Now, I don't want to get pedantic here, but

I get that a lot. It’s one reason I haven’t progressed. I type in the reading I’m used to and get told it’s not the one WK wants. It’s quite frustrating, and kind of means unlearning stuff I know in Japanese.

1 Like

Well that’s different, that’s learning the difference between on’yomi and kun’yomi. In this case there are two valid kun’yomi readings but one is missing for some reason.

1 Like

True, but not always kun yomi / on yomi. Example being 下 which can be した or しも. Get the wrong one and it’ll be marked down.

1 Like

I feel like if somebody sees 下 and first thinks しも, they probably need reinforcement for the other reading.

7 Likes

Or もと like in 灯台下暗し. Yeah, 上, 下 and 生 are probably top offenders, but I wouldn’t expect WaniKani to anticipate all readings of these :slight_smile: .

Perhaps. I usually see it in connection with place or personal names, which are usually the shimo or shita reading.

I have the opposite problem. I have found several of my leeches could be used across each other (maybe why I confuse them, sound similar words (on the English part)) so it got marked right, but when I double checked it was the wrong one!
So I have been filling out the Block list by telling them :rofl:

1 Like

You could alway mention it on Jenny’s update posts. They might put it on “shake” (not the reading we are looking for) so it doesn’t get marked down :wink:

1 Like

The reason I know that reading.

2 Likes

KaniWani allows this to happen and just tells you what you wrote is right, although they were looking for the other one.

To each their hobby-horse :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, considering how those are actually quite popular genres, I too think it would be good to add it as an acceptable answer or at least a “shake” answer, as others said

2 Likes

While there are hidden meanings, I don’t think there are hidden readings. If a vocab has multiple readings here on WK, they show all of them.

1 Like

think i remember seeing this with 止める and the alternate reading やめる but I can’t quite recall. Sure, やめる is usually just spelled like that rather than using the kanji, but it’s definitely valid.

From my understanding, やめる is usually written as 辞める when using kanji.
I think める means to stop doing some action where める means to stop something from moving.

Easy mnemonic trick - 辞めて、お兄ちゃん〜 is telling him to stop doing an action, not to literally stop moving
The above is a common enough phrase that it should be easy to remember :slight_smile:

1 Like

I feel like this would be pretty much the same as testing someone on the written word “wind” in English and only accepting “fast moving air” and not “twisting something, usually in a backwards manner such as a clock” as meanings. They should at least add it to the allow-list imo

1 Like

My apologies and I do not want to step on your toes here, as you’re further up ahead in your studies than I am, but I doubt this can hold true in all cases.

For example: > 偽物 is given als にせもの. But, there is also ギブツ as an equally valid reading. It’s there on jisho.org and in my Shogakukan Progressive Japanese-English dictionary. While I am not yet advanced enough to be able to ascertain how often that (ギブツ) reading is being used nowadays in under what circumstances, it does reflect the on’yomi reading of 偽. The にせ comes from 贋, whose on’yomi reading がん and whose kun’yomi reading is にせ, as I understand.

I am sure there are other instances where WK chooses the most common and appropriate reading for their vocabulary to help us strengthen the core of WK, the learning of kanji - and all those living in Japan or who have progressed further in their studies than humble I have can much better tell you what is and what is not used in the real world, either by being inappropriate/outdated/etc… But it would think it would be rather wishful thinking WK can (and needs to) give all readings.

Just my 2 cents and please don’t throw any rocks :slight_smile:

I don’t my comment is confusing or anything like that. But, I’ll try again. Here, on WK, if a vocab is given multiple readings, here, on WK, then, if you go under the “Reading” section of the vocabulary, you’ll find all the readings that WK allows, there are no hidden readings. Whereas with the “Meanings”, there are hidden meanings that don’t appear. If you go under the “Meanings” section, might find 2 given meanings, but including the hidden meanings, there might be 4 or 5 meanings for that particular vocabulary.

So, don’t enter “readings” that WK doesn’t show under the vocab’s “Reading” section, even if the reading is valid.

1 Like

Here is a recent addition that has multiple reading.
Both are given, if they hadn’t one would be marked wrong even though it is in fact correct.

There could very well be “Green words” in the Meaning section though, without being displayed. Other synonyms that could be used. The blocked words are also hidden (if any exists) It would be interesting to at least have the option to see these green/red words, but guess it could cause confusion too.
To my understanding there are no green words in reading, all are displayed.
But in some of the examples given in this thread it could be added as a secondary optional reading.