"Not sure if these are good synonyms or not" Thread

This is harsh to say, because who would be there to translate properly. Japanese practice doesn’t speak English.

Anyway, I’ve found some answers – The difference between a Zen monk, nun, and priest - Buddhism for Beginners

In the English-speaking world, people often refer to Japan’s married male monastics as priests to distinguish them from celibate monks, but in Japan, there is no clear-cut distinction. Unlike in the Catholic Church, where priest designates clergy who can conduct mass and are generally more engaged with society than cloistered monks, in Japan the difference between priests and monks is largely semantic and open to interpretation.

One hears of Buddhist monks and of priests. What is the difference? – What's the difference between monks and priests? - Buddhism Stack Exchange

“priest” is used for senior monks, who have graduated and are no longer students. Note the quote above, which says that “monks and nuns can marry after receiving their higher ordination”.

I am not sure if I should be reluctant to add as a synonym between 坊主(ぼうず), Buddhist priest and (ぼう)さん, Monk in the context that they are not catholic, and I am not constantly translating between English and Japanese.

Though, there might be some truth in the 主 part, but to go as far as using two different words…

1 Like

I have one!

Is “particularly” a good synonym for 取り分け? Wanikani says “especially” and doesn’t accept “particularly”.

I can’t think of any reasons how I use the two words different in English, so I’m sure it’s fine?

I only hesitate because WK uses both “particularly” and “especially” as the default for the words 特に and 殊に, so I was wondering if there was any reason why they didn’t accept both for 取り分け. A simple oversight?

3 Likes

Is 都庁(とちょう) (Metropolitan Government) the government, the building, or either? No allow/warning/block list, I believe.

Also, is it a generic term of metropolitan thing?

1 Like

Regarding (), “to point at” is in the block list. I figured out some short explanations.

But I am not exactly sure,

(指す・差す)

㋐指などで目標とする物や場所・方向を示す指さす。「指で―・して教える」「後ろ指を―・される」「時計の針七時を―・している」

The government. The building is 東京都庁舎.

No. It’s named that because it’s the 庁 of 東京都. Other prefectures have 県庁 or 府庁 and so forth.

4 Likes

That’s pretty certain if not as an abbreviation. Nonetheless, reading Wikipedia comparing with English counterpart makes things more confusing.

Also, Weblio specifically say of 都庁 as

《「東京都庁」の略》東京都の行政事務を取り扱う役所。平成3年(1991)に千代田区丸の内から新宿区西新宿に移転。

Posted to JMdictDB just in case.

役所 primarily refers to the entity rather than the building. Japanese Wikipedia says it is sometimes used for either, but typically 庁舎 is used for the latter. If I’m reading it correctly.

English definitely confuses matters by using “office” for both as well.

1 Like

Not an English native, so probably more of an English language question:

I often put “original” instead of “original work”, which was marked as incorrect until I added it as a synonym. So my question: Is there a difference between “original” and “original work”? There seems to be a difference in usage, bc. at least in the 2nd context sentence from WK, I am pretty sure you could not change “original works” to “original”.

マンガが原作の映画は、原作の良さを失ってしまうことが多いです。
Comic book movies often lose the flavor of the original work.

シェイクスピアを原作で読んだことはありますか?
Have you read Shakespeare’s original works?

この漫画は、テレビアニメとドラマの原作です。
This manga was made into a TV anime and drama series.

2 Likes

For the second in English, you could use “original” as a adjective, but it’d be “Have you read the original Shakespeare?”

The term is pretty set in Japanese as far as I can tell, but I think original/original work are interchangeable for the most part in English.

4 Likes

I reckon it’s just WK trying to reinforce that it means an original work and not just the generic original adjective, but I feel it should definitely have ‘original’ as a secondary meaning, but leave ‘original work’ as primary to reinforce that idea.

Using original on it’s own (especially where the arts is considered) is very standard English.

5 Likes

You can usually use ‘original’ (possibly adjusting the sentence a bit) in place of ‘original work’, but you often can’t use ‘original work’ in many sentences that use ‘original’, for instance “The original meaning of this word was ‘to burn’” or “Thanks for letting me make a photocopy of this contract; here’s the original back”. 原作 and “original work” are pretty narrowly-defined words, whereas “original” is a much more broadly applicable word.

As long as you have the specific meaning in mind when you answer and not the general, I think the synonym is fine (but then I use anki-style answering on my SRSing, so I’m generally happy with trusting myself on whether I know the meaning).

Edit: also, I feel like this is one of those words where Japanese has a handy relatively commonly used word and English doesn’t quite have a direct equivalent (often preferring a different phrasing, like in the 3rd WK example).

6 Likes

If there is a comment section with vote UP :+1: , DOWN :-1: , PIN :pushpin: for every items. This thread might not be needed anymore.

As opposed to the fake Shakespeare?

Lol, as opposed to stuff like Spark Notes Shakespeare that tries to translate to present day English or any adaption like Gnomeo and Juliet