New User learning Japanese

Hey guys - I’m new here. Any advice for a new user?

Thanks.

5 Likes

Hey welcome to WK.

So when learning Japanese you have kanji, grammar, listening to native content, reading native material, writing, speaking

Aim to improve steadily/gradually in all those areas by studying them consistently every day. When I say speaking I don’t necessarily mean conversation at this point. Just get good at imitating Japanese words as you hear them.

It’s also a good idea to find a flashcard deck with sentences that start at the most basic level and get progressively more complicated.

Aim to find Japanese content that you can enjoy even when you don’t really understands anything.

When you “level up” in the sense you notice you’ve become a lot better in a certain area there’s this temptation to speed up your learning too much. This has always been the main cause whenever I’ve burnt out a bit. Remember the tortoise and the hare. Slow and steady wins the race.

Have fun. Cheers.

Pay extra attention to how keyboards and typing in Japanese work. Took me until now to realize I had been doing things all wrong. Definitely read the FAQ on the site and stuff.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.