, as long as the eggs don’t turn out without a yolk, I guess, they should be tasty enough. :thinking:

Thankfully, it’s not game over for Yamaoka just yet. Touyama-seisei speaks up about the unfairness about Kaibara having access to eggs that Yamaoka simply didn’t: it’s not about which dish superior but about ingredients then! (seems fair to me, but yeah it’s as Touyama says a “boring” conclusion to the competition).

And so, Yamaoka is allowed time to improve upon his dish and we end up with a draw instead.

I for one, am looking forward to the next show down! :grin:

Also, I noticed this when trying to look up the name of the little brother to Okaboshi (the restaurant owner Yamaoka and Kurita like to frequent), only to realize something decidedly off about the images used! :joy:

Same Difference? :rofl:

1 Like

What website is that?

Google “preview”? or what to call it. I have no idea from where Google draws its data, but it’s the same if you search for movies with a certain actor, at the top Google will show you tumbnails of movie posters + the names of the movies, I assume aggregated from Wikipedia or imdb etc.? In this case, I wonder what happened here… XD

1 Like

…who live in a world where the Yakuza is easily intimidated and owns no firearms.

Episode 76: 臭さの魅力

Oishinbo writers are running out of ideas, and they turn supposedly sophisticated international gourmets into little children who have never heard of stinky food items from around the world. Who needs Kaibara Yuuzan when everybody acts like kindergartners?

Episode 77: ペンションの名物

This must have been the origin of Kitchen Nightmares. Gordon Ramsay, er, I mean Yamaoka visits an inn that serves French food. The food is good, but why is the restaurant empty? It turns out that you should play to the strength of your restaurant’s location. Also, old lady makes better udon than three sumo wrestlers combined.

1 Like

The irony of even the udon restaurant owner being taught a lesson from this old lady is a bit much. ^^; You’d think he’d been a little bit better at his craft after all those years of making udon? But, then again, most pro chefs claim their mothers are better chefs than they are. :wink:

1 Like