Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

(Random stat! : 50% of the unique vocabulary in a book shows up in the first 33% of the book). So like, I think the optimal way would be to start low (like 5 pages a week) and then ramp up as time goes on. Even without the vocab stat it makes sense because you’d expect people to get better at reading over the course of the book.

4 Likes

This actually seem likes a really good idea :thinking: it would definitely help to overcome what @seanblue was saying about the difficulty curve, while potentially speeding up the whole process as well…

I still think you want a simple limit on length though, because of the time issue. You can only get so fast.

4 Likes

Nah, that old stuff is boring. How about the 六法全書 instead?

2 Likes

Also, even if you speed up, it should more or less average to the same number of pages in the long run, I guess, so you’re still looking at 5 months for 200 pages.

Short stories, like the horror book that was recommended a while back, are probably the most appropriate. You can just read a couple with the club, with an optional branch off for those who want to read the rest :thinking: also, you can get people back in when you move to a different story. I think it worked well for Autumn Prison in the intermediate book club.

3 Likes

Depends how much you ramp up! :racing_car: :racing_car: :racing_car:

2 Likes

@Raionus @Radish8 @Naphthalene I was planning to do that ramp up approach with 時をかける少女 for sure. Most of the chapters are conveniently 5 pages long, so I figure it would be good to read 5 pages for the first 2-3 weeks and then bump it up to 10 pages a week.

3 Likes

then 15

THEN 50 !!!

jk, jk

4 Likes

時をかける少女

Summary

English(from goodreads):
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time tells the story of Kazuko Yoshiyama, a third-year middle school student who accidentally acquires the ability to time travel after an unfortunate accident in a school science lab. The novel is the basis for several television and film adaptations, including an acclaimed anime film directed by Mamoru Hosoda.

Japanese(from amazon):
だれもいないはずの理科実験室でガラスの割れる音がした。壊れた試験管の液体からただようあまい香り。それを嗅いだとき、和子は意識を失い、床にたおれてしまった。そして、時間と記憶をめぐる奇妙な事件がつぎつぎに起こりはじめた。時をこえて読みつがれる永遠のベストセラー「時をかける少女」他、短編「時の女神」「姉弟」「きつね」を収録。

Availability

Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.jp/時をかける少女-角川つばさ文庫-筒井-康隆/dp/4046310073/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1537811093&sr=1-4&keywords=時をかける少女
Ebook: 無料まんが・試し読みが豊富!電子書籍をお得に買うならebookjapan

Personal Opinion

It’s a book quite a few people probably have heard of already and I personally want to read it, so I’m hoping more people will too(yes, I know this is nearly the same thing I wrote for porepore nikki)

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Tsubasa Bunko edition has lots of furigana
  • Fairly short for being an actual book(about 160 pages)
  • At least one other person seems to want to read this
  • Has a vocab list on floflo.moe

Cons

• Is an actual book, so has much more text than most manga
  • Likely to take longer to read, and may require larger vocab knowledge

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

These pages are also in the amazon preview, in case you can’t read the text.

Additional Pages

Page 32:

Page 21:

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
  • I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)

0 voters

3 Likes

Didn’t want to wait for me to post the nomination, huh?

Please add an English summary as well. I don’t want to needlessly scare off beginners.

I can delete it if you want me to(just figured I’d save you some time, apologies if you’d rather have posted about it yourself).

And yeah, I’ll go add an english summary.

Nah, it’s cool. I’ve just been talking about it for a while and was surprised. Can you also edit the post to indicate what page numbers the additional pages are? It’ll be much easier to read it from my copy of the book than from your pictures. Also your last picture is blurry so you might want to retake that.

Alright, I did. (And in case you where wondering why I posted a nomination for it even though you said you would: you also mentioned being really busy in at least a few of those posts, so I wanted to try do something nice. Sorry if that was bit presumptuous).

I’ll try(I’m kind of bad at the whole “photography” thing…)

1 Like

Yep, and I do appreciate it. :+1:
Sorry if I came off as a jerk. I was just making a poor joke.

2 Likes

@Raionus What’s with the “impossible, even with everyone’s help” vote for 少女終末旅行?

10 min later, it looks like that vote does not exist anymore. :stuck_out_tongue:

Definitely still there though. :wink:

I don’t think you can remove votes anyway, only change them.

I was talking about the difficulty.
Or was it a joke? :exploding_head:

I don’t really get what you mean then. :sweat_smile:

But @Raionus voted for minimal difficulty. So I assumed the vote had been changed. But I then realized you might have been joking.

I think you’re looking at the wrong poll. I’m talking about this one: