[Obligatory Cake Pun Title Here]

I… did it. 13 months have just flown by, but here I am, chowing down on the cake…

I started WK in 2017 (already having passed N4) and got to level 2, became immediately frustrated with the slow progress and quit until March 2019. On a whim, I decided to come back and give it a try.

I don’t know why it worked the second time, but something clearly clicked. I stayed with it. I loved it. Not sure why I’m surprised; I did exactly the same thing with the first Harry Potter book.

Since coming back, I’ve made it my mission to be 0/0 by the end of every day, which was… punishing, to say the least. Lucky for my long work commute! But I saw immediate improvement with my kanji, which had previously been my weakest area. I sailed through N3 in December (convinced I’d failed it :eyes:) and set myself a goal to reach 60 by the time I went to Japan, which was supposed to be 1st May. Obviously that trip isn’t happening now, but I kept the goal nevertheless.

There were times I wasn’t sure I’d make it - trying to clear 50 - 60 with 0/0 at the end of each day was so, so draining, and I all but gave up over Christmas to spend time with my family instead of my leeches - but here I am.

Wow. Time to go eat some cake!

Edit: amazing, the forums are still showing me as 59 so this post makes no sense and it looks like I shot too soon :joy: :joy:

31 Likes

You can logout and login back to get your level up.

2 Likes

Congratulations!

Sorry about your Japan trip. There are so many missed trips, cancelled plans, and lost jobs around here. :frowning:

But you will be extra ready when you finally get to Japan. :slight_smile:

Now we will all wait for your golden badge.

2 Likes

Or you can reset to level 59

5 Likes

You may overestimate me, assuming I remember my password :joy:

4 Likes

Nooo you’ve screencapped my shame :joy:

3 Likes

all fixed. No shame here at WK. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

[Obligatory cake congratulations post here]

7 Likes

Congrats! It’s really inspiring seeing fresh posts from people like you getting to the last level because it seems so unattainable for me at the moment.

Have your cake, eat it, and keep the cherry for last! Well done.

4 Likes

Congratulations!! :confetti_ball: :partying_face: :tada:

3 Likes

Nicely done! Enjoy that delicious cake :cake: :cake: :cake: :tada: :confetti_ball: :partying_face:

2 Likes

bow hinata haikyu
Congratulations on this achievement! Now you are an official golden 先輩!

5 Likes

Congratulations ! And what about your future goals ?

3 Likes

Hmm. I still have to burn everything (assuming I can ever reliably tell the difference between 堀 and 掘) and I will probably keep at kaniwani too while supplementing grammar with bunpro and text books. At some point I’ll try N2, then maaaaybe think about N1 if I pass that.

Speaking and listening are by far my weakest areas now though, so at some point I should stop making excuses and focus on that aspect :joy: :sob:

For this one, I remember it by thinking that I need my hand to dig and you often see crosses next to ditches along the road because of previous incidents… But for most kanjis, I’ll mostly rely on the context yet ahah

Feels good to see that I am not alone in this case :sweat_smile: Good luck with that !

1 Like