New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

Also another question. At FAQ Payment Methods | WaniKani Knowledge It says “f it isn’t a credit/bank card or PayPal, we cannot accept it.” Which implies that it is possible to pay using PayPal, however I don’t see such an option when giving my payment information. Am I missing something or what?

you must’ve missed this part on the same page :slight_smile:

If you don’t have access to a credit or debit/bank card, we can manually accept PayPal for one-time yearly and Lifetime memberships. If you’re interested in this method, please contact us.

3 Likes

Haha it seems like I did, thanks.

2 Likes

So, I just started this. Did the first 26 radicals, then had to wait for 90mins or so before review. Did the review, but now there seems to be nothing else to do. No messages, no guidance. No lessons are available and the radicals etc are all greyed out (locked).

I’m assuming that I need to wait another couple of hours before reviewing again. But, can I not learn more radicals or something in the meantime?

Assuming I can only twiddle my thumbs for now, do I get a notification or something when it’s time to review again? Otherwise, how do I know when to come back…?

ありがとう

1 Like

There is no notification. There is a Review Forecast panel that informs you when reviews are due.

Forecast

You have to wait until items get unlocked. On your dashboard you will see Radicals and Kanjis. Beneath them there are little green bars. Every time you pass a review one green bar is added. When the whole line is filled the item is passed and something gets unlocked. This is how you get new items in your lessons.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks. It seems like a strange way to do it, but I guess that’s the system.

1 Like

It is done like this because there are pre-requisites. The system checks you know enough of the pre-requisites before unlocking the next item. This is slow at low levels but as you progress in level you will get deluged with work.

2 Likes

So I’ve hit level 5 recently, but since I always do my reviews before lessons, I ended up having a huge stack of vocab left over from level 4, which continued to grow while I got my last few straggling level 4 kanji to guru. I’m assuming that by default the lessons prioritize material from lowest level in order of radical, kanji, then vocab, and that would mean that to unlock the level 5 radicals I would have to finish all the level 4 lessons. I figure this would result in me spending a number of days basically just doing lessons, and then I won’t have any new material for a few days while I work the level 5 stuff to guru.

I know there’s userscripts that can let you choose the order of your lessons, but that they can be dangerous to play with lest you never get to your vocab lessons. Would it be a bad idea to move up new radicals (and maybe kanji, too) to the top of my list so that I can get through them now, and then while reviewing them up to guru I work through the rest of the old vocab lessons? This way I can continue to pace my lessons out daily without having that gap of time of no lessons while I wait to unlock new stuff. Or is it just better to trust the crabigator and his divine lesson pacing (and avoid potentially getting overwhelmed with too many apprentice items).

I’m also assuming that lesson order tweaking is something that changes a lot as you level up higher and the ratio of new radicals:kanji:vocab changes.

2 Likes

You don’t need to finish the Lesson 4 content still in your lesson pile in order to continue on to Lesson 5. There are indeed scripts that will let you organize it however you like. For me personally I find doing the vocab from the previous level to be quite painless as you are either reviewing kanji you already know from previous levels to make new vocab words, or if it’s because you just gurued a kanji it will give you a new reading for that kanji. If you ignore/skip vocab lessons it will come and bite you in the ass.

Trust the SRS system as much as you can, especially this early on. I always followed the lesson plan it gave me up until around level 10 before I started messing with scripts to set up my lesson plans for the day. There’s no time limit in Wanikani other than the one you set for yourself. You can sit at Level 5 without actually touching any Level 5 content for a few days catching up on Level 4 if you like — I do that even now as I inch closer to Level 20.

My lesson plan is currently 10 items a day. I use a script to break it down as such:

• 3 radicals
  • 2 kanji
  • 5 vocab

At higher levels the number of radicals decrease so it quickly becomes 5 kanji/5 vocab etc once the radicals are all unlocked. That’s just my personal preference based on speed and keeping it enjoyable for myself, but depending on how big my apprentice pile is sometimes I don’t even do 10. Towards the end of the level as I’m guruing the last few kanji that’s when I’ll start pushing 10 vocab every day to help drill these new kanji into my head more frequently in reviews.

