[Now voting!] Advanced Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: アンダーグラウンド

And we have a winner! It’s

傲慢と善良

@miwuc would you like to run the club?

10 Likes

Omg! Yes of course I can do that!

8 Likes

Great :+1:

If I did not miscalculate, the book club will start on Nov 11th, so you have plenty time to set up the home thread and to determine a schedule. Please add a link to this OP once you’ve set up the thread. :blush:

6 Likes

Here is the home thread for 傲慢と善良!

There’s no schedule yet, I will do that soon-ish.

5 Likes

I’ve added the schedule to the 傲慢と善良 😤😇 (Advanced Book Club) thread, it will be 12 weeks, please “Watch” the thread if you haven’t done so already and might be reading it :slight_smile:

If you’re still on the fence, here’s a tiny bit more information on the book: while I said it was sort of a romance novel, and seems to be classified in 恋愛 in some places, and the word 恋愛 in fact appears on the obi, from what I understand it’s actually really not a romance novel. My friend said it was more mystery-like? (which would make sense, since he’s looking for the girl). She also said it’s the kind of book “that makes you think” and that has a somewhat unclear ending.

9 Likes

Just a quick heads up for everybody that we will start our next poll next week (probably on Tuesday).

We currently have 7 free spots, so if you have ideas for good nominations, please fire away! :+1:

And if somebody could update the thread title, that would be very kind - I’ve lost my Regular status…

15 Likes

I copied what Akashelia did in the other thread

6 Likes

Thanks! :bowing_woman:

2 Likes

本の読み方 スロー・リーディングの実践

Author: 平野 啓一郎

Summary

Japanese

"本はどう読んだらいいのか? 速読は本当に効果があるのか?
闇雲に活字を追うだけの貧しい読書から、深く感じる豊かな読書へ。
『マチネの終わりに』の平野啓一郎が、自身も実践している、
「速読コンプレックス」から解放される、差がつく読書術を大公開。

English

What’s the right way to approach a book? Is speed reading truly effective? Transform your impoverished reading, mindlessly chasing characters, into a profound and enriching reading experience. Keiichiro Hirano, author of “At the End of the Matinee,” reveals the unique reading method that liberates you from the “speed reading complex.”

Length: 224 pages
Category: fast? (though that would be ironic)

Availability

https://learnnatively.com/book/6f6738676a/

Ebook availability: I think yes, but not totally clear: no kindle version, bookwalker says “only for Japan domestic sale” (aka use a VPN??), ebook Japan lists it. Check via the Natively page if you’re an ebook reader; I am not.

Personal Opinion

Recommended to me via bungakushoujo on the Natively forums, so I figured I’d throw this in as a non fiction nomination, just as something different.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• We like reading, maybe we’ll like reading about getting better at reading?
  • Non fiction is a good change of pace sometimes

Cons

• Apparently the author can be a bit pretentious…
  • Length is quite short by our standards, but OTOH it’s non fiction and I think that tends to be a slower read; plus many of the books used as examples would be in our “slow” category

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Moderate effort
  • Significant effort
  • So much effort my head might explode
  • I don’t know
0 voters
11 Likes

Ooooh that’s a great idea, thanks!

:rofl:

It would be super nice if we could read some (or all? :sweat_smile:) of the works mentioned as examples - maybe as a spin-off book club? :thinking:

One needs to use a VPN, but only during the buying process; after that the book can be downloaded to and read in the app just like any other ebook. (But I think that a VPN is required during reading as well if the book is to be read in a browser, which I never do, so no experience.)

9 Likes

It’s part of Kindle unlimited… Not sure what’s going on on your - or my? - side, but that’s usually a strong indicator that a book is available on Kindle. :wink:

Interesting nomination!

3 Likes

Odd – for me the amazon jp kindle link from natively says “The Kindle title is not currently available for purchase”. Maybe it’s a region locking thing again, like with bookwalker?

4 Likes

Maybe? I’m not using a VPN and I’m not in Japan at the moment, but maybe the fact that I’m subscribed to Kindle unlimited also factors in…?

It just looks like any kindle book page for me

5 Likes

I have the same page. The book seems to be available for Kindle and part of KU. I am not subscribed to anything. Not in Japan, no VPN etc.

4 Likes

Weird.

this is what I see (from the UK)

3 Likes

Click on your name. What region is your account set at?

Should be Japan like this

It might be a region thing, but I’m in the US and not using a VPN. However my AMZ JP account is set to a Japanese address (a Tenso one) as the primary address and region to JPN which might also make a difference.

I also only use a PC or phone to browse. The one time I used my Japanese kindle via US Wifi my next purchase required a VPN. Which might be a coincidence but it’s the only time I’ve ever had to use one so :rofl:

4 Likes

Amazon doesn’t sell ebooks outside out of Japan, only Bookwalker does (but not all of them, as we’ve just seen). Amazon doesn’t need a VPN usually, but if you haven’t set a Japanese address, I think that’s the message you’ll get for all ebooks.

5 Likes

Ah, that’ll be it – all my Amazon Japan addresses are UK ones. The account is in a weird state where the “address for digital purchases” is an old out of date UK one but it won’t let me delete the old address because it seems to insist on a Japan address to use for digital purchases these days (obviously it didn’t care back in the day when I got it into this state, because they didn’t even sell ebooks back then).

5 Likes

Happy New Year everybody (to whom this applies) ! :tada:

As promised, here is our next

Poll!!

Have a look at the List of Proposed Books section in the first post for details on each book. Every book has a difficulty associated with it (based on the book club members’ votes, thus subjective) out of 5, where 1 means “no effort at all” and 5 means “so much effort my head might explode”. The difficulty is annotated in the poll in square brackets after the book’s name.

Do not rely solely on difficulty when making a choice. Please have a look at the nomination posts and text samples if you haven’t already.

Expected reading pace: The proposals fall into two categories, Fast and Hard. We aim to read fast books at 30-50 pages per week and hard books at ~15 pages per week (that number might vary a bit throughout, depending on the book’s breaks and chapters). For manga, depending on difficulty and chapter length, we will probably read one to several chapters per week. The pick’s exact reading schedule will be negotiated before the book club kicks off.

Start of Book Club: We will start the next book on February 10th (after a one-week break).

Poll duration: The poll will be closed on 2024-01-09T08:00:00Z. You can choose up to 5 options.

Oh, and if somebody could update the thread title to “Now voting!” that would be great. Thanks!

• Fast: クォンタムデビルサーガ アバタールチューナーⅠ [3.13]
  • Fast: マスカレード・ホテル [1.9]
  • Fast: 虐殺器官 - Genocidal Organ [3]
  • Fast: 蛇にピアス [2.29]
  • Fast: 感応グラン=ギニョル [3]
  • Fast: 村上海賊の娘 [2.78]
  • Fast: 砂漠 (さばく a campus life) [2.33]
  • Fast: さわらびの譜 [3]
  • Fast: 風が強く吹いている [2.67]
  • Hard: 檸檬 [3.67]
  • Hard: 風立ちぬ [3]
  • Hard: 午後の曳航 [3]
  • Hard: 文字渦 [3.88]
  • Hard: 本の読み方 スロー・リーディングの実践 [2.6]
0 voters
14 Likes

I love this early phase of a poll where the votes are so spread out it’s impossible to predict which books will end up at the top of the voting…

11 Likes