[NO LONGER SUPPORTED] [Userscript] WaniKani Lesson Filter

Was just about to reply saying exactly this :point_up_2:

So Iā€™ll just add that doesnā€™t appear to be exclusive to the meaning panel.

1 Like

Unfortunately theyā€™ve been messing with this part of lessons a lot lately, so I wouldnā€™t be surprised if this breaks several more times over the next handful of months. I have no time to look into this until the weekend at the earliest. It could also be a bit time consuming to look into since Iā€™d have to do a full set of lessons each time.

If anyone has a proposed fix thatā€™d be great, but if not Iā€™ll get to it when I can.

1 Like

To alleviate this issue I had set the Lessons Batch Sizing to the minimum (3) in the Wanikani settings.

1 Like

And with this script I can make it a batch size of one!

3 Likes

Iā€™ll forward your message over.

1 Like

@est_fills_cando I know you already fixed the blur issue in your local copy, but I finally got around to fixing that in the official version. Sorry it took so long!

Hi. Iā€™m probably doing something stupid but this script doesnā€™t work at all for me. This evening I was given 10 vocab lessons and only wanted to do 5, so I put 5 in the purple box on the right hand end and hit filter and nothing happens. The number in the top right of the page doesnā€™t change from 10.

I have ā€œAscending level then subjectā€ in my settings and Iā€™m using Tampermonkey.

Anybody have any idea what I can do to fix it?

Replying to myself like a sad person :grinning:

I think I figured it out. Even though it retains the number you last put in the box, it seems you have to re-enter the number and hit filter again and then you canā€™t change it without reloading the pageā€¦

You have to hit filter no matter what. The script remembers what you put last time, but it doesnā€™t filter automatically. This is so you have a chance to change it before filtering. Additionally, once youā€™ve filtered out items they are gone unless you reload the page. You can change the number and filter again, but it only changes your lessons if the number is less than what you already have available. So if you already filtered to 2 for example, you canā€™t filter to 5 without reloading the page, but you could filter to 1.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I really need to use this script as my puny brain canā€™t cope with too much at once :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

This is a bug report. After filtering the first displayed item is not updated after I apply the filter.

The order of steps:

• When I open the lesson session the Become radical is displayed by Wanikani.
  • I apply the filter to get 10 vocab items
  • The Become radical is still displayed when it should have been filtered out.

There is no rush to get a fix. There is an easy workaround. I click on the leftmost item in the item list at the bottom of the screen and the filter is properly applied thereafter.

sigh

WaniKani has been changing so many things on the lesson page lately, Iā€™m not surprised things are starting to break more. I should have time to look into this in a week or so.

2 Likes

This should be fixed now.

Also, to prepare for the future where WaniKani inevitably changes something that makes the scriptā€™s UI not appear, I added a way to filter and shuffle via the dev console.

I added instructions to the OP for how to use the dev console version. Please let me know if the instructions are clear.

2 Likes

The instructions are clear. I didnā€™t try it because my lesson situation doesnā€™t allow it but I am confident I can use this procedure.

1 Like

I went ahead and tried the console commands, didnā€™t run into any issues using those and the first item would swap out if I filtered out that category.

Unfortunately, a probably unrelated display issue came up where my the icons for lesson counts turn into mojibake when I do a soft refresh. Itā€™s crap like this that makes me wish WK would just incorporate these features as standard instead of depending on users + scripts to make up for mediocre functionality.

Can you take a screenshot? Nothing from this script should do anything with the icons, so it could be unrelated.

I canā€™t seem to replicate it now so Iā€™m going to assume it was either a weird backend issue that got resolved or browser cache being annoying. Sorry about that, I just wanted to put it out there since that last few official changes have brought out issues seemingly everywhere and often between scripts.

1 Like

No worries. Sometimes stuff doesnā€™t render properly if thereā€™s a blip in your internet connection. Glad it seems to be working now.

@seanblue I have tried the console interface. It worked fine.

1 Like

Perfect, thanks for verifying!

1 Like