It depends on what pace you can stand doing lessons. I am doing what you suggest but sometimes I need to do as many as 35 lessons a day to keep the lessons pile down. This way I reach 0 lessons 0 reviews at least once very level. This is quite a high rate for lessons. Most people prefer to keep it at 20 lessons a day or lower. A higher lesson rate will increase the size of your Apprentice count and this increases the review workload. So it really boils down to what pace best suits you.

If you don’t know which pace is best for you I suggest trying something that appeals you and adjust according to the results.

Hi, many people use the re-order script(s) in just the way you describe and are able to move forward quickly. As a counter example, I found that doing that let me to a larger and larger stack of vocab lessons that “I’ll get around to”. Wether or not you use the scripts, I think the most important thing is to have a plan and stick to it.

1 Like

Hi, if I am doing 15 lessons as I am right now, how many reviews will I get up to daily in the later levels?

I do between 20 and 35 lessons per day but one fourth of the days I have no lessons. This translates into between 150 and 220 reviews per day depending on the day. I am told that when I will start having burn reviews the number of reviews will increase because failed burned reviews will turn into guru and maybe apprentice items. Sorry, I don’t have better data for you.

2 Likes

it’s not about how many lessons you do, but how fast you do them. If you level up in 7 days every level, you will get A LOT of reviews. if you take it easy and level up every 2 weeks you’ll be at a chill 150 or so i think?

Either way, you don’t need to worry about this now. just do your lessons. and when you feel that you have too many reviews, slow down with the lessons, you should notice a considerable difference within a week already.

1 Like

The best estimate for review load is your apprentice item counts. So if you do 15 lessons a day, review 2 times a day with ~90% accuracy, you’d probably have between 50-100 apprentice items most of the time. I’d guess you’ll have about 100 reviews a day. FYI, this is a SUUUPER rough estimate.

At level 1, I’d say this isn’t a huge concern. If you start to feel that your review workload is too much or too little in future levels, manage your apprentice item count. WaniKani’s pace is very much up to the individual.

4 Likes

I pile on what @ShotgunLagoon said. If your intent is to control your review workload the best way to proceed is to watch the Apprentice count. When the count is low you do some lessons. Each lesson will increase the count by one. When the count is high you stop doing lessons until it is low again. You may use 100 as a starting reference number. Above 100 is high, below 100 is low. You can adjust it once you see how it works for you until you find the number that gives you the workload you are aiming for.

4 Likes

Not so much a question I guess, just something to vent about. As a formerly intermediate student I’m doing my best to embrace the early slowness, and was mostly succeeding until now. But one of my reviews today I was speeding through as I have been for everything so far, and I accidentally typed a reading when it was asking for a meaning. Now I’ve got one kanji at a different level from the others and it’s bugging the hell out of me.

I know it’ll even back out pretty quickly, but it seems like such a dumb, preventable thing. Why aren’t the interfaces for meaning and reading questions more distinguishable? Give me a different color or distinguishing symbols, or even larger text on the words “meaning”/“reading.” Have the developers ever talked about something like that, or has this been a complaint for she’s that is just never going to get fixed? If this is a tool for individual learning, why aren’t there overrides in place for interface mistakes like that? (I’ve noticed there are extensions that can do that, but I’m doing this on mobile, so no dice.)

I know it’s a nitpicky thing to get frustrated about, but I’m gonna have to decide to pay for this or not relatively soon, and this is making the doubts creep in already. Any advice?

1 Like

They do have different colors? Reading is black and meaning is white. Another distinguishing feature is that for readings the entry field says 答え and for meanings it says Your Response.

1 Like

I haven’t ever noticed any differences, but I’ll look closer on my next review. Regardless, the point is that any differences that are there aren’t necessarily different enough, and that it’s annoying there’s no built-in way to fix errors that have nothing to do with comprehension.

1 Like

This is what they look like. I think they are distinguishable.

If you want to, there are user scripts you can install to allow for that, but not including an undo button is a conscious choice by the developers they have explained in the past. They don’t want it to be a default element of the site.

5 Likes