~ Oishinbo ~ 🥘 🍙 🍱

Epispde 1
2nd time watching this episode let’s go!

stuff

Vocab
究極、きゅうきょく lol I thought it was 急国

Characters
Something ゆうこ、keeps missing her name
22 years old
Yama
-yamaoka shio?? 27 years old

Episode:

-Really want to get a bunch of tofu and see if I can tell them apart
-keep hearing the word ふみ?
-Fuwa guwa should be banned.
-omg that fish liver looks amazing.

It’s about:

So Yuko starts a new job. Both her and yamaoka get the tofu water test correct. They need to write an ultimate menu. They go for a dinner for some reason. Yamaoka challenges the menu. Catches a big fish and expertly cuts it up.Yuko gets seasick. Fish is better.

Questions 助けて

何で

Why was Yuko trying to stop him from getting on the train?
Fish’s name is Anko??
Why did they go to that dinner? I don’t get the point of it

2 Likes

Episode 1
Okay. So the dinner is with a bunch of company affiliated food critics/connoisseur or are they like directors??? (I haven’t rewatched yet, so this is from my memory). And basically they’ve formed this group to create the Ultimate Menu is my take on it. And when asked what the best food is, they bring up foie gras as an epitome of great cuisine. Which Yamaoka challenges.

Then he does the fish and cook of the monkfish, preparing the liver of it. And brings it back to the same people who are then forced to concede that the monkfish liver is better than foie gras. And after this, the group is disbanded and Yamaoka and Kurita are from this point on given free range of how to create the Ultimate Menu.

2 Likes

More episode 1 comments!

So, I’ve been rewatching to remember this scene. But basically Yamaoka is a lazy bum type of worker. So, after they’ve been given the responsibility to oversee the Ultimate Menu, Yamaoka play hooky while Kurita frantically tries to locate him.

A co-worker says Yamaoka likes to gamble on horses, and thus Kurita moves her search to the subway only to find Yamaoka on a bench and indeed checking the paper for which horse to bet on. She begs him to return to work, but he blatantly says he doesn’t care/“not my problem” and gets on the train instead, only to realize that by letting Kurita grab his jacket he doesn’t have his wallet anymore. :joy: (so presumably he can’t do any gambling as planned). ^^

But, yeah, Yamaoka is called a “ぐうたら社員” by the other female employees before they go to the tofu/water testing. And Yamaoka does nothing to disprove it as he’s completely unenthused by being given responsibility for the Ultimate Menu, while Kurita is happy for the opportunity to prove herself being a new employee.

ぐうたら (n,adj-no,adj-na) lazybones, good-for-nothing, idler
社員 【しゃいん】 (n) (1) company employee, (2) company stockholders (esp. in legal contexts), members of a corporation, (P)

2 Likes

So, I’ve created a vocab list for us on Google docs if people wanna take note of any words. :slight_smile:

To the main post I’ve also added a section about the main cast of the show, to help people orient themselves. @Nemuitanuki :wink:

2 Likes

Omg I can’t believe I missed that entire thing.

Thanks for the character section lol.
Trying to catch names is so difficult.
Could look them up but you know. Sleepy

2 Likes

Episode 2!
I’m hungry now

Had one of those days where I my brain can’t comprehend Japanese. It happens.

that sucks

Poor cook that had to leave the room because his shrimp lost.

2 Likes

Episode 2:

It’s all about

接待【せったい】 (reception, welcome, serving (food), (2) business entertainment) type of situation.

The Renoir owner is first taken to a fancy restaurant, but that place has the audacity to serve food out of season! The fried mackerel being the final straw before he storms out of the room. People who are that insensitive and undiscerning about food is not worthy of his Renoir! booo! :joy:

鯵 あじ Japanese jack mackerel, horse mackerel

So, Oohara turns to Kurita and Yamaoka in hope that they can make it up to Mantaro Kyogoku (the painting owner). Yamaoka’s solution is to seek out Tatsu-san, a homeless person, who receives food from various places for taking care of their trash, and therefore knows Ginza’s restaurants well. Yamaoka gives a very different せったい to Tatsu-san, bringing the sake :sake:, while they share some food Tatsu-san just got from a restaurant, on the floor of the subway while people walk past - much to Kurita’s embarrassment! :sweat_smile:

Tatsu tips them off about a restaurant in Ginza. (Minor spoiler) This restaurant will be featured repeatedly as the Touzai News become regulars of this place and we further get to know the cook and owner, Seiichi Okaboshi

Yamaoka it a real jerk here! >: Telling Kurita to go home and sleep, since it’s past bedtime for kids. (this is a 27-year old talking to a 22-year old :woman_facepalming: ) while Yamaoka says he’ll do further research.

