New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

This is what they look like. I think they are distinguishable.

If you want to, there are user scripts you can install to allow for that, but not including an undo button is a conscious choice by the developers they have explained in the past. They don’t want it to be a default element of the site.

5 Likes

You may install this script. It will expand the functionality of Wanikani and provide what you are looking for. Warning: other users have abused this script and used it to override genuine errors. This practice is detrimental to learning. People who have done this have been forced to learn again a lot of material. That being said, when used properly this script is a life saver.

Don’t know how I didn’t notice the black and white before, I see it now. I still think something like large A and あ icons would work better than that minor thing, but at least there’s something I can watch for now.

And thanks for the feedback re: what the devs have said. That’s a disappointing decision, especially since they’re not running an app or anything where they could get negative reviews from people who screwed themselves over by cheating, but it is up to them. As I said before, I can’t use the double-check extension since I’m mainly doing this on mobile (Chrome on Android). I’ll just have to see if this becomes a recurring issue for me, hopefully it won’t.

Most apps for WaniKani have an undo feature built into them. I think the main one for Android these days is Flaming Durtles.

1 Like

I am level 60 and I never noticed LOL
maybe i did subconsciously tho

2 Likes

You know, I feel incredibly stupid for not noticing this (enough to make this comment even though I’m not too active on the forum), regardless of personally not having an issue with the gray-meaning vs. black-reading prompts.

I even consider myself extremely attentive to detail, though that trait has been declining in recent years due to {cough} aging {cough}…

Taking a drink of water after coughing, then a deep breath before a speech...

I have read a lot of comments (i.e. lurking but not responding) about this issue since the beginning of the year, and I still feel like I can understand where the newer users are coming from; even though WK has these features (grey vs black, 答え vs Your Response etc), they’re not starkly obvious enough to be immediately helpful, particularly to newer users, people just starting out on their Japanese language learning journey, and especially to those of us using WK on our smartphones (where features are smaller overall and therefore even less obvious).

For the 先輩 who have already been around here for years, I think these types of complaints don’t strike much of a chord, because of being a) used to the system forever already, b) consciously aware of the changes made to the interface over time, c) able to flexibly adapt to the WK system and interface through experience, d) whatever-other-advantages-sempai-automatically-gain-over-time-and-with-experience.

I think the more experienced we become with something and the longer we spend doing it, we forget what it was really like when we first started out. Although we can retell stories of our past experiences, no amount of hindsight can put us back in the exact same (psychological and physical) situation as when we first started. So I guess what I mean to say is: we forget what it’s really like to be new at something we’re currently used to/good at, which hampers our ability to see that situation through the eyes of someone who is new. We get used to a system or flow with the changes and adapt over time. New users don’t have that advantage.

We can defend the system and point out the obvious features, over and over again… (as I see happening frequently from the WK 先輩 to the 後輩), but eventually I think it’s worth stepping back and reflecting, “Wait a minute, there are enough consistent complaints from new users about the same features, so maybe those opinions could help us make the system/features even better, for both current and prospective/new users alike.”

This isn’t to say the WK team isn’t already engaging in such reflection and taking action; of course, they are constantly making positive changes to content.

For content that hasn’t been changed, yet still receives consistent negative feedback over time, I think it would be more beneficial for 先輩 to be more of a 味方 to the 後輩, step back and consider, “wait a minute, maybe it would be more helpful if x-y-z feature were different.” The 先輩 have more power and influence to get the ball rolling when it comes to implementing change, imho.

… and in no way does this at all resemble my current real-life experience of being the newest 後輩 in a group of 4 workers in which the least experienced 先輩 is already in her third year… and I’m the only non-Japanese employee not just out of the 4 of us but out of the entire ~2,000人 in the company (nationally)…

失礼しました。I think I need to go to bed. :sleeping:

3 Likes

Has anyone’s reviews been bugging out? I’ve had ~80 reviews that when I complete end up instantly resetting. I’ve done the same set of 80 reviews three times in a row now and it’s being forgotton by the system after each completion (e.g. if one kanji is burnt it will unburn and go back to the review pile).

Does it happen to you that you see a word made by a single kanji and you don’t remember which is the kanji reading and which is the word reading? I remember the stories, I remember the reading, but I have no way to remember wether reading A is for kanji or word.

1 Like

I wouldn’t think of it as “kanji reading”

Let’s take one example, for the kanji 水. There’s a reading you are taught in the lesson, which is すい. And by design, WaniKani asks you to answer with this reading when you review the kanji item, because it’s the one you were taught in the lesson.

The reading for the word 水 is みず. It’s valid to think of this as “word reading” because when you see 水 in a sentence, it is みず.

However, this doesn’t mean that みず is invalid for the kanji item. It is valid. Both of them are readings for the kanji, so it’s not that one is “the kanji reading” and the other “isn’t the kanji reading.”

Now, remembering which reading is used in the vocabulary is challenging, but it’s something that comes more naturally with experience. It’s important to remember that kanji are just a way to write words, and the word is みず. When you ask someone for a drink of water, you will ask for みず. Getting more exposure to Japanese and hearing the words get used will help you get a better grasp on what readings are used for vocab.

