Oh, Come On! Closest Wrong Answers thread

I kinda could, yeah. Hahaha. Not to worry. No harm done. And I mean, I still remember getting angry with Duolingo’s rigid translations for Japanese back in the day, so I completely understand.

1 Like

Jen modding

Jen durtling on dem forumz

1 Like

My response in that exchange would have been much less polite.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay. I was just chatting about this with our content team.

So is WK teaching that conversation is 議 and discussion is 談?

At the moment we teach 議 as “deliberation” or “discussion” and 談 as “discuss”, but we’re looking into updating the meaning for 談 to make it clear that its meaning covers more than “discuss” does in English.

When it comes to the individual kanji of ‘談’, does it convey exclusively ‘discuss’ or can it mean both ‘conversation’ and ‘discussion’?

It can mean both - the meaning of this kanji is very broad! It also has related meanings like “talk”, “consult”, and “narrate”, depending on the kanji it’s combined with and the wider context.

7 Likes

What about 10 000?

1 Like

It’s over 9000

Actually I think that one is so people don’t type 20000/20 000 (or any other number) and benefit from the ‘one typo still gets you a correct answer’-thing because with numbers that can be misleading - 10000 and 40000 are not the same

I thought separating thousands with spaces was just in French. When I was working on a website for my former employer, they used spaces in French and commas for English.

If they decide to allow spaces, they probably should allow commas and periods as well. Spanish uses a period to separate thousands.

1 Like

I got another one I think. It’s regarding 間. If I recall correctly, 間 is “interval” but ~間 only accepts interval of time. It might not be a mistake however, just checking.

間 (あいだ) takes “interval”, ~間 (かん) takes “amount/interval/period of time”.

1 Like

For 両方 why is “both ways” correct but “both directions” considered wrong?

@Mods

I didn’t get any reply so I figured I’d tag the mods.

Also:

力士: accepts sumo wrestler but doesn’t accept sumo. What’s the difference?
殺す: to murder is not accepted but to kill is. What’s the difference?

I think the difference between a sumo wrestler and sumo is like the difference between a soldier and a battle. They’re not at all synonymous.

2 Likes

Oh you mean as in sumo is the sport and sumo wrestler is the participant?

1 Like

Yes, that’s right.

1 Like

Murder is specifically people. 殺すcan be used for animals. Possibly other things too.

2 Likes

Ok, good point.

Not the CLOSEST but I mean…come on :frowning:

2 Likes

@Mods
Do I not access the security clearance to be privy to his information? This is the third time I’m asking. :sweat_smile:

i think 両方 means “both ways” in a figurative sense, as in “both apple and orange” or “both car and train”. Whereas “both directions” are more on the direction of a physical space kind of thing.

i often encounter 両方 when immersing and it always mean that in a figurative sense.

1 Like

…Third time’s the charm? :sweat_smile: I’m so sorry, I don’t know why we missed it!

It’s basically what @hilmyaas said! Directions tend to be more of an actual physical direction, and for that, you can use a word like 両方向.

2 Likes