Arriving at the restaurant some days later, Mantaro Kyogoku is full of doubt about the place. He’s rather rude and dismissing about the whole thing. “will a place (simple-looking like this is implied) be able to serve any good food?”, “so, the chef is this greenhorn”

若造 わかぞう youngster; neophyte; greenhorn

It’s interesting how rude Yamaoka is as well! He doesn’t greet Kyogoku in any way, just stays seated and tells the chef to start preparing the food.

And the dish presented is quite the shocker! lol It’s a standard Japanese breakfast, miso-soup, fish, and rice. That’s it! :joy:

丸干し まるぼし whole dried small fish; whole dried daikon​

But of course, all is not as it seems! dun dun dun

Yamaoka has done extensive research about Kyogoku as a person, looking into where he’s from and thus the dish reflects his hometown and is meticulously prepared by Okaboshi, the chef, using the very best ingredients (rice, miso, etc). So it’s deeply nostalgic and personal to Kyogoku, who is deeply moved by this simple dish.

I guess the moral in this episode is that expensive food can’t beat personal and well-made simplicity in cooking. :slight_smile:

BUT, things doesn’t end there. When it’s revealed that the true mastermind behind this dish is Yamaoka, Kyogoku thinks he recognizes Yamaoka as the son of Kaibara Yuuzan. Yamaoka insists he doesn’t know any Kaibara, and that that Kyogoku is mistaken.

And that confrontation makes Yamaoka try to resign from the assignment of the Ultimate Menu! Clearly, something deeper lies behind Yamaoka’s deep dislike for culinary snobbishness - even though he clearly knows a LOT about food. Enter Kaibara Yuuzan dramatic music dun dun

Turns out Yamaoka really IS the son of Kaibara Yuuzan, a well-known culinary figure and founder of the Gourmet Club - the epitome of snobbish eating and food appreciation for the affluent. It turns out Kaibara has a very antagonistic attitude to his son, just as Yamaoka dislikes him!

Kaibara accuses Yamaoka of incompetence when it comes to food, bringing up the art of tempura as a challenge. :fried_shrimp: A challenge Yamaoka can’t back down from!

Which leads to the walk of shame: :joy:

While Yamaoka lose the pissing competition against Kaibara, the confrontation makes him committed to the Ultimate Menu! Yay! ^>^

So, that’s the big conclusion of this episode and so the main setting for the show is now set up with these first episodes.

2 Likes

Omg the nerve.

I was wondering what his problem was

I think I’ve had this one or something similar. They were selling it outside a restaurant on a stick. Delicious.

2 Likes

Next week we’re watching episode 3 & 4 which @plantron has pointed out is missing from YouTube. We’re a very small group here, but me and Nemuitanuki are both able to watch them, so I don’t believe in changing the schedule but rather hope people will find some way to watch them (it will also make it hard to plan a schedule as I don’t know which episodes are missing).

Or you might just wanna move ahead to episodes 5-6. As long as you use spoiler tags when commenting about major events it should be fine. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i read some of the manga (in english) a few years ago so this might be interesting to do !

3 Likes

Welcome to the Oishinbo club! ^>^ Glad to have you join us!

welcome-clipart-gif-267761

2 Likes

Went out to eat tonight and had ホッケ
Inspired by episode 2
I usually don’t order rice because it fills me up too quickly

Fish and some soup. It was pretty good

3 Likes

That looks delicious. I take it you’re skilled at eating fish with chopsticks then? :eyes: :joy: I’m unsure of how I’d attack a whole fish with chopstick to be honest. Fork and knife is pretty handy for deboneing fish on a plate for example.

2 Likes

Not a problem. The bones come right off with the top skin. Underneath is super easy to pick up.

2 Likes

I’m immediately starting in on episode 3 and that is a real time capsule kind of episode. It takes a dig at convenience stores, where nearly everyone today gets their groceries (except @saibaneko I guess! :wink: ). At the start of the episode Yamaoka and Kurita is there for the grand opening of the New Ginza store, which is clearly a new concept for everyone involved: having all sorts of ingredients and groceries in the same store! Totally radical! :joy: (but it’s true, it didn’t always work like that)

While the store looks fab, Yamaoka is quick to finds faults at the quality of the produce and that becomes the theme of this episode.

