No direct object particle in: 何か飲みませんか?

It’s my understanding that 何か飲みませんか? translates to Won’t you drink something. The part I’m wondering about, is why isn’t there a を particle after 何か?

Perhaps is it because the か in 何か acting as a particle?

In English, we might say ‘would you like a/some beer?’, translated as ‘ビールを飲みませんか。’, but actually means ‘won’t you drink a beer?’ The を points to the referred noun/direct object (that being acted upon), acting as ‘a’ or ‘some’. In this case, we’re using ‘something’, no longer acting upon anything, but offering it as a subject/noun. Besides, it would seem strange to say ‘would you like a something to drink?’.

According to the Yellow Book, p348, ‘in some constructions, the Direct Object marker を can be replaced by the subject marker が.’ The following example is ‘ミルクが飲みたい’. The milk is what is wanted, not what is being acted upon, thus a subject and not an object.

At that point, I think the か prevents the が from appearing, but I’m not as sure about that part of the linguistics.

I made notes about this last year. Copy/pasted below.

References: Japanese for Busy People, Volume 2, Lesson 1; Try! N5 page 46.

Indefinite places, people
When you want to talk about an unspecified person, thing, place etc, add か after the appropriate question word. For example

どこか somewhere; anywhere
何か something; anything
だれか someone; anyone
いつか sometime; any time

Omit particles, which normally go with these words, when it is obvious what they should be:

何か(を)買います。 I will buy something.

しゅうまつにどこか(に)行きますか。 Are you going anywhere on the weekend?

へやにだれか(が)いますか。 Is there anyone in the room?

but include the particle when a noun is used
何かおみやげを買います。 I will buy some souvenirs.

Never use が after いつか
いつか会いましょう。 Let’s meet some time.

5 Likes

@wunderbunny Ah! I forgot about the Try! N5 mention of that! I love that series of books. Now to go flipping back to it to re-read it. Thanks!

I think wunderbunny pretty much covered it…Here is a little write up in case you are interested in reading more: Japanese Particles か (ka) and も (mo) with Question Words

The question word + も acts in a similar way in which you sometimes use a particle and sometimes do not.

2 Likes

何か is the object in this sentence,
don’t confuse か with が .

Yes, having the を would be correct, but particles understood from context are often dropped in natural Japanese.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.