Remembering how to use the word in a short sentence like みずをください (please give me water) might help you with remembering the word.

4 Likes

Hello! I’ve joined this past week and have read the Ultimate Guide. Still on level 1, but I figure why not try and learn the best ‘system’ early on.

So I have a few questions! Maybe some kind people here can help :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. Is there any way to schedule a certain amount of reviews per day, or per session? I guess what would be useful is trying to ‘smooth’ the number of reviews on any given day. I see some people have 100 one day and 150 the next. Wouldn’t it be easier to have a predictable 125 per day, instead of a different number each day?

I’m hoping to do three sessions per day, morning, noon and afternoon. Is there a script or something that will split out my reviews into these portions, or do I just need to divide my daily review number by 3 and stick to that? What do others do?

1. Do people just use the given mnemonics? Is there a way to change these or look at alternatives we could select from? I think the problem is my accent. Some of the mnemonics given don’t make sense with my natural pronunciation. For example, a recent mnemonic was ‘cookie’ for ‘ku’ and I pronounce ‘cookie’ as ‘kuh-kee’ not ‘koo-kie’. So I’m trying to think up a different thing to ‘eat when I’m nine years old’! :laughing:
1 Like

It’s fully dependent on how many lessons you do in a given session, as well as your review accuracy. So, essentially, there isn’t explicitly a way to do what you’re describing. However, know that you aren’t forced to do all available reviews within a given session. During reviews, the button on the bottom left should have a little clock–that’s the “wrap up” button, which has you finish up 10 more reviews before you stop so you don’t leave any half-finished. So, you could essentially choose on your own to limit yourself to a certain amount of review each day.

2 Likes

Ok, so I followed the advice in the Ultimate Guide and still somehow I have screwed it up and my next review is at midnight :exploding_head:

I started a lesson at 8am. I came back at 12 midday for a session. I expected to be back at 8pm for the next session but HUH? the next session is showing as 4pm… hmmm… .well ok, I’ll do it now since that will keep things progressing. Oh look, now my next one is at midnight! :sweat_smile:

How can I make sure I don’t do this again?

Your failed items at 12 pm will come again at 4, and then you get them at midnight.

By getting the first stage reviews correct :stuck_out_tongue: But more seriously, you can do some extra studying of the new items between the first lesson and first review. But don’t do it right before, and not for higher level items.

Or if you start the first lessons at 7, even if you fail the first review and get the subsequent ones correct, last review of the day will be at 11.

Nope, I got all but 1 correct first time. The only thing I can think is maybe I somehow missed doing a review straight after the lesson. I dunno. Maybe this is an uncommon issue and I’m just good at breaking things :grin:

2 Likes

The first two levels have different SRS timings. I think the apprentice stages are halved, so starting out you don’t have to wait as long.

Excerpt from WaniKani Knowledge Base:

For Level 1 & 2 the SRS timings are accelerated for the Apprentice stage.

Apprentice 1 → 2 hours → Apprentice 2
Apprentice 2 → 4 hours → Apprentice 3
Apprentice 3 → 8 hours → Apprentice 4
Apprentice 4 → 1 day → Guru 1

For future reference, doing lessons between 8 and 9, then hitting the 4 and 12 hour review timings, can potentially have you get reviews at midnight, if you make a mistake in the first review, then rereview at 4pm. For that reason I like to do lessons before 8am, reviews before noon etc.

2 Likes

Gah! How did I miss this info? Thanks @Saida, this makes a lot of sense now :blush: I’ll tweak my schedule until I get to level 3.

1 Like

I’m on Level 21 and I do three sessions – 8AM, 2PM, and 8PM. I’m not looking to max out speed or level up in a week, just trying to manage my workflow. Yes, items will come in at midnight if I fail at my 8PM reviews, but they’re there in the morning which doesn’t bother me.

I use the Review Forecast a lot more than I used to now that I’m in the Death levels. For example, if I wake up to 120 reviews at 8AM but I’ll only have a few more added by 2PM, I’ll split up my 8AM review session into two more manageable chunks – for example I’ll do 70 reviews at 8AM, and then the remaining 50 will carry forward to the 2PM review along with whatever was already scheduled.

2 Likes

That info is on Chapter 2 of my Guide:

You probably missed it, because I don’t necessarily mention that levels 1 and 2 are different on chapter 4 (Building your own schedule). Will add a small note to that chapter to make it clearer :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks @jprspereira. I think it was the sheer amount of info to take in just had me a bit confused. I read it all but it obviously didn’t sink in. Maybe we should make a srs deck for the onboarding content? :sweat_smile:

Ok, new problem! (I’m having a few haha)… I thought level 2 was a fast level, and that all my kanji for this level would unlock at once. However, more than half of them are still locked. I’d planned to do them this afternoon but ended up subbing in vocab instead.

2 Likes

It’s fast, but not in the same way that the Reality levels are fast levels. Those are fast because most kanji unlock upon level up. Levels 1&2 are fast because apprentice srs timings are halved. You still have the second wave kanji to deal with in order to level up.

Good strategy to do vocab now, so you don’t end up with a massive level 2 vocab pile as you go into level 3.

2 Likes