Odaka pitch accent when particles are missing

Hey there,

so I’m a bit obsessed about proper pronunciation and the like. As such, I always try to be aware of the pitch accent of words. This question is going to be kinda nerdy and super specific, but I hope someone could answer this.

Words with an odaka pitch accent have their pitch drop on the last mora. But what if there is no particle following it? Does the drop vanish? Normally this doesn’t really happen very often, but one easy example would be 明日. Normally when you hear it, you would think it is heiban, so unaccented, like in the following sentence.

あした東京にいきます。

But I recently found out that its actually an odaka word, which becomes hearable when you alter the sentence like so:

あしたは東京にいきます。

I actually found some recordings from a genki exercise that confirms this. You can also see the pitch accent for each of these sentences by typing them in here

So my question is: Does this happen to every odaka word when there is no particle? I don’t have a lot practice with casual speech yet, but I know particles are commonly dropped there. It would be interesting to me how, for example, 肉たべる would be pronounced by a native.

1 Like

Yeah from what I understand, those words have the accent on the particle, so if there’s no particle afterwards then there’s no accent (pitch drop).

3 Likes