Offshoot Club: それでも歩は寄せてくる ・ When will Ayumu Make his Move? ♟ - Currently reading: Volume 17

Wow so many cool resources in here. Thank you all for all the information. I’m taking notes of it, and bookmarking all the links to be ready for when we start reading the manga.

Really looking forward to it :smiley:

6 Likes

To very briefly expand, the fact that it’s often completely wrong is not the problem in my opinion – it’s that as a beginner, it’s impossible to know for certain whether it’s wrong or not.

Suppose you have a line that you think you maybe understand, but want to check with GT. If GT comes up with something plausible (i.e. not totally nonsensical), there are four possible outcomes here:

• You were wrong, but GT agrees with you; you take this as confirmation that you had it right (BAD END)
  • You were wrong, and GT’s (different) answer is also wrong (BAD END)
  • You were right, but GT’s answer is wrong and plausible enough that you assume you had it wrong (BAD END)
  • You were right, GT agrees with you, and you take this as confirmation (GOOD END)

It’s a three-to-one chance of damaging your study process. A much better way to do things is literally skip stuff you can’t figure out. If you don’t know, then you don’t know. No worries! Make peace with not knowing stuff and push it off to your future self to worry about instead. Chances are very good that something you’re struggling with right now will be a piece of cake in three months.

9 Likes

Thanks for the reply @jacobalbano, I was considering mentioning you but was unsure on etiquette =D

I wanted to add/stress that even though I may appear to be disagreeing with Jacobalbano in the original thread, I think I actually pretty much agree with all of their points.

Even more so within the context of a book club, it will pretty much always be better to ask if you’re unsure.

Great writeup, and congrats on finishing Persona 5!

4 Likes

I would love to join but I’m still on vol.1 and I don’t think I can finish in 2 days :caught_durtling: T-T

3 Likes

:wind_chime: The Volume 2 thread is now up! For those new to offshoot clubs, we’ll have one thread per volume instead of one per chapter! :wind_chime:

7 Likes

Hello hello hello!

We’re almost done with それでも歩は寄せてくる Volume 2 (´。• ᵕ •。`) :heart: So now it’s poll time!

Do you want to proceed with Volume 3?

• Yep!
  • I’m taking my time to finish Vol. 2

0 voters

If you want to proceed with Vol. 3, when do you want to start?

• November 27th (one week after the end of Vol. 2)
  • December 4th (two weeks after the end of Vol. 2)

0 voters

7 Likes

All-in for Ayumu still, definitely. I voted Dec 4th just cause I’ll take every chance I can get to catch up on the too-many things I’m trying to juggle, but I can certainly manage the 27th if that’s what we do. Thanks as always for running this; I always look forward to the next week :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thank you everyone for voting ☆*:.。.o(≧▽≦)o.。.:*☆

I have already set up everything for Volume 3, starting November 27th! (°◡°♡)

9 Likes

:wind_chime: ding ding, attention attention, please! Volume 3 thread is here for the bookclub starting on November 27th! :wind_chime:

7 Likes

So… it seems yesterday we started Volume 3, and here I’m now, ready for you-know-what right? (o˘◡˘o)

IT’S POOL TIME :tada: :tada: :tada:

Do you want to proceed with Volume 4?

• Yep!
  • I’m taking my time to finish Vol. 3

0 voters

If you want to proceed with Vol. 4, when do you want to start?

• January 22nd (one week after the end of Vol. 3)
  • January 29th (two weeks after the end of Vol. 3)

0 voters

3 Likes

The choice has been made! :postal_horn::postal_horn::postal_horn: We’ll start Volume on January 22nd!!
Thank you everyone who voted! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

In the meantime enjoy the last few chapter of Volume 3!! ( ◕▿◕ )

8 Likes

A good deal of Shogi terminology here that I have spent too much time in the rabbit hole trying to piece together. Even relearned Kifu notation and got my Shogi board out to play through their entire match. After watching a few youtube videos on 棒銀 and 四間飛車 I think I started to get the gist but I’d really love for someone with Shogi playing experience to explain what is going on.

pg 119

First of all, the furigana for 四間飛車 is 守り. So is 「得意の四間飛車じゃなくて」, “defense is not my strong suit.”? Or is it more like “defending 四間飛車 is not my specialty.”?
Finding it impossible to identify the furigana for 居飛車急戦. I’m guessing its set-up like 守り is, but even at 300% zoom I can’t figure out what it is. It looks like such an obvious kanji too its driving me crazy. :face_vomiting:
If 居飛車 is static rook and 急戦 is something like “attacking suddenly,” that sounds more like 守り.
Urushi wouldn’t be thinking that defense isn’t Ayumu’s strength, I don’t think. Volume 1 chapter 2 is all about Ayumu always playing Defense because of his Kendo training right?
I give up on this for now I feel like I crossed some wires somewhere in this rabbit hole

I loved that the end of chapter 40 and the beginning of 41 have no buffer. A polite よろしくお願いします followed immediately by:
パチッ
パチッ It’s on!

7 Likes

Think in pairs! What goes with (まも)り? ()め.

I don’t know shogi (beyond the very basic basics), but it seems that 四間飛車 is a technique, which I presume (based on the furigana) is for defense. It’s probably something Ayumu normally does (as he plays defensively), but this time his opening move is 居飛車急戦, an offensive move.

Typically the furigana is what is actually said/thought. Thus, the first part of Urushi’s thought would be, “Rather than his specialty of defense, he’s using offense.” (The kanji lets us know what defense move he typically uses, and which offensive move he’s leading with.) And then her second thought balloon follows, “He wants to win that much, huh?”

7 Likes

How embarrassed I am hahaha. Of course its a Kanji that is literally staring me in the face all day long. I made a Dragon Quest cheat sheet and taped it the wall next to my desk ages ago. Since then I have even burned that Kanji and related vocab. Certainly got the wires crossed on that one.

5 Likes

I have to admit I just roughly read all the shougi stuff this week. It seemed like they were having fun, finally playing a (somewhat) equal match after giving a handicap. But that was enough understanding for me! :smiley:
Still seems amazing when you are able to replay the whole match. Let’s also appreciate how the author actually came up with replayable/realistic(?) games! :hushed: (or are they using records of existing ones?)

The story this week was sooo adorable! A great end for a great volume, now I’m looking forward to volume 4!

Fav panel of the week :D

8 Likes

Has everyone seen the official trailer for the anime? :smiley:

12 Likes

I have now! :grin:

It’ll be fun to watch it while we’re still going through the manga. I assume a first season will cover the first volume or two, but not necessarily in the same order as the manga? I remember Takagi-san doing something like that. Maybe it will make for good listening practice!

5 Likes

I think it’s almost time for volume 4, will there be a new thread soon? :slight_smile:
(Or am I overlooking an existing one?)

5 Likes

Ready to go?

9 Likes

Hey guys, probably a big ask but I don’t suppose anybody has mined some of the sentences into an Anki deck and wouldn’t mind sharing it?

3 Likes