Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

At 275 yen a volume tempting to buy all 3!

5 Likes

Good point - to be ready for the offshoot book club just in case :rofl:

5 Likes

trouble maker…been looking for shorter stuff to read so it’s harder to fall behind (like the big books that are difficult and/or lose motivation)… now I had to buy all 3 of them…cuz with the exchanger rate it was only 7.11 USD…now I just need to remember they are electronic :wink:

2 Likes

Pleasure :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Ohh, I think I’ll get those, too. People also read them out aloud on YouTube so you can read while listening or however it’s best used together.

2 Likes

That’s such a weird story :astonished:

1 Like

I had not read it fully before, but yes, agreed :thinking:

1 Like

Just to give people a heads up, I’ll aim to open the vote tomorrow :slightly_smiling_face: this slightly fell off my radar, sorry :grimacing:

9 Likes

Vote for the next book now!

Who can vote?

If you are interesting in joining the next book club we run, you can (and should) vote!

Please look under “Current Proposals” in the first post for more details on each of the options, including links to sample pages which will help you gauge the difficulty.

Please take difficulty into account

Some people do find that reading something they love or know already is motivating / makes it easier, but please be realistic. Don’t just vote for your favourite story without looking at the samples and comparing to others. Remember that both language and density contribute to difficulty.

Difficulty Scores

The number in front of each option is a difficulty score based on club members voting, where 1 indicates “no effort at all” and 5 indicates “so much effort my brain might explode”. These scores aren’t objective by any means, so please look at the sample pages of options you’re interested in if you have time.

When will we start and how many will we pick ?

We will likely begin reading on the 26th of September, one week after we finish reading フルーツバスケット. If a short manga (expected less than 8 weeks) wins we will also read the second place option afterwards without holding another vote.

List of "short" manga

At a guess, the following manga would be considered ‘short’. This is purely based on a quick look at the contents page - I’ll try to check any manga in the running more carefully once we have some votes in.

• Shimeji Simulation
  • FukaBoku: Love Me For Who I Am
  • Nordic Girl Åsa
  • Rainbow-Coloured Photograph
  • Skip Beat!
  • This Art Club has a Problem!
  • Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun

The poll is now closed!

You can vote for up to 4 options. Nominations are for manga except where otherwise noted.

• [2.55] Nordic Girl Åsa
  • [2.92] Ao’s Island and a Cat
  • [2.18] Shimeji Simulation
  • [2.53] Rainbow-Coloured Photograph
  • [2.31] FukaBoku: Love Me For Who I Am
  • [3.05] Skip Beat!
  • [2.67] This Art Club has a Problem!
  • [2.50] Magi
  • [2.61] Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun
  • [2.92] Haikyuu!!
  • [2.71] My Hero Academia
  • [3.20] Great Detective Conan
  • [2.15] The Story of Kuuku the Bear Cub // Book
  • [3.14] Scary Lessons // Book

0 voters

You can adjust your vote at any time by clicking ‘Show Vote’.

10 Likes

How to vote for 7 picks with 4 votes. :cold_sweat:

12 Likes

I posted the poll and immediately realised I hadn’t even thought about what I wanted to vote for :sweat_smile: usually I go into it already having an idea… so I’m trying not to think too hard about it in an effort to keep the number down :grin:

5 Likes

Now I feel blessed that I’m only trying to work out five picks into four votes. Do I drop out this one without furigana although I think I’d like to read it? Do I leave off Detective Conan because I’ve already read it in English (or do I keep it in for that reason?) Decisions, decisions.

3 Likes

Right? I feel like I might be one of those people who change their vote before the poll ends this time.

3 Likes

I meant to say at the time, but it’s always nice to get some more book recommendations (rather than manga), even if they’re late to the party :wink:

4 Likes

I’ve never voted before, and now I’m feeling the extreme disappointment of all my picks being nowhere near the top. Damnit you people!

13 Likes

its still too early to call it quits. Just vote for what you want to read and see how it goes. Usually there are about 50 voters so there’s still some huge room for reshuffling, and people can also change their votes when they feel like it. Don’t give up hope yet :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Somehow every time I forget how addictive it is to watch the numbers slowly crawl up and how I can never go to bed again

Really I should have closed the poll while FukaBoku had 42%, missed a trick there

10 Likes

These books are also 125 coin return on Book Walker so effectively they are 150 yen each volume!

1 Like

My four picks are the top 4. Is it too early to close the polls? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

P.S. Haikyuu!! Haikyuu! Haikyuu!!

5 Likes

I was thinking it would be a lot of fun to read Conan. I also voted for FukaBoku because I would rather not read Haikyuu. It would be ironic if Conan loses because of my FukaBoku vote. At least the other options seem a little easier than Conan.

3 Likes