Noobie Here

I have to agree with Leebo’s point here. For myself, I’ve noticed I’ve gotten better at listening through kanji and vocab I learn here. I’m able to pick out the words I’ve just learned, and as I’m working on grammar (still important, but yeah, you can mime stuff too) trying to listen for the verb tenses of those things I’ve learned here too.

2 Likes

I like Core 10K breakdown more than WK expansion; and it is smaller too. Someone should upload it to Memrise. Although I am good with Anki, I am bad with Memrise.

I feel like WK expansion was pulled from Jisho, and it also includes uncommon words.

An upside of Core 10K is that there are 2 versions of vocab for each cards, one for regular writing, with decent Kanji; another one with full (and insane) Kanji. Problem with WK expansion is that it is over Kanji’d.

Firstly, it’s impossible to learn grammar without vocab. Secondly, I don’t think you can be good at grammar without decent vocab. Still, I’d say vocab is more important than grammar.

Worth mentioning is KaniWani (that is E->J). You would be bad at recall vocab without it.

Are you taking “minimal” to its literal extreme? I didn’t say “without vocab”. People’s vocab varies a lot, and you can have someone who knows N4 grammar with N4 vocab, and someone who knows N1 vocab words, but barely knows N5 grammar. That happens with people who go to level 60 here without proper grammar study.

They won’t pass tests, and they won’t sound good. but they’ll know a hell of a lot more words than someone who is at N4 level across the board, and in a conversation, I wouldn’t bet against the guy who knows more words being able to get his point across if he tries hard enough. Broken Japanese with expansive vocab is better than perfect sentences that only come from a few hundred words.

2 Likes

I have a tendency to be bad with anki and memrise both, but recently I’ve been on a role with memrise. Regardless, the download link seems to be having some issues.

Maybe @hinekidori can fix it somehow?