NHK Easy News

Same thing for #1. I think this article is easier than the last one.

1 Like

I think most of the orders you have proposed are grammatically correct, with the exception of

I’m not certain of how this works, but I suspect that there’s an implied まで: 7月から9月(まで)の夏の間に. I don’t have enough experience to be sure though: it’s just a feeling. EDIT: Oh, also, I think 夏の間 is a unit. It might be possible to say (9月まで7月から)の(夏の間), but these units have to stay in the same order (and から…まで is far more natural).

However, I think the orders with 四つある tell us, ‘As for paths going up the mountain, there are four in [locations]’, whereas those with 四つの道 tell us, ‘With regard to four paths going up the mountain, they are in [locations].’ The meaning is slightly different, but the information provided overall is about the same. I think with the second, there’s a slight risk of implying that there are only four paths going up the mountain, but the sentence doesn’t necessarily limit the number of paths to four.

When it’s just ため, it indicates a reason. It can be any type of reason. When it’s ため , then it indicates an aim or purpose.

I’m kinda tired right now. Spent a long time talking to my friend and going through some maths lecture notes in Japanese from his university course with him. Was quite challenging. I think that’ll be all for me for today.

2 Likes

(ひと)がたくさん(あつ)まると、(あたら)しいコロナ[ウイルス]が[(ひろ)がる]心配(しんぱい)があるためです。

:speech_balloon: “If a lot of people gather, there are some concerns that the corona virus spread”

1 Like

Sorry, I just skimmed through the thread - is TangoRisto working just fine on your (Android) phones? My app just won’t load for about a week now. I even reinstalled it and the problem persists. I feel a little bit lost without it but I guess I can’t use it forever.

④ [富士山(ふじさん)]に(のぼ)(みち)全部(ぜんぶ)(とお)ることができなくなるのは、[記録(きろく)]がある1960(ねん)から(はじ)めてです。

:speech_balloon: “All the paths being inaccessible was first recorded in 1960”

Something along those lines.

I’m afraid it’s been shut down:

1 Like

Oh damn, I just recently started using it and nonetheless it feels like an old friend leaving. :sob: Thanks for the information.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t even use it and it seems like a pretty big loss to the Japanese learning community. From the reddit post it sounded like quite a lot of people were keen for him to open-source it, but I don’t know whether anything ever happened on that front.

1 Like

Yup, seems to be the case; there is an update at the top of the post.

1 Like

Oh nice! If I’d just taken one second to look again, haha :grin:

1 Like

Why not jump in? Plenty of people to help you out. I’m sure you could do it without an app.

3 Likes

The sentence is about 初めてです not about 記録がある;

I mean, what is said about the topic (that you correctly identified as “all the paths (to climb Mt Fuji) being inaccessible”), is “it’s a first” and not the existence of records.

I think it is like this:
(topic は)、( { 記録がある} -> 1960年から) 初めて です

(topic は)、初めて です => “All the paths being inaccessible is a first time"

And which kind of first time is more in depth explained by ( { 記録がある} -> 1960年から )

I sort of guess worked it to be honest, didn’t look anything up except for 記録.

So it’s the first time since 1960 which is the farthest back the records go. I mean, records go back all the way to 1960, not that it happened for the first time in 1960.

1 Like

Planning on doing so! I just struggle a lot right now, so I try to study what is posted so far in this thread. The app was just for comfort, more or less.
Maybe I have not enough grammar under my belt yet. (According to BunPro I have about half of N5 grammar.) But I am gonna be more active from now on. There won’t be better practice than jumping head in.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I’m a strong advocate of learning by doing, mistakes are the best teacher. Regardless of how much studying you do, you’ll make mistakes and most importantly learn from them. I’ll try to help you if I can.

1 Like

If you need a TangoRisto alternative, there are plenty on the Reddit thread @Radish8 posted. (I’ll miss it too, even if I didn’t used it much. It’s such a convenient way to read articles while rapidly checking meanings and readings.) I personally think Japanese.io looks like the best alternative right now. Not sure if it works on phones though. (It’s a website, but it also has a Google Chrome extension.) Otherwise though, just showing/hiding the furigana on the NHK News Web Easy site and reading along with the recording is good reading practice.

You’re also welcome to pick articles for future translations, by the way!

As for grammar, if you want some free resources for study on the side, you can look for Tae Kim’s Guide to Japanese, Maggie Sensei’s site + Twitter, and various JLPT sites that you usually can find by searching ‘[unknown structure] grammar’, like Japanesetest4you. There’s also Kanshudo, a rather nice reference site with examples that markets itself as a ‘Japanese tutor’, with some features available for free. (I had no clue that’s what it did, because I’d always used it for grammar points.)

2 Likes

@Michikusa
Would you be ok to make the first message a wiki? At the moment we have to scroll up and down to find the article and the sentences and it’s not very convenient. If it were always in the first message we could quickly and reliably see what article is being worked on. I personally wouldn’t touch anything of your original post mind you, I would only expand on it.

1 Like

Sure, no problem! The only thing is…I just don’t know how to do it.
Can anyone help?

2 Likes

のぼ途中とちゅうやすむ[山小屋やまごや]も全部ぜんぶめるため、使つかうことができません。

登る途中『で』climbing half-way [manner of action];
休む: to rest, to take a day off;
山小屋: a refuge in the mountain;

:thought_balloon: So I think the first the first unit here is:
登る途中で休む山小屋『も』
A hut to rest mid-way during the ascension/the climb.

:thought_balloon: 全部閉める『ため』would be the second unit.

:speech_balloon: “So because all of the huts to rest during the ascension are closed, it is impossible to use them”

3 Likes

@Michikusa
Sure! You just need to tag one of the mods with @ and ask for the first message to be a wiki. From my experience arlo does it promptly.

2 Likes