なぜ?どうして?科学のお話 / Absolute Beginner Bookclub

Don’t worry at all! Lots of people don’t have English as a first language (I think fewer last week). And I just failed a review on WK because I couldn’t think of the English word. I am English…

What’s your native language?

1 Like

It’s German.

2 Likes

If its remotely helpful, we could log in a bit early and say hi in my very bad German! I lived there many years ago and like to practice a little when I can.

Oh and I’m pretty sure there’s a couple of other actual German speakers in the group.

5 Likes

If we know which section you’ll be reading (Chameleon), then there’s actually no need for you to speak English during the meeting, especially if it’s a source of anxiety for you.

And there are also a few of us who understand enough German to get by (without necessarily considering ourselves actual German speakers.)

Please feel free to use your native language if it makes you feel more comfortable.

Or Japanese.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for offering, you’re too kind! @nemurineko, thank you too!

But I think I will be able to handle it. :slight_smile: I just have to overcome my initial shyness/nervousness to talk to strangers online in English but after saying a few words, I’m sure I will be fine.

6 Likes

Not sure I’ll make the live reading tomorrow but will join if I can.

By the way, hope you’ve all spotted there is a thread up for the next Absolute Beginner Book Club read - レンタルおにいちゃん.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if I’ll make it either… On a little vacation so I may let myself sleep in. I’ll see if my internal clock still goes off around then. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’ll be joining the live reading today!

I don’t think anyone volunteered for dinosaurs or penguins, so I’d be happy to read part of one of those :slight_smile: (maybe like the second half of a chapter, I’m on the ebook so never know where to stop). Otherwise I can read any other half chapter :blush:

2 Likes

Thanks for taking penguins! I still really need to work on my katakana. I think it doesn’t help that penguins was one of the chapters I missed out. I meant to actually translate it today, but went for a walk instead!

2 Likes

No worries, the penguins were worth the katakana! :sweat_smile: Sorry about my mic cutting out all the time :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

Did you discuss reading again next week? We don’t finish this section til Thursday next week so I guess it would be more chapters from earlier in the book again.

1 Like

Yes, I think group plans to read, so post the pages please.

1 Like

I’m in again if we do another session! :raising_hand_woman:t2:

2 Likes

We didn’t discuss particular pages, just a general plan to read again.

I’ll possible miss this one as I finish nights that morning then start my long road trip the next day.

1 Like

Next week’s live reading session is: 2020-07-12T13:00:00Z

We’ll be reading pages 74-92. It includes the following chapters:

Goldfish (3 pages)
Octopus (3 pages)
Giant birds (5 pages)
Fireflies (4 pages)
Doodlebugs (3 pages)

As ever feel free to nominate a section you’d like to read in advance. If there’s lots of people there we’ll split the chapters up so everyone gets a chance to read who wants to. If you just want to listen in without reading you are very welcome too.

3 Likes

I’d like to read the part about fireflies :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

What do people want to do about the additional spreads (pages 2-9 of the new edition)? We started translating them in this thread but only got as far as page 4 when the main reading started. It started from here.

I could perhaps put up a new thread for the additional pages so we could finish them properly? For those who have the old edition the missing 8 pages have been shared above here and here.

2 Likes

I volunteer for the Octopus, pp 77-79.

1 Like

I’d like to read about Goldfish, pp.74-76

1 Like

I can try giant birds if I’m still awake. I should warn you all I’m on my third glass of wine…

4 Likes