NounがAdjective and Noun-adjective?

Whats the difference between NounがAdjective and Noun-adjective?
I read that が is a identifier particle and after googling also that it can modify nouns? But there is not much information on how it modifies nouns in the context of Nounがadjective?
値段高たかいレストランはあまり好きじゃない How do these two sentences differ? 値段高たかいレストランはあまり好きじゃない

1 Like

means “price is high”

means “high price”

目がきれい (eyes are beautiful)

きれいな目 (beautiful eyes)

天気があつい (weather is hot)

熱い天気 (hot weather)

Someone more knowledgeable will pass by soon. Hang in there.

2 Likes

I’m a bit confused by your examples. Did you get these from somewhere or did you make them yourself?

In the first example, you’re saying 高いレストラン, as in “expensive restaurant”. The whole sentence would be “I don’t really like the prices at expensive restaurants”.

The second is confusing me. Did you mean 高い値段? I assume the sentence is meant to be:

高い値段がレストランはあまり好きじゃない
Either that or I’m missing some grammar somewhere

This one would mean “I don’t really like expensive prices at restaurants”.

So the first one is saying you just don’t like prices in general at expensive restaurants, and the second is saying that you don’t like expensive prices at any restaurant. Also, it would probably be a bit more natural to put レストランは first. At least, it sounds better to me that way. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I think one can back up here and think in English. What is the difference between “A high priced restaurant” and “A restaurant with a high price.” That’s all.

4 Likes

Sorry I copied it wrong. it should be 値段が高いレストランはあまり好きじゃない - Don’t like high price restaurants very much. It’s from Tae kims grammar guide. What I’m trying to understand is How the が particle functions as a noun modifier? 値段が高い NounがAdjective Because the sentence seems like it would mean the same thing without the が? So I think I need to understand why how が acts as a noun modifier and not just an identifier?

Thanks

In this case, the entire phrase 値段が高い is the noun modifier, not just が. が is still functioning as the subject marker, like usual.
値段が高いレストラン is a phrasal noun meaning “price-is-high restaurant,” or more fluently, “high-priced restaurant.” You can use smaller sentences, here 値段が高い (price is high), as a phrase which modifies a noun (レストラン). By placing 値段が高い, which is a full sentence itself, in front of the noun レストラン, you get the full noun in the sentence.
The sentence literally translates as “price-is-high restaurants, about them, too much don’t like.”

2 Likes

Because I don’t fully comprehend how the が functions in this sentence? I can’t understand how you came to that conclusion. is the が only being used as an identifier in this sentence? and if it is my understanding of が as a identifier is off. it seems like the が also is playing some other function other then introducing the subject of prices? Can you explained to me your understanding of how the がParticle works or help guide me to somewhere I can find out?

Thanks

if I the が was placed after 値段高いが Like this? Would that be grammatically corrected? and would the sentence read differently?

Thanks

would it be corrected that noun+が+adjective=modified noun? meaning that whole section becomes one idea?
rather then two separate thoughts?

Thanks

1 Like

I think you got it while I was typing, but I’m leaving the rest of the explanation below if you’re still confused.
Yes, the whole “noun+が+adjective” simple sentence is being used to directly modify the noun. Take a look at Tae Kim’s post here for more examples, etc.

I don’t think that’s grammatically correct.
が is acting as the subject marker for 値段. If you did want to use both 値段 and 高い in the subject, you would have to reverse the order: 高い値段 (high price). 値段高い is in the wrong order; Japanese adjectives should come first.
I think you’re still confused about the 値段が高い part. This is its own sentence, “prices high [are].” There is no です at the end, but this is still essentially a separate sentence.
In Japanese, が as a subject marker must come after the subject and before the modifier, giving us 値段が高い . 値段高いが, with が at the end, is ungrammatical.

In this case, this smaller sentence is being inserted into the larger sentence, and is used to modify the noun レストラン. By writing, essentially, “prices-are-high,” a smaller sentence, and putting it in front of レストラン, you get “prices-are-high restaurant.”

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the explanation, that cleared a lot up for me. Im gonna check out the link you sent me. :slight_smile: Thank you

1 Like

I think you might be over complicating, が simply marks the subject of a sentence. So bringing it to the most basic レストランが高い is the restaurant is expensive, where restaurant is simply the subject is the sentence

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.