Not quite correct definition for 先程

if you want to be technical, in terms of history world war two wasn’t all that long ago so “a while ago” works! time is relative and i think that’s why people brought up this in the first place.

1 Like

I think “a while ago” is an ambiguous phrase in English. When speaking, its meaning alters depending on how much you stress the word “while.”

Even “earlier” is ambiguous though. I ate lunch earlier that my boss. / Tyrannosaurus Rex appeared on Earth earlier than humans.

Time based language is hardly ever cut and dry.

2 Likes

According to Dictionary.com, “a while ago” refers to a short or moderate time in the past. So I believe “a while ago” does refer to something that happened not too long ago. (Their definition of “a while back” states “also, a while ago.”)

2 Likes

“in a minute” wants to know this thread’s location :upside_down_face:

Perhaps that sort of handy information could go in the meaning notes.

If you’re using Chrome on a laptop or desktop I recommend adding the RikaiKun extension then you can hover over words and easily look at the other meaning which WK doesn’t include.

Useful ones can then be easily added as synonyms with the synonym in lesson script.

Temporal phrases are often vague and subjective. I think that’s what we can take from this thread, no?

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.