Number of apprentice-level items you usually have!

When I started, I had more free time and usually had around 100 apprentice items, but I didn’t find it sustainable, and I had already purchased the lifetime subscription so I decided to find a pace which kept things ticking along but didn’t stress me. By the way, there is a script which allows you to choose between kanji and vocab when you do lessons, and when it offers me 5 kanji I usually select to do vocab, at which point it gives me 1 kanji and 4 vocab, and that way I get through both at the same time. I’ve found that preferable to doing all the kanji and then a stack of vocab each time.

1 Like

I’ve seen you as well! :smiley: Always nice to see more people join in on the obsession for check lists learning fun!

I think that’s the right attitude to have. ^^ Consistency is a huge boon in my opinion. Even if you’re not acquiring new things at high speed, consistency means you’re less likely to lose the knowledge you already acquired, since it stays more fresh. A little bit per day ends up being a lot. :muscle:

1 Like

I’m not sure, but I think it’s above 100 most of the time. Right now

I don’t mind the number of reviews. It doesn’t take that long to guru items I feel. Perhaps, I’ll change strategy in the future, but for now, this seems to be okay. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I vary between 80 and 125. However I wonder how long it will last. My master items will soon begin to review for enlightened and I will start to fail some of these reviews. The number of leeches will increase.

1 Like

Between 250 - 350, usually it’s close to 300.

2 Likes

The checklists fuel me :joy: It’s so nice to see everything I’m getting done, so satisfying to be able to understand quickly what I need to do next.

I agree! Unfortunately I am 200% the kind of person who tends to pick up and drop hobbies whenever I feel the inspiration to do so, but I’m trying to avoid that with Japanese since I think it would be especially detrimental to the learning of a language, especially one so different from my native language. But with my music, writing, drawing, crafts, etc, I also like to think that spending any time at all on them even if you stop for a while ends up with long-term accumulative value. I wish I was better able to stick with my hobbies but I just have too much of an obsessive personality and too many interests for it really to be feasible so I’ve contented myself with doing whatever tickles my fancy in my free time. That way I tend to enjoy it more too because it’s what I want to be doing rather than what I feel I should be doing, which makes me more productive while I’m doing it!

2 Likes

Oh neat! Where can I find the script?

1 Like

I like to be below 100 items, with all items app3 or higher, before doing new lessons. And then I like to not exceed 120. I do lessons based on review load projections for the day. How many I feel I can handle that day.

3 Likes

I’ve found that about 100 reviews per day is about right which means keeping apprentice items at or below 70. When they creep up into the 80s is when it starts to get harder to keep up and accuracy falls. Which means that I haven’t seen 0 lessons in months.

2 Likes

I was doing that minimum 100-120 life but life came fast and now I find myself more comfortable around 40-70. Once it falls to below 70, I try to do a session of 5 new lessons at least once a day (twice or more if I remember). But I forget a lot so sometimes I’ll get down to like 38 apprentice items…But it does keep things more manageable when I find myself struggling to do the bare minimum. :partying_face:

2 Likes

I aim for 60 to 100, 20 ~100 reviews and ~20 lessons a day. Seems low but I can clear a level near max speed at 8 days.

1 Like

I’m planning on keeping mine around 100 until I start getting burn reviews and have a feel for the full volume of reviews that entails. Somewhere in the forum guides is a good graph showing workload not hitting its peak until around 6 months in, so I don’t want to store up a problem for further down the line and suddenly get hit with 500 reviews.

Remember if you change things it will take a while to feed through the various SRS levels so I agree consistency is key at whatever pace works for you.

1 Like

I usually hover around 50-100. Used to try to keep to that range, but now I focus more on the review forecast. I know that I can comfortably do 50 reviews and start to get fatigued around 100, so I look at what tomorrow’s schedule will be and do new lessons if it looks empty.

1 Like

Apprentice count is 80-90. I do the same number of lessons everyday, so the count doesn’t vary much.

1 Like

Currently sitting at about 370, but I excuse myself on the basis of having taken a 270 day non-vacation mode break. I hope to get it back to more like 100.

3 Likes

It is around 70 items usually it is around 100ish. I started to take it down mostly because i felt overwhelmed since i started doing bunpro and tori along wanikani. It is mostly because of my enlightment count why i am have 100 reviews almost everyday (1100 enlightment😁)

1 Like

I used to have about 100-120ish apprentice items, but now that I’ve entered the quick leveling territory it’s getting quite chaotic and I always have a bunch of lessons to complete. I had an entire 10 hours of 0 lessons to enjoy before I leveled and had another 140 or so lessons ready :upside_down_face:

So yeah right now it’s more like 200+ apprentice items. I’m trying to keep the vocabs and kanji at the same level but that’s always a bit hard given that I only do like 20-30 lessons a day as to not overwhelm myself with reviews.

1 Like

I usually try to keep them around 100 mad Guru around 500.

Funnily enough, I’m at exactly 100 right now.

1 Like
1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like