Offshoot Club: それでも歩は寄せてくる ・ When will Ayumu Make his Move? ♟ - Currently reading: Volume 17

How embarrassed I am hahaha. Of course its a Kanji that is literally staring me in the face all day long. I made a Dragon Quest cheat sheet and taped it the wall next to my desk ages ago. Since then I have even burned that Kanji and related vocab. Certainly got the wires crossed on that one.

5 Likes

I have to admit I just roughly read all the shougi stuff this week. It seemed like they were having fun, finally playing a (somewhat) equal match after giving a handicap. But that was enough understanding for me! :smiley:
Still seems amazing when you are able to replay the whole match. Let’s also appreciate how the author actually came up with replayable/realistic(?) games! :hushed: (or are they using records of existing ones?)

The story this week was sooo adorable! A great end for a great volume, now I’m looking forward to volume 4!

Fav panel of the week :D

8 Likes

Has everyone seen the official trailer for the anime? :smiley:

12 Likes

I have now! :grin:

It’ll be fun to watch it while we’re still going through the manga. I assume a first season will cover the first volume or two, but not necessarily in the same order as the manga? I remember Takagi-san doing something like that. Maybe it will make for good listening practice!

5 Likes

I think it’s almost time for volume 4, will there be a new thread soon? :slight_smile:
(Or am I overlooking an existing one?)

5 Likes

Ready to go?

9 Likes

Hey guys, probably a big ask but I don’t suppose anybody has mined some of the sentences into an Anki deck and wouldn’t mind sharing it?

3 Likes

Well, well, well… you already know what’s coming right? (o˘◡˘o)

IT’S POOL TIME :tada: :tada: :tada:

Do you want to proceed with Volume 5?

• Yep!
  • I’m taking my time to finish Vol. 4

0 voters

If you want to proceed with Vol. 5, when do you want to start?

• March 19th (one week after the end of Vol. 4)
  • March 26th (two weeks after the end of Vol. 4)

0 voters

6 Likes

It’s finally time to start Volume 5 - already at the 5th one (!!!), how time flies!

7 Likes

As we keep an eye out for the whereabouts of @anon45600167, we’re about ready to start reading volume 6. When will we make our move?

• Start this weekend, May 14th.
  • Take a week off, then start May 21st.
  • Take two weeks off, then start May 28th.
  • I don’t mind. Any date is fine for me.

0 voters

@MrGeneric, @liveunderwater, @2OC3aOdKgwSGlxfz, @aamunoz, @sakuchu, @fyrember, @msbrown, @mperrott

5 Likes

The thread for volume 6 is now live!

@Mods, while we wait for @anon45600167’s hopeful return, can this current offshoot book club thread we’re on be made into a wiki, please?

2 Likes

Sure, done :sparkles:

3 Likes

@omk3, sorry to bug you, since you’re no longer reading along, but you’re the only person I know who is a regular off the top of my head. Do you think you could do us a favor and update the title to reflect that we have moved on to volume 6? :bowing_man:

3 Likes

Done! Happy reading, everyone! :smiley:

4 Likes

Next week is the final week of volume 6.

Now’s a good time to poll on volume 7.

Should we take a break between volumes?
  • No break between volumes.
  • One week break between volumes.
  • I don’t mind either way.

0 voters

Next one will probably be a bit controversial.

Should be up the number of chapters we read per week to three? (I imagine everyone reading along can handle it.)

Or should we stick with two chapters per week? (That way the series lasts longer.)

I’m looking for whether we have a supermajority who’d like to do three chapters per week. Otherwise, I think it’s best to maintain the status quo of two weeks per chapter.

How many chapters per week sounds good to you?

• Two chapters per week. (Let’s stretch this out!)
  • Three chapters per week. (Let’s get more out of each week!)
  • I don’t mind either way.

0 voters

4 Likes

Looks like we’ll be starting the next volume in one week, and we’ll go ahead and stick with two chapters per week. Thanks for voting everyone!

Be sure to avoid the spoilers page at the end of volume 6 if you don't want to be spoiled for volume 7!
3 Likes

The thread for volume 7 is now available:

(Also, I may have just hit my max of consecutive posts for this thread.)

2 Likes

I’ll break you out of post limit prison. :wink:

2 Likes

While you’re in the area, MrRegular @MrGeneric, can I request a thread title change to volume 7? =D

2 Likes

Sure thing! Change is made. :grinning:

3 Likes