Basically, it a clash between the romantic ideal of homegrown veggies, harvested the same day as they’re eaten - and the modern convenience of buying groceries at convenience stores which is now the modern day norm.

So, yeah, this episode shows the part of Oishinbo that is rather idealistic and nostalgic about certain things about food culture: such as how food is grown, crops are handled, and livestock raised. It’s a recurring theme for the show. Which also points some awareness about sustainability issues - which is really forward looking for its time for sure! That theme is more apparent in other episodes, but it’s sort of in this one as well.

What I think is especially interesting is that Yamaoka’s critique is as true then as it is today! It’s still a valid point.

For example, in Sweden, tomatoes are notoriously sour because they pick them before they mature and then the fruit mature on the transport to the store basically. That can never be as sweet and tasty as the tomatoes you eat in Italy or Greece, fully matured and picked and then served within days. It’s a huge difference in flavor. So, any imported tomatoes during winter are watery and a bit sour in Sweden = generally a big disappointment (if you’ve ever been to Greece and eaten a Greek salad or something. It a mind-blowing difference.)

But this is what we can get here in Sweden that also doesn’t spoil too soon. Which is also an important factor. We don’t want stuff that immediately goes bad in stores, since it’s truly not sustainable to throw food away! That’s the last thing we want. So, I think we don’t really have much of a choice, unless better and faster means of transport becomes a thing in the future in Europe (like Shinkansen type of train-transport for example could be a solution -theoretically)

Those are my thoughts about this episode! ^^

1 Like

I"ve been trying to get some さば since watching that episode the other day :joy: but the さば restaurant is closed (both branches, I checked :sweat_smile: ). Hopefully with the end of lockdown they will open again next week.

2 Likes

My opinion is that we should stick to the schedule. There are some who are behind schedule and they can catch up (watch episodes 1 and 2) before we move on.

The thing that caught my attention in episode 3 is that the moustache boss (I think his name is Tanimura) called our female protagonist “Kurita-kun”. I used to think that “kun” is only used for boys, but it doesn’t seem to be true. The big boss (Ohara) also called her “Kurita-kun” back in episode 1.

1 Like

Yes, that is a good language point! But, yeah, ~kun is more gender neutral than you’d think. It’s just a respectful way to address someone, who is your junior at work. So, ~san, is overdoing it. And ~chan at work is kind of condecending and inappropriate.

I wonder if there is some time specificity to it? Maybe we can call @Leebo in here? ^>^ In hope for some answers. But I understand ~kun as gender neutral basically used for juniors at work.

BUT, I listen to a lot of voice actor free talks and stuff. And during one involving Yamaguchi Kappei, Morikawa Toshiyuki and Narita Ken and the studio director Abe, Abe calls Yamaguchi: Kappei-chan!!! :eyes: This is really eyebrow raising, but from the context you can gather that it’s not an insult or anything bad really. In fact, I’ve heard Yamaguchi Kappei also used the ~chan about another male actor, Okiayu Ryou-chan :joy: ( Ryotaro Okiayu).* So, I just gather that they have a kind of their own rapport - plus they are talking about BL cd voice acting where Kappei IS voice acting the bottom (so perceive female role in this specific instance). Still, it’s become clear to me that the san, kun, chan, chama, sama, are a bit flexible and negotionable between the parties in question. It’s not clear cut.

So, I’m still trying to figure that one out. Though it does seem like voice actors in general get to be quite familiar with each other and can push boundaries of many kinds in conversation and language with each other. It’s a kind of playful rudeness going on - which I don’t think can be translated outside of their very specific circumstances.

Unless you also develop this kind of funny, carefree rapport with your coworkers -maybe??? :eyes:

What say you @Leebo about that last point? does this happen at work, this play around politeness?

*(I’ll add that there are other nick names getting thrown around for voice actors, like MikiShin for Shinichiro Miki or MoriMori for Morikawa Toshiyuki. They all sound like endearments to me ^^ )

1 Like
Episode 3: 野菜の鮮度

Yamaoka helps Itayama Shuuji (the owner of the New Ginza Department Store) to become more successful by introducing him to fresh products. But does Yamaoka get monetary compensation for this? After all, Yamaoka does not work for Itayama. Sure, not everything in this world is about money, but this is like helping Jeff Bezos get richer without getting paid yourself. :thinking: Also, this is not going to be the last time Yamaoka helps Itayama…

1 Like

That’s another fair point! :joy: This anime is quite idealistic really. ^^’

1 Like