Oh, Come On! Closest Wrong Answers thread

As soon as I saw the thread title, that’s the example I was planning to give! Law. Laws. I get it, but yeah, frustrating!

Thank you!

1 Like

駅長:station master, Train Station Master, Train Stationmaster.

I wrote: train station supervisor, train station manager.

Maybe it’s cultural thing more specific to Japan? I’m not used to “master” as part of a professional title. English isn’t my first language though even though I’m fluent I think. Just wondering.

Isn’t the train station manager the same as the station master?

1 Like

@JenK ?

Also, regarding 大仏 wouldn’t “big” buddha statue also work? Does it need to be “giant” to be accepted?

Sorry for the late reply, just catching up from vacation. If you want to type ‘big buddha’ instead of ‘great’ or ‘giant’, then you’ll have to add it to your user synonyms. We don’t have all the synonyms possible listed, just the ones that are used more often. 大仏 is usually labelled as ‘The Great Buddha’.

1 Like

This also I think depends on how you use the word ‘manager’ in your country. It’s hard to directly translate all the nuance into English words, but 駅長 I think of something like the ‘head’ of that station. I also don’t really use ‘master’ a lot in English but to me, it works better here for the Japanese word because manager or supervisor gives me the idea that there could be someone above them as well.

1 Like

These are killing me right now. Did you ever figure them out?

1 Like

I managed to get 少佐 down through sheer repetition since it comes up a lot in a game I play. The other ones still give me trouble. The fact that I can’t differentiate those terms even in my own language probably doesn’t help either lol.

Anyways, if you scroll down a bit from my original comment you’ll see someone helped me with some mnemonics!

2 Likes

ENGLISH!!!

But it turns out it was not to be

(Yes, I added two synonyms)

3 Likes

4 Likes

I get that what I typed is not very good English but I just don’t think about trains that often, Wanikani T__T

4 Likes

(thank you, close-tab-exploit)

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.