New to this site. How do people feel about it?

New to this site. How do people feel about it?

1 Like

It’s okay.

46 Likes

Hello and welcome to WaniKani!

Sorry, I totally don’t understand what you want to say with this o.O
~T :lion:

1 Like

There is a small circle with a number next to every member’s name. This number indicates what level of wanikani they are at. Your number is “01”, which means you are currently on level 1.

Obviously, the higher the number, the more levels they have completed. It is possible for members to go back to a lower level for revision of earlier studied material.

When you look around the forum and see many people with high numbers next to their names, they either feel favourably about the system or they’re trapped and can’t get out.

15 Likes

Yep, it kind of becomes an addiction

2 Likes

it is fine here.
reviews and stuff…

2 Likes

Btw: what does the color indicate? I’m always wondering about this o.O

1 Like

I love WK :heart: I’ve been studying Japanese for over 5 years now, but the kanji were always my weak point. I’ve tried sooooo many different methods, but nothing seemed to really work for me personally. But WK helps letting stuff in your long term memory and keeps you motivated. I think it’s this combination of things, that really make WK unique and - at least for me - the best method:

• SRS system (a method to store information in your long term memory)
  • Use of Mnemonics (a help to remember complex kanji)
  • leveling (for keeping up the motivation - I really don’t want to skip my lessons &reviews)
  • user-friendly interface (I use the app)
  • open API (thus I can modify and use other apps such as KaniWani to also learn writing the kanji)
  • helpful community (thanks all :heartbeat:)

I believe those are the five pillars of WK effectiveness :slight_smile:

Edit: I just counted… actually it’s six (I was never good at math :joy:)

4 Likes

welcome.
you will soon feel the need to set up WK as your homepage.

5 Likes

I wonder if my level will give you a clue ^^

5 Likes

White means they haven’t paid for a subscription, blue means they’re on monthly/yearly subscription, purple means lifetime, and yellow means lvl 60.

6 Likes

I credit WaniKani with allowing me to feel comfortable with reading. I could read ~1500 kanji at one point… now after a few years break, I’m back to level 5. Onward! (again!)

2 Likes

I feel very good about it!
And it has a wonderful community!
I really hope you’d like it here and would become a subscribed member!
Anyway, best of luck with your Japanese Studies!

7 Likes

The site which actually helped me to learn to read Kanji’s.

3 Likes

I really enjoy this so far. I was worried that level 1-3 wouldn’t be enough to give me an idea of what the system was like, but there’s a ton of content, and I already feel challenged while having fun. I usually stop whatever I’m doing to make sure I complete my reviews on time; not in like an “ugh, I gotta do this again” way, but like I’m excited to test myself and see what I remember.

2 Likes

I feel the emptiness and yet fulfillment that comes only from submitting oneself fully to the will of the Lord Crabigator and his prophet Koichi.

My mind is empty save fo the stillness of two thousand kanji.

Other than that, it’s pretty good. Teaches you kanji that you can use to learn Japanese.

10 Likes

Love it.
:+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

I have been here since April. I go to a Japanese class as a beginner and was referred by another student to this site, and I like it a lot.
I think the SRS system is well made. Without WK, I would not really know where to start and what to repeat, so WK is the thing for me right now.

1 Like

It’s the kanji learning system that has helped keep me motivated the longest, so there’s that.

WK takes the guesswork out of what you need to learn. It can be overwhelming looking at a kanji like 上 or 行 and deciding for oneself which of the many readings are important to learn. WK presents you with 1-2 important readings at first, and then other readings come up in the context of vocabulary.

WK won’t teach you writing, and at this time won’t teach you everything on the N1 or the Joyo list (but the vast majority of it). So there’s still some work to do yourself depending on your goals.

I see the value here so decided to do the paid membership, and I don’t regret it.

2 Likes

I’m not complaining.

3 Likes